Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-22-2004, 03:01 PM

Power pro question/observation

Fished with Power pro (50 lb) for the first time this morning in Maine. It casts about as well as Fireline, etc, but I lost a lot of bluefish right at my feet. It didn't bother me because I was going to let them go anyway, and I beached plenty, but I noticed that the ones i did get to shore had big, opened holes torn in their lips from the hooks. These were big blues with tough mouths, and my hooks were brand new, and realy sharp. I was wondering if the lack of "flex/stretch" in braided line puts more pressure on the hook-set and the fishs' mouthes, and tends to pull the hooks out. I had the drag reasonably low, so I don't think it was a matter of me horsing them in. I never noticed this with Fire line-has anyone had this experience with power pro? Maybe you need a more delicate retrieve when using braids. Great morning on the sand catching scores of 12+ lb blues from the beach. It would be a bummer to learn this lesson on the bass of a lifetime
Old 07-22-2004, 03:59 PM

I have actually heard similar stories about braid from a few people, the theory is that since there is NO give in the line as the fish makes surges and head shakes it is more apt to rip the tissue around the hook. With mono there is just enough give that when the fish makes a violent manuever the stretch of the line kinda allows the hook to follow with the fish minimizing how much damage is done.

At least thats the theory, but if you never had that problem with fireline....
Old 07-22-2004, 04:14 PM

I use 30lb powerpro and havent ahd a lot of issues like that
I also use 10lb PP on my freshwater outfits for bass and such and havent had much trouble.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:20 AM

I have gone to a much lighter drag setting on my braid outfits for that same reason
Old 07-23-2004, 06:25 AM
The truth is out there...

I do notice that the hook holes are bigger. When fishing with mono, my preference is for a fast taper rod--now that I have braid on them, they create a much tighter connection to the fish than a softer rod. The softer rod would dampen the headshakes etc and might help with the holes.

Were you using 50 lb mono before? Part of it may be that you are pulling a lot harder on the fish.

Like TonyO, I have lightened up the drag--especially when fish are at close range.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:49 AM

no, i use 12-15 lb mono most of the time, depending on if i use my 7' or 10.5' surf rod. i only chose 50 lb power pro, because it was the same dia. as 15 mono. the loomis 10.5 rod i have is pretty soft for a new rod. maybe i just have to lighten the drag a bit more. kind of defeats the purpose of being able to use a "heavy" line.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Salt Obsessed in Detroit

TC:

Yeah, PP has like zero stretch. If you have a short leader you can really do damage to fish lips.

A longer piece of softer mono will help.

I've gone away from braid for live baiting tarpon for that reason- the lack of stretch gives you no room for error. And I need all I can get.