Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New York & New Jersey

Old 07-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Break Neck Speed

Well Brendan you have hit the lottery with that trip. Two thumbs up dude!!! I went ahead and purchased a permit just to be safe in case I get lucky enough to run into these fish and lucky enough to hook and land one. For $22.00 and print out the permit right on your own computer it is good insurance against a very ugly situation should you get caught without it. Nice job buddy hope I can get into them at some point soon.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by albacized
Although I know this isn't true, reading these regs makes it seem as though if you're ever lucky enough to score one of these from shore (happens once in a great while), then you do not need any permit.
Actually, targeting BFT from anything other than a permitted boat is illegal. No fishing from land, oil rigs, etc.

As someone who has actually gone through the process of registering a yak and getting a permit for it, I take this stuff pretty seriously. I've been targeting HMS from my yak legally for four seasons. If you are too lazy or cheap to go through the process and you target HMS then you are breaking the law. If you keep HMS caught in an non-permitted manner then you are poaching. If I can find out that someone is doing either I'm calling the Feds as is my duty.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Actually, getting a permit is a piece of cake. As TedS advised me, you can do it online at https://www.nmfspermits.com/default.asp. Put in the information including credit card (there is a $22 fee) and you can print a copy of the permit instantly. You need your boat registration number.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
As someone who has actually gone through the process of registering a yak and getting a permit for it
I have done the same, as I have mentioned in an earlier post I have the permit.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRiley
Actually, targeting BFT from anything other than a permitted boat is illegal. No fishing from land, oil rigs, etc.

As someone who has actually gone through the process of registering a yak and getting a permit for it, I take this stuff pretty seriously. I've been targeting HMS from my yak legally for four seasons. If you are too lazy or cheap to go through the process and you target HMS then you are breaking the law. If you keep HMS caught in an non-permitted manner then you are poaching. If I can find out that someone is doing either I'm calling the Feds as is my duty.
Well since I'm a shorebound angler and while fishing from shore, have had my fly in the vicinity of a bluefin just one time (in the cape cod canal and no, it didn't hit my fly), I'm not going to go through the trouble and don't think it's cheap to choose not to purchase a permit just in case I have rare experience of actually hooking a tuna from shore. I'll admit to the authorities right now...if I ever hook up from shore, you can right out my violation citation right then, because If I'm hooked up, I'm going to try and land it (as unlikely as that may be on a 9 wt ). The thrill would outweight the fine. But at the same time, I'd never target them because, obviously the opportunity from shore is close to being nil. However, if there was a reasonable fishery from shore, I'd gladly obtain a permit as I would target them.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Break Neck Speed

Well not wanting Mr. Riley on my case I went ahead and got my permit last night as I was planning to be out on the water today and thought if the weather is good I would make a run over and check things out. It takes all of 5 min. and a credit card to get the permit so there really is no reason not to get one if you think you will be in a situation where you may be targeting the Tuna. My story is very short today, Started out in Niantic looking for some shad as i wanted to try some live lining before I went flyfishing. Hooked three shad very early before it got light and lost all three. Spent the next 2.5 hrs. searching for them only to give up and go across. Got to Plum and the fog settled right in, I decided to make the run anyway as it was very calm and there were very few boats out. Got over to Montauk and it was socked in as well. Saw a few guide boats but the only thing happening was rat blues in the rips. I motored down the shoreline west about 15-20 miles without seeing anything. Stayed about 2-2.5 mi. off the beach thinking the Bluefin if they were there would be deeper. Saw a dragger and followed him for a bit hoping some fish might be cashing in.....NOT! Headed back to the point where the fog was still very thick, bobbed around the rips for a bit flyfishing deep but managed only a rat blue or two. Headed back across to Niantic and tried again to find some shad but to no avail. Disgusted I waved the white flag and racked the boat for the ride home. Typical should have been here yesterday.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Question

Great that you caught a SBFT on fly. What was your technique? We have caught them on fly within chum slicks.....once we locate the area where they are at. How did you get these to the fly? I would appreciate the info as we'll be out there and perhaps further to the east next weekend.

BTW, they are still there......we bumped into them yesterday (Sunday the 17th) while tweaking the boat....in the pea soup. 650/775 was the area they were at, but I am sure they are all over the place.....from Jennies Horn through the Butterfish Hole. They are quite small.....around 15 - 20 pound footballs. We took six and left. They would have been great fun on the fly but we were there just shaking the boat down and had no fly rod, nor chum on board.

FYI......I've heard of some larger fish towards the east and south of Block running from 30 - 50 pounds. Also not far offshore....but east of us.

Last edited by venture; 07-18-2005 at 03:43 PM..
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 PM

run and gun unfortunately has been the way as they are spread so far out that you cant count on them shwing up at the same place twice.
When you said you took 6, what does that mean? just wonderin? is that area you spoke of super far from the point (jennes horn) thanks
they were pretty sparse yesterday, and I always get freaked that they are all done!!
hope not
later

"if you are all an act, then what am I??"- a quote from Stephen Colbert to Bill O'Reilly
Old 07-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Addicted to Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctrout
When you said you took 6, what does that mean? just wonderin?
I was wondering that myself.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Clarification of "took 6" : had six fish on, six fish netted, and six fish released. They were all on the small side, even if some broke the legal 27" mark, they're too small to keep. Recreational Permits allow one fish per day, per boat, over 27" but I won't keep one unless it's at least 40# and up. Not worth the effort, and don't want to kill babies. Usually in the fall the run of BFTs average around 50#-70# with larger ones mixed in.

Jennie's horn is approx 20 miles or so off the point (SSE)....not too far. If you have a fishing chart, it's east of Butterfish Hole. There is Ryan's Horn, and Jennie's Horn. They are fingers that produce high mounts and canyons, which trap bait thus everything else. It's a famous shark area as well with many makos taken there.

The way we have fished these schoolies has been first - getting to a likely area to start, but looking all the way. 650/775 is a good and close start. To locate the fish we put out a 5 - 7 rod spread of jets, chains, clones, green machines, etc, and troll at 6.5 - 7.5 knot. Once located, we elect to get one on fly, we cut the engines, reel in the lures, through some chunks of butterfish, put some baited hooks in the water, draw the fish from the area around the boat, keep them there with throwing chunks, and then start casting the fly rod with a nice big deciever.

So you run and gun....looking for breaking fish, and then cast at them? That sounds quite hectic. Also, where exactly where you when you got into fish? If that's the way that you caught your fish my hat is off to you.....

Howie
Old 07-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Venture,
We catch them in CCB and Montauk in the fall the same way John and others are catching off montauk now, much closer than 20miles out. Its just like fishing schools of albies, but albies on steriods.......you run and throw flies at free feeding fish, no chum. It can be very frustrating at times but also the most rewarding type of fishing when you get it to all come together.
Good Luck,
Peter Mac
Old 07-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thanks Peter,

Perhaps if this weekend is good, I'll do the same. But I hate to chase them around with my boat......must be much better with a small center console. My boat would definately put them down.

I hate the chunks and the mess, but sometimes may be the best way to keep a nice bunch of fish around the boat while casting that big deciever. Anyway, if I get some this weekend I will post....because the fly rod will be on the boat.

Howie
Old 07-20-2005, 12:02 AM

Wow man- very generous report. I know you do allot of offshore, and am always jonesin to hear your input, thanks. will pm the rest

"if you are all an act, then what am I??"- a quote from Stephen Colbert to Bill O'Reilly
Old 07-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Branden.....you can email me the rest at howard@pacedesigns.com
Old 07-20-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venture
Once located, we elect to get one on fly, we cut the engines, reel in the lures, through some chunks of butterfish, put some baited hooks in the water, draw the fish from the area around the boat, keep them there with throwing chunks, and then start casting the fly rod with a nice big deciever.

Howie

Curious to know what constitues a "big deceiver" and if there are any prefered colors you use. We have also done this out of Fire Island trolling then chunking butterfish. We used both white mushmouths and 4" Green and white decievers. We have been able to bring fish to the boat on two occassions after cutting the engine from the troll and landed 1 on the fly. Also I'm unsure on how long to chunk before giving up and moving on if the fish don't show themselves.

I wonder if a bigger fly makes sense, after our last trip most of the fish on the troll were hitting purple/black vs. green/yellow. I have since tied some purple/black decievers but haven't had the chance to try them.