Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Middleboro Herring

Just wondering if anyone has been down there yet. Any fish in yet? Are the wardens there yet? Thanks for saving me the trip!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:02 PM

Baymen has them "stacked up", though he tends to be a bit over enthusiastic
Old 03-30-2005, 04:13 PM

Stirring the Pot/Thread Drift

I know, Im guilty of both but.... I dont understand why folks continue to take herring from the runs, knowing full well that the local herring population is in steep decline, just for the purpose of sport fishing. I am able to take plenty of keeper sized fish using only flies and other artificial lures year in and year out. Granted the largest bass I have caught was a 35lber.

Seriously, Id just like to hear some replies.

Capt John
Boston, MA

Last edited by Bob Parsons; 03-30-2005 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: non sponsor link
Old 03-30-2005, 04:52 PM

And don't get Mendy going about the eel
Old 03-30-2005, 04:57 PM

I'm with you mendy. I personally can't stand the herring chunkers, they make a mess of the jetty in Plymouth, with herring guts every where, plus they never take their trash when their done, beer cans and bloody rags. Drives me crazy. Leave the herring alone, and learn how to fish.

Last edited by Punchshot; 03-30-2005 at 05:02 PM..
Old 03-30-2005, 05:48 PM

Mibbleboro

Okay guys, I'm not a herring chunker either -- only use artificials. However, a serious question deserves a serious answer.

I've been checking out the herring run a few times a week since the middle of March and I haven't seen a single herring yet. Yesterday (the same day the harp seal arrived in Middleboro) there was so much turbid water from the rains running through that it was impossibe to tell if there were fish there or not.

I really hope you are only interested in this herring run so that you can time the arrival of the bass, NOT because you want to grab some for bait.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:05 PM

The herring have been moving up Nemasket since about the Sunday before last. There were quite a few at Muttock (oliver mills) today. They are a bit hard to see with the high water. About five paces upstream of the big timber by the side of the run there is a big flat rock where the water swirls a back eddy, if you sit and watch, you will see them.

For what it's worth I don't use them for bait. Cool fish, we need more not less.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Ban Sluggo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendy
I know, Im guilty of both but.... I dont understand why folks continue to take herring from the runs, knowing full well that the local herring population is in steep decline, just for the purpose of sport fishing. I am able to take plenty of keeper sized fish using only flies and other artificial lures year in and year out. Granted the largest bass I have caught was a 35lber.

Seriously, Id just like to hear some replies.

Capt John
Boston, MA
ummm...because we can... ...i catch plenty of fish on jigs too, but i still like to throw the live stuff...

Last edited by Bob Parsons; 03-30-2005 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: link removed
Old 03-30-2005, 06:53 PM

How come everyone is so worried about herring populations at this time of year but could care less about the juvies that show up in late summer and fall? Those little guys make great bonito and albie bait incidentally.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albacized
How come everyone is so worried about herring populations at this time of year but could care less about the juvies that show up in late summer and fall? Those little guys make great bonito and albie bait incidentally.
Probably because as spawning fish, thier importance is all that much greater.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:09 AM

Purse seiners

Haven't posted in a while since I haven't had much to contribute-- Sorry.

Why doesn't anyone mention how many tons of adult herring are taken by the purse seiners every year? These boats sell them mainly for bait and fish meal. This is an even bigger problem then all of the recreational fishermen taking thier limit for livelining. I think there was a similar problem with the menhaden . But feel free to correct me if I'm wronge about the commercial fisheries completly devistaing the populations of these 2 baitfish

Just for the record I also don't fish live bait even though it is probably the best way to catch big fish.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

You guys never had herring caviar? You don't know what your missing out on.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:16 PM

I live a few miles from the oliver mills run in Middleboro. Stopped by yesterday to check it out. The run is in full swing by the looks of it. I enjoy seeing the herring run - so many fish concentrated in such a small area is really a sight, but mostly because it means the stripers are not far behind - however you plan to fish for them.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:54 PM

Fitzy is probably right- while I'm not keen on nabbing herring on their spawning run it appears that the greater threat is the reduction fisheries that have developed over the past 15 years - both oceanic and blueback/alewife fisheries are targeted by fisheries. I've been trying (unsuccessfully so far) to get actual tonnage figures on the yearly catches - but if you look at the end source (reduction plants in Nova Scotia) it's in the millions of pounds.

The herring are processed into fish meal and omega 3 oil (sold at enormous profit to health food concerns), and for lobster bait (this represents a smaller fraction). The fish meal is used largely for -- feeding penned salmon...

Does anyone know if/how/who regulates the pair trawlers? From what I've read it's pretty wide open - and more than just oceanic herring are being caught (juvy cod, stripers - and likely bluebacks/alewifes - though they run separately from the oceanic herring). I know I sounded off on this before , but I think it' s the most immediate problem with the fishery right now... The runs are watched - and , to a lesser or greater degree, policed. My impression is that the pelagic herring fishery is akin to a strip mining operation.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Birth-School-Fish-Death

Sure, it is true that the factory trawlers are largely to blame for the decline in the herring.

However, just because that is true it does not justify fishermen taking out thousands (or more) spawning herring every year soley for the purpose of catching striped bass, a fish that is commonly duped by artificial lures and flies. Is it that important to fish with herring for that 2-4 week span? I don't recall any record fish being taken on herring.

I don't fish with herring, although I suppose that I am a hypocrite (admitting the problem is the first step!) because I will occasionally throw eels in the surf come late summer nights and fall. Eels will be next on the list.