Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 09-15-2004, 06:29 AM

Bait Questions for Waters South of the Cape

I am closing up shop here in Maine for a week to ten days to chase fish on the south side of the Cape. I have a good friend coming in from Michigan for the week and we are both ready to fish for ourselves. I hope to spend a few days based in Oak Bluffs and a few days running out of Falmouth, ready to cover water from Chatham to Nantucket to Cuttyhunk and the Bay.

I have time between now and Sunday to fill a few more fly boxes. What are people seeing for bait? I plan to spend most of the time targeting Albies, Bonito, and SBFT but will stop at a few rips to look for stripers.

Are there any finger mullet around the islands? How wide spread are the peanut bunker? Are there squid moving through the sound at this time of year? How long are the sand eels along the south side of the Cape? Whats on the tuna's menu in the waters south of Noman's?

Any help would be great...

I read e-sea-e's post this morning wondering about the fall run on the north shore. We are asking the same question here on the Kennebec. Fishing has improved over the past two weeks and there are a few macs around, but we have not seen the consistant blitzing typical for this time of year. No clouds of peanut bunker filling into the river. The fishing on the flats is more typical of August than September. My clients are spending a lot of time bouncing a jig or fly along the bottom when we are looking for bigger fish. The average size of the fish that we find over the course of a trip has continued to rise, but it is not where it should be historically for this date.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:02 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Just back from the central cape southside and I can tell you that there are just gobs of juvenile herring in the bays dropping down in the ocean. 5-6 inches long and fairly deep bodied though narrow when viewed from above, classic greenish blueish silver, big eye - the whole mini-tarpon look. The albies and spanish were whacking the herring as well as the clouds of these other tiny ( >1 inch ) fry. With no real identification made by me, perhaps someone else knows what these little guys were. The only peanut bunker I saw anywhere down there was at the boat launch on northeastern side of Buzzards Bay. Interestingly, I saw zero sandeels.

Fish On,
Dave
Old 09-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Sponsor

Pete: The albies I caught the other day along the southside were stuffed with small (1-inch or less) silversides or Bay anchovies. Didn't see much in the way of larger bait like peanuts, squid or mullet.
http://flatasscalm.blogspot.com
http://www.slamdancecharters.com
Old 09-15-2004, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the responses. I now know what I'll be tying tonight.

How small do you go on hook sizes for the albies when tying glass minnow/bay anchovie patterns? All the fish that we caught last September were on metal, as the wind was humping for the week we were down there.