Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 AM

Cape Weekend report

Planned a long weekend trip down the cape with Monty this past weekend and was all fired up to fish for some stripers.

Friday:
Fished Pleasant Bay around the islands in the drizzle and wind but managed to catch a fair amount of schoolie bass and some blue fish. Monty just purchased a top water lure for $8 and a few casts later it was gone...got to love the blue fish. We were soaked like drowned rats so we headed home and rested up for the next day

Saturday:
Wanted to get up at at O'dark 30 for a long day of fishing but realized that during the night we decided to fish billings gate shoal and needed to replace the line on my jigging rod with some lead core line. After two hours of adding lead core line to the reel at a local tackle shop we finally headed out of sesuit.

We start jigging with the wire line for something big on the bottom as we were sick of catching schoolies and within 5 mins of jigging I hook onto, what feels like, a huge fish. The fish was taking drag and had the rod had a nice bend in it, when it came to the surface it looked like a HUGE Striper; I knew it was big because the tail was large. We got the fish to the boat, Monty says " Stop reeling, Ill get the fish for you". Monty went to grab the fish by the lips and she shook the lure out of her mouth, we both watch the fish swim away. She looked to be one of those big fish that when caught you will always remember but alas she was gone. Monty and I always say, "it is better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all". All weekend long Monty kept on apologizing for not landing the fish but I kept on telling him it is ok and that there are bigger fish in the ocean.

We fished the hell out of the shoal and only managed another 31'' striper but the expectation of catching another big fish kept the blood flowing and the arms not feeling as tired as they should of from jigging all day. The good news is that we were listening to the ship to ship charter boat communications and it seems that they were also having a slow day as well so I did not feel as bad not catching any other fish.

Saturday Evening:
We went back to Pleasant Bay for some more fishing managing another fair amount of small bass and bluefish. The weather was just AWSOME as the wind died down and the sun was nice and warm, what a great feeling!

Sunday:
Wind was blowing so we decided to call it a weekend and spend some quality time on Fathers day with the kids back at home. I watched the Red Sox game where the Ump blew the call at third base and then the Sox gave up a Grand Slam to the new Red Sox killer Edgardo Alfonso.

Over all not a bad fishing weekend, the fishing was slow but the catch rate was paced well enough to make for a good weekend.

I scheduled a yearly Charter out of Gloucester with a bunch of us ex cable guys this upcoming weekend and I will make a post on how the action was.