Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 08-01-2005, 09:26 AM

Merrimack River - Anchoring in the channel

On Saturday, seemed like there were a ridiculously high number of bait fisherman anchored right in the channel.

In the new no wake (between #11 and #8) it was not such a big deal since you are going so slow, but between #8 and #7 it was horrible. Then in the mouth, there were guys anchored all over the place!

Harbormasters (both Salisbury and Newburyport) did NOTHING. They were more focused on the usual......enforcing the new "no wake".....checking out boats with hi-power binocs (not sure what they are looking for).

At one point, I was drifting the outgoing current just east of Badger Rocks toward #7. Nothing much happening, got a couple of schoolies. I motored back up for another drift and I came to about 150ft behind an anchored boat. The guy yells at me "You are going to run over my line!" To which I responded "I am no where near your line!" He then says "I am using chunks with no weight!"

I just motored away.....thinking.....does this guy think he owns the whole river? Guess I need to stick to week nights.....or head offshore.

I gave up - headed out of PI. Trolled CD18s looking for blues. Marked some sort of fish, but couldn't get a thing to bite. Tried 80'.......60'.....then in around the 30' depth. NOTHING. Saw three party boats drifting - lots of lines in the water and I didn't see a single fish get boated. Was my worst outing this year. Anyone else get into blues off PI?

got fish?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 AM

Similar event in Duxbury on Friday morning. A guy anchored up in Saquish rip. We drift by and hook his line while casting. He's liveling pogies with about a 100' of line out. I yell over...you livelining? He yells back, yeah...big ocean. Well it's not a very big rip and that's why most guys don't anchor up in it and liveline...or at least not with 100' of line out.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:33 AM

Blues seem to be either north or south of MM have seen alot near the rockpile and north up near hampton