Forum Navigation

Search

Old 11-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Salt Obsessed in Detroit

It ain't tuna......

But the depression of knowing that you just fished your last salt trip for the year needed to be countered w/ a trip to the Manistee. So away we go- to the North western corner of the mitten. Thursday was a killer day going 7 for 8 on bright chrome steelhead. Friday started out at 17 degees. After the boat froze to the ramp, and I lost all feeling in my rod hand, and the heaters on the boat were running for 4 hours, we figured it was cold........The fish were also not happy and didn't show. At all. Not one. I told my wife that's why I always book more than one day. Anyway, until next year you kings of New England!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Veteran reel-timer

I have to say it looks like you are holding up pretty well there in the hinterlands!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Steelheader & Albieholic

Nice fish, Peter...and 7 for 8 is a pretty respectable day. Too bad Friday was so cold (Saturday wasn't much better). I have not been out as much as I usually do this time of year but will be out on Saturday, about 10 miles or so upstream from where you were. I am still planning on the 7th, 8th, or 9th of December if you are up for it. We should be able to find a fish or two Talk to you later!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:32 AM
fly fishing nut

Talking love them land locked tuna's pic's

you guy are most likely feeling like eskimos like me with all these saltwater guys by the way great pic's wish i could talk my dad in to takingthe four hour trip to manistee from the novi area here in michigan to lazy you know!!!!

good luck and very tight line rhino
Old 11-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Punk @ss Veteran RT'er

It ain't tuna...

It ain't wishin' you were fishin' neither. At least you're out there braving the elements and fishing. Many of us in N.E. have already called it quits... including me.

I just might get a freshwater license next year. I actually like standing in thawed, icy cold water in search of trout.

Paul
Old 11-20-2004, 10:04 AM

OK Peter,

Speaking of "It ain't over yet", here's what I'm still stuck with for the next few months at least. Air temp 50 degrees.

And these are NOT Wal-Mart steelhead but the real thing that migrate through the Aleutians and get chased by Orca and seals. AND have orange flesh (and taste!) from eating salt water custraceans.

But then, I AM escaping to Miami in 2 weeks.

http://www.flyfishingfotography.com

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

Here's looking at you...kid

Old 11-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Punk @ss Veteran RT'er

Oh no! Miami in two weeks? What a tough life...
Old 11-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Steelheader & Albieholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatricelli
Air temp 50 degrees.
Is that the Grand Ronde? Nice Picture!

It was 50 degrees today with a persistent drizzle...perfect steelhead day on the same river LandlockedinMI fished last week

Fishing was pretty good as well as I bastardized my "mini-spey" by running yarn eggs and stonefly nymphs under a strike indicator (aka bobber) . Fish count was 2 for 3, releasing a pair of cookie cutter 8lb female "walmart fish", complete with clipped right pec fins (our famous Michigan Little Manistee Winter strain). The plump and fiesty browns cooperated nicely as well with a surprising average size of 14" to nearly 20".
Old 11-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Break Neck Speed

Peter you suck! Wish I were you!

Old 11-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Salt Obsessed in Detroit

Way to go Doc! That's a beaut. FFM got out during a warm spell. Just ain't fun without ice in the guides and losing feeling in your hands.....

HAd some guys take a couple of large pike outta my lake on Saturday- around 55 degrees. They're out in t shirts and shorts. Nuthin like a heat wave.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:20 PM

Thanks for posting this picture. It reminds me of our late black lab Riva - she used to LOVE fishing with me and struck that pose hundreds of times. 95 pounds of beautiful, affectionate, and faithful dog.

Oh, nice fish too.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Steelheader & Albieholic

Darn right it ain't tuna...but its chrome!

Snow was flying this afternoon when I snuck out early from work. Forecast is calling for 5"-8"!!! After fishing through the run that produced so well on Sunday, I gave another spot a good shot. 8lbs of pure chrome MALE steelhead grabbed my fly and put a nice bend in my 6wt First "wild" (non-hatchery) fish of the fall, carefully released to catch some other day.

Got back to the car after only an hour of fishing, to scrape off a good 2" of the white stuff. Roads were fun on the drive home but I eventually made it

LandlockedinMI...we should catch some fish when we play hooky!!!

Any other "salt loving", displaced, stuck in the Midwest, Reel-timers out there?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Steelheader & Albieholic

Quote:
And these are NOT Wal-Mart steelhead but the real thing
Orca must have bitten off his adipose fin? (LOL) Once again, absolutely beautiful fish....the red stripe is amazing! It must be neat catching steelhead where they belong. Not that I am complaining about "invasive species" like Great Lakes steelhead (you Pacific NW guys can have your salmon back, though)

Last edited by FlyFishMich; 11-24-2004 at 07:06 PM..
Old 11-24-2004, 09:13 PM

"you Pacific NW guys can have your salmon back, though"

So I suppose you think it is better to have Alewives than no wives at all.... Do you remember????

PMP

http://www.flyfishingfotography.com

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

Here's looking at you...kid

Old 11-25-2004, 07:36 AM
Steelheader & Albieholic

Quote:
So I suppose you think it is better to have Alewives than no wives at all.... Do you remember????
They plant so many salmon that the alewive populations have started to crash out here, particularly in Lake Huron. Not to mention that the zebra mussels are filtering all the plankton out of the water so that the alewives, and other juvenile native species, have little to eat, at times.

Basically, if they spent 1/2 of what they spend on salmon, and put that into steelhead, I would be quite happy.

Salmon have taught generations out here some very bad (and disgusting) habits. The most sneaky snagger of all are the guys with flyrods, slinky weights, and running lines on the reels, purportedly "flyfishing" for the salmon....give me a break! Unfortunately, those same people slaughter the steelhead in the Spring.

Oh yes, I want my cake and eat it too!