Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Conservation and Ecology

View Poll Results: Should Massachusetts Institute a Saltwater Fishing License?
Yes 87 63.04%
No 41 29.71%
Undecided 10 7.25%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2005, 08:14 PM
reel-timer

I'm with Ray, David and Sam on this issue ... not a nickel of license fees should go to enforcement, but sending fines there builds enforcement. It's just another tax but one I'm willing to pay if the money helps the resource and not some greedy official. This also should be part of a single purchase for fresh, salt and hunting in a single permit if desired by the purchaser.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 AM

hell no...comm. license is bad enough
Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 AM

I'm with Sickdog on this one. You know all $$ would go straight into the general fund and I would all but guarantee that it would do nothing to curb illegal fishing activities. Other New England states would do the same thing and we'll all need to shell out $ x (states fished). Forget it.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:32 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
I am for a reasonably priced ($20 - $30) SW license….only if I am assured that 100% of the the funds go directly to SW fishing resources and specifically related needs.

License revenue going into the general fund that may be used for SW fishing resources is not enough for me.
I'd back it under these circumstances and if it were a coastwise license.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 10-31-2005, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP
And the chances of getting a license with guaranteed (or even promised) for specificity as to the revenue stream in the people's republic of taxachusetts are exactly ZERO. Unfortunately, the concept is DOA and hardly merits a discussion...

CMP
Often wrong but never in doubt!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 AM
That's Some Bad Hat Harry

Fee'd! Out

May work for some but not for me, If I have to pay for another license, my wife would kill me. MA Sporting License + Archery Stamp+Muzzleloader+Duck Stamp+PA Fishing & Hunting+Antlerless Permits+ME Hunitng+Multiple Species+special Archry+Expanded Archery+Fishing+NH Big Game, The list goes on! $1200 this year alone in License fees- Fishing & Hunting.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:46 PM

there has been 1100 views of this thread and only 79 votes. that is totally ridiculous. Whatever your views are, if you dont vote, you dont count./..l

"if you are all an act, then what am I??"- a quote from Stephen Colbert to Bill O'Reilly
Old 12-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Stripah: If you’ll log onto the link provided by David and carefully read the piece, you’ll see that misappropriation of funds is not possible. I will try to get permission to posts the whole text.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Thunoholic

The real issue isn’t just misuse of funds, it’s the use of funds

In a small way, I am concerned about overhead/administrative waste and possible redirection of funds out of the core goal and into projects like the Big Dig (anything is possible once the funds are in the State’s coffers – although unlikely as Perch notes.); but the real issue is how, where and what the funds are used for?

As a pure recreational fisherman, I’d like to see funds used to protect spawning grounds and promote clean water with the ultimate goal of restoring the quantity and quality of gamefish to an optimal level. Specifically, I would:
(1) Reduce harvesting/netting annual allotments, and reduce harvesting/netting activities in key areas during key seasonal migrations and spawns, with particular attention to protecting bait.
(2) Enforce strict/harsh penalties for keeping shorts and more then daily limits allow.

But I’m a recreational fisherman who keeps very few fish, and never keeps what I don’t eat. On the other end of the spectrum will be people who fish for a living as well as recreation, who will want to ensure their livelihood is protected. Although our goals are the same across the spectrum, everyone wants more and bigger fish available to them, the process and desire to get there is very different.

So the real questions are:
(1) If we do all pay for a saltwater license, what exactly will the funds be used for?
(2) How much will it cost to achieve these goals annually?

With these questions on the table, how do we “the recreational fishing community” put together a clear list of objectives that we all mostly agree with, determine the annual cost to achieve these goals, and present it to legislators as a real option?

OceanRunner – Running from office…
Old 01-08-2006, 03:39 PM

I'm against it only because I do not believe that the money will go where it should.
It would only create a sit down job for some slob to collect money for doing nothing.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Out there.

Question Saltwater License

Undecided about the licence. As long as the money went towards things that will help benefit the fisherman, like ramps and projects it wouldent be so bad. But on the otherhand who is going to enforce the licence? How much will it cost? There isnt even enough enforcement of the boating laws to the extent that it is dangerous to be in some harbors and rivers during the weekend, so who is going to enforce the license? It would be overly unfair if I shelled out the money for the license and the 4 or 5 guys fishing around me havent. If there is a logical proposal it might be a good idea, but in my mind that isnt going to happen anytime soon because the lawmakers are too busy thinking of other ways to screw us.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GAFFMAN
May work for some but not for me, If I have to pay for another license, my wife would kill me. MA Sporting License + Archery Stamp+Muzzleloader+Duck Stamp+PA Fishing & Hunting+Antlerless Permits+ME Hunitng+Multiple Species+special Archry+Expanded Archery+Fishing+NH Big Game, The list goes on! $1200 this year alone in License fees- Fishing & Hunting.
Must be having a lot of fun!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 AM

MA fishing license

Just look at past history where a number of former MA Governors (Romney being the last) raided the State Fish & Game funds, only to be "returned" when the Feds stepped in and presented a net loss of funds to the State if they didn't return the F&G funds.

Tell me again that won't ever happen...(don't worry-I won't believe you).
Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 PM

The fact that anyone would be in favor of giving the theives on bacon hill another means of entry into your pocket is an amazing thing to me. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. The past is replete with instances of scumbag pols in massholachusetts stealing the taxpayer blind. Yet you guys want to trust them again? I just don't get what makes you think this time will be any different???

CMP

H.L.Mencken
Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 AM

The fact of the matter is that unless someone changes the Magnuson act, it is not a matter of if you are going to have a saltwater license. The only choice is who are you going to pay for it. The feds or the state