Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 05:57 AM
Reel-Timer

Article: "Eels in Trouble"

I've seen a lot of concern voiced on this board in the past two years about the lack of adult menhaden. I continue to see more articles about the decline in american eel populations, the latest being "Eels in Trouble" in the November Saltwater Sportman mazagine. Here are a few quotes from that article:

"European eels began declining in the late 50's - two decades before their American cousins...In 1982, Maryland's Department of Natural Resources conducted its first survey of commercial eel fishing in the Cheasapeake Bay. The surveyors estimated 1.5 million pounds of eels were landed that year.; they also estimated that the catch went mostly to crabbers. But Cheasapeake fisherman were already receiving a far better price for eels shipped live to Europe that sold locally for bait in crab pots."

"By the mid-1990's, Asian buyers were paying more than $300 a pound for American elvers." (which are 2"-4" immature 'glass' eels)..."The price has since rebounded to $100 a pound and elver poaching is on the rise again." "The rub was that so long as even one state permitted fishing for elvers - Florida, South Carolina, Connecticut, and Maine still do - poachers could buy a license in one of the unprotected states and claim they'd cuaght their illegally taken elvers there."

"In April 2004 the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission announced plans to reduce total U.S. eel landings below last year's meager one million pounds. ASMFC also asked the Fish & Wildlife Service & National Marine Fisheries Service to determine whether the eel should be considered a candidate for protection under the Federal Endangered Species Act."

The article goes on to say there are many theories about why populations have declined - overfishing, harvesting seaweed in the Sargasso Sea, habitat loss, etc. My personal theory is that the spike in striper and blue populations contributes to the reduction in bait populations as much as anything.

So my view is that as fisherman we need to start treating eels as a resource to be conserved, not as an unlimited source of bait. Next time you decide to buy 5 or 10 lbs of eels for you or your charter clients, or before you decide that Mr. Wiggly isn't quite lively enough and decide to put on a fresh one, please think about whether you'll even be able to buy an eel in 5 years (or for what price?) if their populations keep declining. Or better yet, maybe you'll decide to stick to the 9" sluggos!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Fresh-Water Master

Thumbs down Eels

This is you p claus about your precious little eelies and thats me the red guy so I suggest you end your start up a little and and let us use all the eels we want. They're gross anyway and don't deserve to live, plus its the only way I can catch my prized stripers, I would just like to tell everyone to use eels x 2...
Old 11-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

welcome another newbie troll...

Hey rubbers galore.
I find it amusing that your occupation once stated high school, now its changed. I know this cause your posts reek of immaturuty and a complete lack of substance. I looked up your posts up and it seems you love to add the , must be because at your young age you've recently discovered alcohol. ......I think the bell just rang, time to report to homeroom.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Salt Obsessed in Detroit

Such enlightened commentary surely must be intended as ironic. It is isn't it?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:26 AM
Free Willy

Yo Rubbers Galore, By any chance is your name Charlie Moore?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Fresh-Water Master

haha, as much as I love my new name "rubbersgalore", I don't drink, but I do love to utilize the abundance of hilarious smileys provided by the forum, no I'm not charlie moore, and yozuriman I like this one: just as much as this one: , I actually do love to fish, but sometimes I like to provide sarcastic responses to posts I don't particularly agree with
Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Warned...

Plastics Galore...check your email...

I'd have deleted his post, but it seems this thread is "self-moderating."

Sarcasms one thing, personal attacks are another. Be careful...you walk on thin ice...
Publisher
Reel-Time.com
Read my blog at AllThingsCahill.com
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old 11-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Administrator

I see nothing funny or any reason for a sarcastic attack on a post about what is becoming a real problem. Eels is one of the top baits used through out the summer. Larger eels (breeders) are caught and sent to the European market. We make a big stink about the decline of pogies and herring and now wwe should be concerned about eels.

On habitat problem is the dams. Eels don't use the current fish ladders very well. Some interesting research went into designing eel ladders which once become more abundant will help the eels navigate around the dam.

Hrmm getting an itchy moderate delete finger PG if Mark doesn't, .....

Old 11-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Free Willy

Deleting Rubbers Galore isn't the cure. I am sure he'll just resurface under another name. Yes his commentary does extend the forums boundaries of rules. However, sometimes a little sarcasm is refreshing to a forum that can be plagued with fishing reports/requests on where to fish. Going back to the original posts of declining bunker/eels, I wonder if this site has an effect on our fishery? Pro/Cons both ways............
Old 11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshfly
Going back to the original posts of declining bunker/eels, I wonder if this site has an effect on our fishery? Pro/Cons both ways............
Why would this site have an effect?
Because some share information on how and where to harvest eels? Or because most share information and a concern and support conservation efforts related to fisheries management?
Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Free Willy

This site effects us all and our fragile fishery. I think that this site certainly has a POSITIVE effect on us all & our fishery. However I am curious to how many users really view this site as a tool for conservation? Most people use this site, myself included, to learn more about catching more/bigger fish. Along with all the up to date reports, the odds are stacking up against the fish. Just a thought, I know part of this is me just complaining to the invetible increasing # of fisherman on the water each year. I won't carry on about this anymore.

More importantly where did Rubbers Galore get those wicked cool icons?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:00 AM

Sites such as this excellent one, as well as others, most of the time provide some great information for a variety of things. However, once in a while, they do indeed create a negative impact.

Down here on Long Island, NY due to the tremendous population we have, these forums often lead to crowded beaches, spots on the water, hysteria, etc.

All one had to do was fish "Turtle Cove" off Montauk Point this past season to see how internet reports effect a scenario. Ten years ago, reports were usually received days after successful jaunts to a given beach via, weekly magazines, newspapers, etc. The only "fresh" information was received first hand word of mouth. Today, you can receive updates almost on an hourly basis on the web, thus leading to more people hitting those areas fishing successfully. I myself often share the wealth. However, I'm on a boat fishing areas with little if any shore access.

Another case in point is the movement down here on Long Island to fish live porgies for bait. This past season out in Montuak as well as points west, this was the bait de' jour. Until this past season, it was rare to see this method employed even though it was popular for years up north. Well, it became so popular once again IMO due to reports via the internet, that this did effect the Porgy quota, and I'm sure will be limited if not illegal next time management addresses the Porgy plan. If not for the web, no way would this method have become so well known.

By and large, I think it will benefit conservation issues as well as many other positive aspects. I just don't think they're all positive.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:11 AM

i can tell you that this site has boosted my personal conservation involvement, i've joined cca and rfa since the menhaden posts and subsequent discussion...it has also made me a better fisherman and probably has also put me on the water in places i wouldn't have been otherwise....but its a big ocean.

overall i think its outstanding to have access to this sense of community of like minded people, something which is kinda hard to find as a solo fisherman.

my only complaint is that this time of year we seem to be down to the crusty, hard-core, tight lipped, salty characters november fishing is supposed to involve!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:46 AM

http://www.seaweb.org/background/boo...ican_eels.html

Three species of parasite have been introduced into the American eel population, a result of the eel aquaculture trade and, possibly, ballast water transfer. There is particular concern over the Asian swimbladder nematode, Anguillicola crassus, and the possibility that any widespread infestation could lead to significant declines in overall eel numbers.

among a long list
Old 11-04-2004, 11:48 AM

The artic ice cap is melting due to all the cars and boats on the planet. In another few years there will be more water for the eels and fish to live in.
Closed Thread