Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

July 16-17 off Montauk

Pea soup Satureday......but good fishing. Fluking the south side on Saturday while checking the boat out. Did great in 35 feet of water with some monster fluke.... You needed radar.

Pea Soup Sunday......heard of some School BFTs pretty close off the point. Went out just to check. Left the dock very late at 10:30am, got to the grounds at 11:15am, hooked my first tuna at 11:30, and they just kept coming for the next hour. Pretty small fish.....going about 15 - 25 pounds.
The SBFTs are within 12 miles of the beach.....and quite thick. Start at 650 on the top, and 775 on the bottom.......just short of butterfish hole....real close. You needed radar to get out, but once out there, it cleared. Most of the fog on Sunday was within 3 miles of the beach and on to shore.

If the weather clears, you guys in 23 foot boats can get a shot at some fish within 12 miles of the point.....next weekend.

Last edited by venture; 07-18-2005 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-19-2005, 11:57 AM

Venture, i actually was out saturday midday looking for the BFT's in my boat. We plowed thru the fog and ran SE at about 160 degrees probably around 8-miles or so off the point. The fog was just as thick out there, if not worse. Trolled in zig zag patterns for a few hours with not a hint of any Tuna around.........

Didnt even bother taking the boat out sunday, which by the sound of your action......was a mistake.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Retac,

You're doing something wrong. Even though I stayed inshore on Saturday, my friend at the dock boated at least 14 fish. It was because of him that I was in that area on Sunday. I only got six, but I only fished for about an hour and a half, and got very late. My friend also told me that the fog was thick out there on Saturday, but on Sunday it cleared once you were around 8 miles off.

Listen, go out to 650/775, set out a spread of small or regular unwieghted green machines, clones, small jets, bars, or anything else you have confidence with and continue trolling south. Forget zig - zag...... Keep it straight south unless you see fish, birds or nervous water.....otherwise just go straight at 6.5 - 7.0 knots, or what ever speed you need in the prevailing conditions that make your spread "smoke".....no jumping.....just smoking.

On the first knockdown, hit the save button, land your fish, and stay within that area unless there are no fish.....and always keep your eyes peeled.

Quite frankly, you should have caught them. Perhaps you were not far out enought. Remember, going due south from the point puts you on the numbers. But most inexperienced guys get spooked when they hit Cartwrights, which is around 4 miles off. The water gets a bit messy there, and many inexperienced guys turn back thinking it's gonna get worse. It gets much better in fact, and flattens out within a mile or so. Once out in Butterfish hole area.....which is where those numbers are, you should have fish all over you if you are fishing your spread correctly.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 PM

I definitely appreciate the detailed low-down. Will be getting back out this fri and sat for sure. We put our spread out starting about 4.5 miles off the point and went as far as probably 8-9 miles offshore. Just wasnt our day to find any of those little monsters i guess. Win some you loose some. Thanks for your info.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Next time, go out 9 - 10 miles and then put them out.....and continue south. Hopefully you have GPS......so start at 650/775 and continue south. They should still be there.....
Old 07-20-2005, 09:40 PM

Yes of course i have GPS. Will be heading to those numbers friday morning to hunt for those little B_stards. You going out again this weekend?