Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-03-2004, 09:10 PM

Lee's River Access Problems

It's official. The hotel does not want anyone parking in their lot or walking across their property to access the lees river. They have a rope in the back of the hotel extending from rt 103 all the way across the back of the hotel and up to the woods. Every 15 ft there is a NO TRESPASSING sign. I'm ticked about this. People have been fishing there way before the hotel was there. I'm not sure what sparked this. I never had any problems and quite frankly there are not too many people that fish in back of the hotel and I have not seen any fisherman garbage.
What is the law? You can still get in if you park at tk's and walk along 103 to the bridge. From the 103 bridge you can walk along the rocks and get behind the hotel. If I do this can they through me out? Do I have to stay within the high tide line?
This method will be a little bit of a pain but do-able.

I fished the 103 bridge on friday at high noon and managed 5 schoolies from 15 to 18". I missed a few also. Nice to get a few fish on the light rod and before the big thunder shower.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:50 AM

Access

They can do anything they want with their property.
However, in Massachusetts those rights currently end at mean high tide line.
Unless there is a right of way you would need permission to cross or park in the parking lot.
BBD
Old 07-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Ban Sluggo's

you are allowed within the intertidal zone (area between mean high and low tides) for the purposes of fishing, fowling and navigation, however you cannot cross private property to legally access the intertidal zone.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:55 PM

JimK- Its probably not a problem with the few fisherment that use the area but the motel was probably advised to install the fence for security reasons by either its insurance agency or a lawyer to prevent any of its clients from falling into the river. Just my $.02. Ron
Old 07-06-2004, 06:25 AM

Talking

Its a long shot but perhaps if you asked permission from the manager and explained your situation you might get to use the properity.We do this all the time out West and are sometimes rewarded. A thank you bottle of wine opens a lot of areas to fish. Just a suggestion.
FishHawk