Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 08-22-2004, 09:02 PM
fish at all costs

north shore report 8/20+ 8/22: stripers, blues, but charlie is nowhere to be found

Went out friday on a charter trip with my boss and some clients. We chunked for stripers all around the salem harbor islands and didi well, 10 keepers between 31-36 inchers. nothing huge, but some solid fishing.

Saturday, well, we all know how saturday was. Suffice it to say the only fishing i did was for quaters to do luandry with.

Went out again sunday. plan was to find bait and live chum out in some good tuna water off cape ann for sbfts and stripers or blues. First problem, the bait inj beverly harbror seems to have split. No spike/tinker macs, just a few small herring. Luckily, one of the chater captains I know had a bunch of spike macs in a bait cage and was nice enough to set us up with about 100 baits. So, off we went.

get outside gloucester, put some bait out, and my rod gets slammed. Set the hook, and it's off to the races. Just when we were convinced it was a smallish sbft, the fight lessens and we know its no tuna. It was HUGE blue fish, about 15-17 pounds. Then we qickly hit up with a couple nice stripers, one 34 and one 36. Then, it shuts down.

Over the next few hours we drfited and trolled around cape ann and picked up a few blues and a few smallest stripers. Looks like th weather has screwed the fishing up just a bit, but with the good weather over rthe next few days it should rebound.

I will be out monday to see just how fast the rebound happens!

e-sea-e