Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-23-2004, 11:10 AM

Problem with Okuma Reel

I have a problem with my Okuma Epixcor Baitfeeder reel

All of a sudden it will not lock. The anti-reverse doesn't work any more. I tried mving the lever back and forth, to no avail.

Any thoughts? Might there be sand in there? I had a similar problem with a reel, but after clicking the lever several times it fixed itself.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:26 AM

My buddy runs a tackle shop here in portland, maine.

he had to stop carrying the okuma products all together.

too many customers looking to send stuff back for repairs. big problem with quality.

I liked the price of their line, but after his advice i stuck with Penn.

Can't beat the Penn Liveliner or Shimano Baitcaster.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:35 AM

Help w/ okuma reel

Thanks for the thoughts, but unfortunately, it doesn't help me w/ my problem. I don't want to take aprt the whole reel to see where the problem is.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:57 AM

I had the same problem with two Penn 5500ss reels (I know Penn is supposed to be a great quality reel, I have had nothing but bad experiences with them :mad:

Unfortunately, I don't think it is something that you can fix yourself - I tried taking the reel apart after looking at the manual - no luck.

Since my bad experiences with Penn, ironically I have switched to Okuma and thus far have had great succuss (knocking on wood right now).
Old 08-23-2004, 12:12 PM

some of the reel company's have "blown-up" pictures of the insides to their reels to facilitate with home repair. you could start there to see how that anti reverse works/looks.

i've worn parts before to where they won't work. the anti-reverse is probably just not catching. a phlange of sorts not doing it's job in preventing the reverse action.

if you pop the main housing and look directly at the mechanism used to turn that anit-reverse on and off, you'll see what's not working.

I just opened a reel up for the first time last week and although i was nervous about messing it up it all went pretty smoothly. and i'm about as mechanical as a pencil. cleaned and greased an old penn with drag problems, anti-reverse issues, it's works great now.

just be sure you take good notes as to what goes where when you're pulling it all out.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:53 AM

Okuma ?

Two of my buddies have been using Okuma Fly reels and have had No Problems. They like the smooth drags but fly reels do-not to many moving parts. I have talked to tackle shop owners & fishermen in Keys , NY & NJ regarding other Okuma reels (spinning & conventional) and have not gotten postive feed back. They have all sighted problems with rusty bearings & other failures. I was considering Okuma I liked the price & look of the product. but having used Shimano & Diawa's for years I will stick with them. They have taken a lot of abuse & salt water spray and have always worked well.