Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Sponsor

July 13 wade, fly, spin fishing S.E. Cape Cod Update

July 13 wade, fly, spin fishing S.E. Cape Cod Update:
Saw fish everywhere we went in 1 to 3 feet of water. Good numbers, a lot of approx. 15 lb. big ones, mostly singles, doubles, many many shots with only a couple small lull's. My guest landed a couple and lost one when the hook pulled. Fish very fussy and picky, try to be 100% on all aspects of your angling to achieve greatest success. (The variables are vast on being a 100% and would surprise the average angler). It is not as easy as it looks and challenges the sportsman. That's why we love these Bass. Perfection in all aspects of your fishing. We had a successful day.
-
Personal Observation - (Normally, but not always) the most productive part of sight fishing is when the tides speed is at it's optimum for each specific and unique flat you are fishing. An example of this would be that within walking distance you could have 15 unique flats that fish at their optimum at different times of the tide. Figuring this equation out keep's you on the fish during their most susceptible time. Today was a prime example of this. The fish were the most open to my guest's offerings when the water was moving the fastest over a number of different flats. Some flats have several optimal times while others have only one. Normally you will also see the most fish during this time.
((The above happens day in and day out for me. Your observations maybe different than mine.))
Thanks for stopping in, good luck, Randy
Old 07-14-2005, 11:26 AM

Tippet

Randy - Where do you weigh in on tippet size for these fussy fish. i assume fluro, Please relate it to diameter if you can, as lb test of line varies greatly.

Thanks for the help. You might give me one less thing to worry about when i am being refused.

Jay
Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Sponsor

Hi Jay,
Great question and one that used to worry me also. Im presently running (on the flats while wading - sight fishing - to "very" educated and big resident Bass) 16 lb. Floro. Tippets (leader for you spin guys) on the fly rod. Thats approx. .014 , .343 mm.
Best of luck,
Randy
Old 07-15-2005, 03:51 PM

Thanks

for the info Randy. Now i can worry about more important things like how to spend more time OTW.

jay