Forum Navigation

Search

Old 10-17-2004, 11:05 AM

South Shore 10-17 AM

I'm new this board, new to the South Shore, and new to flyfishing for stripers, but the fish have showed up on the South Shore. They were blitzing this morning, coming right into very shallow water, sometimes within reach of my wind-reduced flycasts from shore.

I caught my first fly rod striper this morning, then about a dozen fish before breakfast, all schoolies, nothing over about 22. At one point I picked 9 schoolies in about 11 casts on the flyrod, all within 50 feet of shore in about 2 or 3 feet of water. These fish were voracious, all chasing the striper with the fly. I did see some schools of larger fish, but none of them came within casting distance, although they may have while I was eating breakfast. They were gone again when I went out after breakfast, I'm sitting here waiting to see some more birds and plotting my next strategy. Maybe over to see if some of those fish moved into Duxbury Bay with the tide. Striper flyfishing is awesome. The fish I caught put up a strong fight on the flyrod, I can't wait to see what happens when I tie into a fish in the 10 pound class, let alone the 20 pound class.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the board. Nothing like fishing a blitz.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:52 PM
FISH FEAR ME

try fishing plymouth beach and ellisville harbor state park

god bless the NRA.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the board Pushah, glad to see you got a taste of stripers on the fly before season shuts down.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:13 PM

pushaw,

Where were you fishing Sunday morning, and was it early? Tide was low at 0822 in Plymouth - were you fishing at low?

We were out 0900-1230 and found small schools of schoolies along Brant Rock/Green harbor shore in fairly close. Picked up a half dozen - they were keyed on narrow bait - Deadly Dick's and Crippled Herrings were the winners (the only producers, actually). Saw nothing along the beach on our way back to Dux Bay except a large mass of birds sitting in the water, post-blitz like, at the south end of Dux beach. Tempted to hang around, but were running out of time.

Into Dux Bay we saw nothing, sought shelter behind Clark's. Then as we came around the top of Clark's we were greeted with a large cloud of working birds. Fish under them were spooky, even in the 1-2' waves, and the mass broke up into smaller groups as we drifted down into them. We picked up one blue out of that before needing to head in. Had a nice striper follow my buddy's bunker pattern right to the boat, so they were mixed in. Blue was caught on a rubba shad, without a wire leader.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:29 PM

Fishing from shore in Brant Rock

I was between Brant Rock and Green Harbor as well, fished from 0700 to 0930, yes, at dead low. When I wet out again about 1100 nothing was happening and I went back to watch the Patriots and see if I saw any birds go by. There were numerous small schools under birds, the gang that gave me all of the action no longer had any birds above them, they were just hanging out very tight to shore in shallow water. I did see some schools that looked like they had a few bigger fish in them, but I didn't see any caught. I caught my fish on a Deadly Dick, a chartreuse fly (a Deceiver?) and got most of them on a Bunker fly. The school I was casting too didn't seem to care at all what you threw at them, they were in full blitz mood, but they'd lost their bait and they apparently thought it was in next to me. It sounds like you were probably out during the peak of the activity I saw, from about

This morning I tried again at dawn 0630-0730. There were some birds around again, looked like numerous small schools, but none got in close enough to me to even hit them with the spinning gear.