Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 PM

Westfield

Fished the C&R section above Knightville Dam, working my way up with buggers, a couple nymphs, and eventually and dry. Cool start with no fish or insect activity in the morning. Sun broke through around 1pm with a good mayfly hatch about an hour later. Still no visible activity. Mayflies had the water all to themselves. I studied one pool for a good 45 minutes and nadda. The hatch was great to witness, even if trout weren't rising to them (mayflies are so graceful). Not sure of the water temp., but my guess it is still a little cool for surface action. This was my first time fishing this location, so maybe I'm missing something? Any words of wisdom would be welcomed.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:15 PM

the Gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBfishin
Fished the C&R section above Knightville Dam, working my way up with buggers, a couple nymphs, and eventually and dry. Cool start with no fish or insect activity in the morning. Sun broke through around 1pm with a good mayfly hatch about an hour later. Still no visible activity. Mayflies had the water all to themselves. I studied one pool for a good 45 minutes and nadda. The hatch was great to witness, even if trout weren't rising to them (mayflies are so graceful). Not sure of the water temp., but my guess it is still a little cool for surface action. This was my first time fishing this location, so maybe I'm missing something? Any words of wisdom would be welcomed.
I have fished the Gorge a few times in the past, and it can be a great place. It is mostly a nymph river from what I could tell, and what the locals told me. I used alot of bead heads with a trailer of usually a size 16 or 18. THe local shop (B&G) has a fly called the teko bug that is a killer most of the time. ALso, if they still carry them, you must get some (my mind just went blank and can't think of the other fly). It was originally called the "Blair emerger". If you stop at the shop ask them about it, it has a white foam shell back, and it is even better than the Teko bug, also great for landlocks. Joe.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Its called a jailbird
Old 05-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Jailbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
Its called a jailbird
That's it! I be I have used it a few hundred times, and couldn't think of the name, (that's what 59 yrs. old does to you). I've seen Roger, Marla, and Ted Lewis just crock the trout with that fly. Like I said, I have caught many landlocks on that fly also.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks...

Next trip out there I'll stop in and grab a few Teeko's and Jailbirds. I think I will try the middle branch with my 4wt. Any advice there? I hear the fishing is quite different; mountain plunge pools...? Not necissarily looking for size, more interested in native brookies that are hungry and aggressive.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:32 PM

Brookies

Not sure about that area. I have fished mostly the Gorge (east branch, I think) and around the Teko golf course. I never caught any brookies there.
You might want to ask them in the store when they stock with their own fish. Along with the state, the B&G in the past has put in some monster trout. I have never caught one

Last edited by eng5; 05-04-2005 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: add on
Old 05-05-2005, 07:58 AM

Middle Branch is a good idea. Very light pressure Everyone goes to East Branch). Its worth the effort and I'll leave it at that.