Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 04-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Sponsor

Old Exciting Sight Fishing Reports, humor, beach migration pictures, sharks on flats

Old Sight Fishing Reports pulled from past years archives, hope you enjoy them as much as I did writing them:

5/11 - Bass River Sand Flats:
Worked the afternoon incoming tide with the bright sun over head and saw about 350 Stripers and 12 Blues in about 3 hours. Schools of 5 to 50. All within easy casting range with a fly rod in 3-5 feet of crystal clear water and light colored sand. They would not eat the squid fly so I finally started to get them on a 5 inch sand lance pattern. (This is the same pattern that was featured several year's ago in "Fly Fishing in Salt waters" magazine along with another 5 top New England Guides "go to fly" Later this season I'll post an article-reciepe on this one fly (Sand Lance) that has caught myself and guest's more fish than I can count.

(See Photo's www.yankeeanlger.com - Fishing Reports) Reel Time Sponsor

Sand Lance or more commonly referred to as an eel. (They are actually a member of the lance family)

(See Photo's - Fishing Reports)

This 22 lb., 40 inch Bass ate it (S.L.) good in 3 feet of sight fishing water!

5/12
Outside Cape Cod Beach:
Walked to the outside and WOW, some interesting changes have taken place. It was fun to explore some brand new bars, points, bowls. As the tide turned and started to rise I saw approx. 1500 stripers in 2 hours within casting range. Schools of 50 to 200 swam in as little as 1 foot of water. Some keepers were in the mix. They ate the squid fly reeeeeel good! Bright sun, high noon, crystal clear water and nothing but the sound of the surf to keep me company.

5/14
Today I waded an outside Cape Cod Beach with the sun and counted no less than 2,000 bass migrating by me within casting distance in 1-4 feet of water. Today was not a day about simply catching, but also a day of learning. With all the new bowls, coves, bars and channels I was more interested in figuring out the exact route they were taking at all parts of the tide. It was interesting to discover how their migration route changed as the tide rose and fell. At exactly 2 hours before the low until 1 hour before the low I did not see a single fish.? (This is normally the fastest part of both tides Hhmmmm.) Then it was like someone opened the flood gates. I had to rush to release each fish as I could see another school moving towards me down the beach. At one point I missed a fish in one school, so I just jogged down the beach and got in front of the same school. Cast out and got one. Hint-hint.

Both days I enjoyed throwing the two hander. Its an Orvis 9 weight, 14 footer. Its nice not getting whacked in the head with a clouser any more!
--

(See Photo's - Fishing Reports

Sharks on the flats.

5/12 and 14

Notice the dark spot in the center of photo? That's a school of about 200 Bass. This is a normal occurrence during the month of May. This week they have all been mostly schoolies with a few Blues. As each day pass's you will notice a slow increase of size of Bass and more Blues. All are within casting range of a fly rod in 1-4 feet of crystal clear water! These fish are on fire and not easily spooked I love this type of fishing. Its visually exciting and also relaxing while you get absorbed into this incredible habitat. I never blind cast in these situations because if you don't see them, then they are simply not there. Some of these schools have been spotted over 100 yards away as they travel shallow, slow and can at times be in schools as big as your house or bigger! Even I can catch these fish! (he-he)

For the next 2, 3 weeks expect 500- 2000 stripers per day migrating along the outer Cape beaches with-in casting range. Expect there size to increase every few days until most will be in the 30 inch and above range mixed in with Blues. If sunny, sight fishing for them as they cruise along the beach in schools of 50-200 (Average) within 30 feet of the shoreline will be an optional treat. Expect blues to be mixed in. For the Blues I enjoy working a surface popper when sight fishing. (One year I was throwing a white gurgler with a 6 inch tail on it for Blues. It was fun to watch their heads come out of the water and see their teeth chomp down on the tail of the fly. But, it was not fun watching them swim away with out getting hooked? Then it hit me, go back to your beginnings young cricket. Remember when you were in "want-a-be" school and you learned that Stripers normally hit the head of their bait and Blues normally hit the tails. With a gurgler, the hook was at the head of the fly and that's why I was missing them. I excitedly switched to a popper. Problem solved, FISH ON!!)

I personally have found that most of these outer beach Bass migrating cruisers do not like surface poppers or gurglers. Instead keep your fly sub-surface with any type of line.

What I find to be the most visually exciting is to fish a big fly (Herring, Squid) on a floating line. Watching them break from the school to chase your perfectly cast (ahemmmm) fly to the surface with reckless abandonment, inhaling it with eagerness as if it was to be their last meal.

Mr. Squid after being almost eat'n as it had been chased by a pod of Stripers up onto the flat we were fishing.
--

Sunday morning caught myself surfing the Saltwater Web sites, sipping coffee, day dreaming of surf, blue bird skies, crystal clear water over light colored sand flats,

girls in bikinis - errrr, I mean, cruising blues and bass on the shallow flat's

--
5 fish - 2 o'clock! , throw it 12 O'clock, 50 feet ! O.K. , let it sit there, dont move it, stay low, here they come, get ready, Now strip it, strip it! faster, 2 fish just broke from the school, strip it - strip it, their nose is on it, there on it, keep stripping, their on it,

He ate it! Ye-haa!! What a honk'a!!! (John Halnon Photo)

Early Saltwater Striper Report:
Some keepers have been caught South of Cape Cod. Schoolies are arriving daily on the Cape. South side best. Tidal rivers, creeks, mud bottom preferred habitat. If you can find some warm water (55 degree's is best) then that's the spot to fish. Sinking line with a slow retrieve works best. Then throw on any old bright fly. If the slow retrieve dose not get them, then try a quick 1-1/2 foot strip. The migration has started earlier than most anyone can remember. These are new, fresh fish.
Randy Jones
- Fishing Reports

Thank you all for your words of encouragement, kind words and your continued support. Ill continue to do my best in sharing what I've learned through, experience, experimentation, borrowed ideas and taught techniques.

Stay tuned for more important lessons learned on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.

I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you for free will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing. If what I have posted helps just one person catch a fish, think twice before wading into an unfamiliar area, than all of my time and energies spent writing this piece will be well worth it. Randy