Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 AM

Tarpon Fishing

Fishing Boca Grande, Fl
6/11/05

Crazy weather and squirrelly fish. Well, I'm happy thats over. I fished yesterday in a driving rain and high winds and saw a ton of tarpon on the beach. Today we are blessed with nice weather and the storm that hit the panhandle passed us by quickly. So, now it is tarpon time.

The fish should return to normal after today. The next two weeks will get better with fish covering all beaches. Fly fishers should take heart because our normal calm east winds prevailed throughout the stormy days and the water was fly-fishable all the time.

It seems to me there are a lot of tarpon in our area this year. I have had more opportunities than usual and a good number of takes on the new patterns. I think the fish will move slightly north this week because I saw several schools migrating north already. That means I can get away from the crowds and fish undisturbed schools.

Here's a good option for those of you that can not stand the heat of day here. Try fishing very early for snook (under the lights0 and then going to the beach for tarpon. That way you be in the pool with a cocktail by 1:00pm. Give Jill or me a call at 941-923-6095 or call me directly at 941-232-2960. I'll even take an e-mail at captpete@floridaflyfishing.com

If you enjoy the back country, fishing for redfish, snook and seatrout in and around the mangroves is still good. A lot of larger trout have taken up residence in the pot holes of our tidal grass flats. Lots of fun.

Good accommodations can be had at the Gove City Motel for about $75.00 a night for the two bed efficiency. Call Al or Gihla at 941-474-3436 or on-line at www.grovecitymotel.com

Fish Hard,
Pete
Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 PM

Have any tips or favorite flies for tarpon off the beach? I've never been successful fishing from the beach with a fly rod, but I'd like to hear some advice for taking snook and tarpon...