Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-21-2004, 10:30 PM

floro vs. mono

I just came back from 2 weeks of salmon fishing in Maine. I was given different types of "Frog's Hair" tippet mat. and leaders to test, and I really liked them. What I am not to crazy about is using a whole leader of florocarbon for dry fly fishing. I found that is sinks just enough to pull the first couple of feet of line down just enough to make it a bit harder when lifting the line off the water. I think using a regular leader with a tippett of floro is the way to go,(if you are of the belief that the slightly heavier floro breaks the surface film, which in turn makes it more difficult for the fish to see the tippett rather than leaving it on top in the film.)
The Frog's Hair is very supple and strong. Just make sure your knots are tied properly. There are a couple of knots that they recommend, but I just used a regular clinch knot with one or two extra turns, using 4x and 5x, and never lost a fish due to the knot.
It is a little more expensive, but why scrimp on the last connection between you and the fish.
Any thoughts on all this babbling?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

I saw a demo last winter with frog hair. The reps were tying thier "pattented knot" forget the name, but tested the break strength with similar brand name stuff. Mirage, Stealth, Umpqua, Vanish, Seaguar. With the 2X and 4X material they were pulling almost 100% break strength on a meter, and when asked to hold one end of a rod while they pulled using this knot (its on thier web site) they nearly pulled the rod out of my hand. I was pretty impressed with the stuff. But never bought or tried any yet
Old 06-22-2004, 09:31 AM

Given frog hair to test?

DId you get a free sample from tom ferrell? He read a post of mine on the dan blanton forum and sent me a bunch of Flourocarbon leades and spools. If I had paid for similar stuff at a fly shop it would have cost me 80$. Nice guy. great product. great company.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:26 PM

Frog Hair demo

No, it was a good guy , who is the rep for Temple Fork and Frog Hair for our shop in Hingham, "Old Salt Bait and Tackle".
Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 PM

again

What I meant to say, was that I got it from another good guy.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:47 AM

I like to use a 71/2 foot tapered leader regular mono 4x then I put on 4 feet of flouro tippit in whatever size I need. This way the tapered leader is alot cheaper and the tippit spool lasts longer than one 9 foot flouro tapered leader. The mono section floats better.
I do alot of salmon fishing in the Millinocket area I like to use the Sci Ang 7.5 foot 4x tapered leader with 4 feet of the Seaguar 6x either a blood or a surgeons knot works well and you can fish a tiny BWO or a big caddis. The seaguar is really strong in case you get a big fish 5 or 6 pounds you can still land them