Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 07-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

7/16 - 90 miles of frustration

Saturday was to be a day of looking for Bluefin to cast to. Shaun and I hit the ramp at 5am to find that the dreaded east wind had yet to kick in. FAC and great visibility. This was going to be a good day for spotting fish. About 40 miles into our search pattern and we found ourselves in one monster of a fog bank. With maybe 50 yards of visibility, we decided to head in to P-Town and see if we couldn't find some Fluke until the fog cleared. We trolled up a small Blue for bait and began working the usual spots inside the harbor then headed outside as things were quiet. Change in plans.... we began drifting over large schools of Bass, the majority of which were in the 10-20# range. Spin gear goes away and fly rods come out. Shaun and I tried everything that we could think of but we couldn't get these fish to eat. For three hours of fishing we managed on near keeper and a couple of minis. Agony does not begin to describe it. Water was so clear we could see them laughing at us. Our friend Patrick met up with us by the time we were ready to throw in the towel. As the fog had lifted we continued our search for Tuna for not. Apparently the Bass bit picked up a little as the tide changed but the keepers were still illusive.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:12 AM

If it make you feel any better, we did about 100 miles last weekend and 70 this weekend with the same results!!!!!! NADDA!!!!! Thats why they call it "Tuna Wishin"
Old 07-18-2005, 08:42 AM

Make them eat!

In and around Dux-Kingston-Plymouth we faced the same thing you found at P-Town. Bass and blues all over and quite a bit of surface activity. You could see fish all over, swimming by the boat: they would chase the fly a little then roll over and turn on the TV. We had an occasional hit/fish, but generally they couldn't be bothered if we bounced flies or lures off their heads. If there was bait in the water it was microscopic or extremely scarce.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 AM

is that top right pic a bass finning?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Basking Shark. We found well over a dozen of them.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

For what its worth....flies they nosed, shads they nosed. Sluggos they nosed or even ran away from. I was even using a 12 ft straight 2 lb test leader for kicks so I know it wasn't me leadering fish. Tried everything from small sand eels 2" or less to big snake flies and herring flies 8-10" on both the bottom and the surface. Crease flies and gurglers. Just follows then the finger. These schools were in 4-10ft of water. Flies with heavy flash and no flash in just about every color.

But, a 3" floating crystal minnow tossed into the schools milling around on top and allowed to just sit. Occaisional jerk (foot or so) and float back to the top with enough forward motion to cause a visible wake (yes water was calm) but not enough to make the lure wobble or "swim" was the only think the larger bass would look at consistantly and the only thing that caught one of any size.

Last edited by ruge13; 07-18-2005 at 11:03 AM..
Old 07-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Non-Swimming Reel-Timer

I found pretty much the same thing Saturday up on the CCB flats - saw hundreds of fish, all sizes, and watched them follow my fly over and over again, then bail. So frustrating! This has been going on for weeks now...

I always manage to catch a few, but considering the sheer numbers of fish I'm seeing, the ratio is ridiculously lopsided. At one point on Saturday I had a seemingly endless pod of stripers in the mid-20"s pass right under the boat in ~3' of water. It was like those old WWII films of the fighter planes - just hundreds of them in formation, and they kept coming, wave after wave of them. I wish I could have photographed it.

Last edited by Chuckster; 07-18-2005 at 12:04 PM..
Old 07-18-2005, 11:01 AM

Had the same "striper follows but does not strike" experience late last week. Had a little better luck when I switched to an unweighted silverside fly with decent flash. I used 5-6 feet of leader to a sinking line. More natural swim without dumbell eyes in current seemed to help.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Faced the same situation in the West Passage of Nar. Bay Saturday morning. Nothing was workng. Went through the whole arsenal. Went to a small striper swiper popper. That did the trick. Caught a dozen. Mixed blues and smaller bass. I think they hit the popper more from being mad at it rather than hunger.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Sleepy Stripers!

I have been using the great SM & LMB lure Senko's in a dead stick fashion to catch stripers that have refused all else. Have been working a bait and switch routine with a rod rigged and ready to go with one. The black 7" and Watemellon colors are awesome. The olny thing is that they do not hold up for more then 1 fish.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Dawn on CC Bay

The success of the striper swiper suggests that a splasher rig on light tackle
may be worth trying, i.e. a float with a 3-4 foot leader attached to a fly or small plastic. Not my idea, just something others tried with some success last season when the fish were getting very picky.

This is also the time of year when unweighted sluggos on an offset sluggo hook and either dead-sticked or twitched on or near the surface seem to draw more strikes than the usual stuff.

Another swimming plug that seems to work well on schoolies throughout the summer is the HJ3 black and silver Rapala Husky Jerk, the 4 inch variety. I think they sell saltwater versions now with stronger hooks.

-bd
Old 07-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Spoiled by Tuna

Bill,
Did the Sluggo (they ran away)
Did the splasher (only follows)
Did everything in the boat
If I had a kitchen sink I would have used it too
Old 07-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Dawn on CC Bay

Cool

LOL. Well did you try this?

-bd
Old 07-18-2005, 01:32 PM
HoboFly Guy

Phew ... that's a tough report.
Good thing you guys just love being out on the water anyway.

Well, it's certainly not us that are depleting the fish supply is it?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:43 PM

That fog was crazy!!!

We were fishing p-town early on Saturday and had to be back to Sesuit harbor for 10:00am. We went back through about 14 miles of a thick fog at a frustrating 12 knots (no radar). We did get into some early bluefish action mixed in with some decent bass. My buddy got a nice 33" bass on a knuckle-head surface plug. The thing just blew up on it, what a sight. Then it slowed down and got frustrating real quick. Lots and Lots of followers, but they just became real picky. There was a ton of bait in the water too, sand eels everywhere. We'll be fishing the race this Thursday and Friday. Hopefully they'll stay cooperative this time . If not, there will be a lot more of this .