Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > Florida

Old 02-17-2005, 11:36 AM

Bradenton beach area in April, any tips?

My wife and 2 babies are going to visit inlaws on Bradenton Beach in April. I can't get away for a guided day but will bring a rod to poke around if I get a chance to sneak out. Anybody have any advice on if there is anything in the surf in april or any cuts or coves that would be worth casting a fly into. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim
Old 02-19-2005, 07:24 AM

Bradenton beach ideas

Hi:

I live in Tierra Verde...the north side of the BayBridge close to Ft. DeSoto but know the area well in Bradenton beach. The water should have warmed up by then, and bait fish greenbacks coming into shore. If you take the beach road south past the parking lots that enter the beaches....right at the small bridge that enters LongBoat Key....the under that bridge is great fishing for mangrove snapper....incoming tide when it starts and outgoing for the first hour...thereafter, when the tide is fast, the channel really is swift and you need not wade too far into it....really tough currents. Also, their are a lot of rocks by the bridge...so recommend light sinkers. I think you may have said flyfishing....topwater stuff is good for trout which there should be plenty of there. Speckled and silver. Also, if you follow the channel...out toward the gulf...walk along and likely will see snook and surely, by than have a shot of hitting one....they are less spooked at the end of the rocks closer to the gulf.

Good luck and let me know how you do.

Col mike
Old 02-24-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks a lot Mike. I will most certainly try your spot and let you know how I do. Never caught a sea trout or a snook...can't wait.
Jim