Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Andrew French

North Caicos, Turks & Caicos

My wife and I are going to spend 10 days on North Caicos at the Ocean Beach in Whitby. I expect to hire a guide two or three times to go for bonefish, but otherwise to go out on my own for bonefish and whatever. Has anyone tried this there, too, who could give me the benefit of their experience?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:13 PM

Just returned from Provo, fished with Barr Gardiner, of Bonefish Unlimited, very good guide and knowledgeable. Had 2 good days with him. Would highly recommend.
Heard very good things about Beyond the Blue Charters on South Caicos.
Also in Provo is Silver Deep, Arthur Dean has a big operation a little pricey but very personal and does a lot of guided trips for the resorts.
Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2004, 07:36 PM

Bone-fishing in the Turks and Caicos

Just came back from a trip to Parrot Cay in TCI. Second trip in 3 years. Two years ago went with a guide from Silver Deep and it was a miserable experience. The boat was a Carolina Skiff with no rod storage. We didn't see a castable fish all day.
This year I booked with Barr Gardiner. We fished Pine Cay flats most of the day wading. Caught 3 fish 4-6# on 4 gotchas. It was blowing about 20. We then moved to another side of the Cay and ambushed another in a small creek.
The end of the day we worked a small group of mangroves near the resort and caught one a little bigger. We never fished from the boat. Probably saw another 15 fish that either spooked or I blew. In all, a much more productive day than I could have imagined.
The following day I kayaked from the resort to the same group of Mangroves but missed the tide by a little. Working this out could really pay off.
The big drawback to TCI is the cost of fishing. Barr charged me $650 for the day and both Silver Deep and Catch the Wave charge $780. This has to be the most expensive bonefishing in the world!
Parrot Cay is amazing. Great food, beautiful rooms and one of the best spas in the world. If you want to go somewhere in the Bahamas or beyond mainly to be with your spousal equivalant or the real thing and want to squeeze in a day of fishing this is the place. If you want to go bonefishing there are better places.
Next time I'm going to check out the South Caicos airboat operation!