Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-08-2005, 08:06 AM

Bill's Body Braid

Anybody know where I can get this, or alternatives? I just read Striper's and Streamers and Ray's recipes all seem to have Bill's Body Braid in them. My local shop doesn't carry it.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 AM

Salt Water Edge in Newport - or check them out online - http://www.saltwateredge.com/
Old 08-08-2005, 08:32 AM

Here is a link to a picture of 10yd cards and 30yd spools http://www.saltwateredge.com/miva/me...gory_Code=FT2A . Several shops sell it under a different name. Before Bill Peabody popularized using this material you could get it at Hunter's in New Boston for real short money. They had giant spools of the stuff and you just pulled off as many yards as you wanted.

Tie up a couple Yellow Rebels as depicted in the book. Not as popular as the Ray's Fly but every bit as effective on big fish.

Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:11 AM

The same material, including silver and the pearl flash color, is available for considerably less money at A.C. Moore craft and art supply stores at your local mall. Earlier this year, the Moore store in Framingham, MA, was loaded with the stuff.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. Always looking for cheap alternatives, so the AC Moore idea is appreciated. Does it go under a different name at AC Moore? I have never seen the stuff in person, only in books, so I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:04 AM
BuzFly-Got Foil?

If you are in the Craft Store looking for it check the way the braid is made. If you pull on the end some will come off like the mylar tubing leaving long strands and some will pull off in on strand side to side.
Got Foil or Gooey Body?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman
Thanks for the quick responses. Always looking for cheap alternatives, so the AC Moore idea is appreciated. Does it go under a different name at AC Moore? I have never seen the stuff in person, only in books, so I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for.
Not only is it cheaper there in AC Moore, you get a lot more per package. I have both the named stuff from fly tying shops such as Body Braid, Gudebrod, Orvis and something with no name from the now defunct American Angers in Salem, NH, I also have something from AC Moore called decorative trims from a company called Mangelsen's. I only have the latter in silver but have seen it in pearl and gold. It comes in a 5 1/2 yard spool and cost $1.19. The Gudebrod brand I mentioned is also very reasonably priced at $2.50 for a 10 yard spool (per Natick Outdoor) and for all I can tell, it's the same exact stuff as Bills Body Braid. So the AC Moore thing is actually the second best bargain of the ones I know of.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Some of the braids available at craft stores are too thick to be compared to Bills Bodi Braid, I've found. I stick to that brand and purchase it in large spools available at fly shops like Hunters angling, etc.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:53 AM

you can also just wrap flash around the shank and secure it with super-glue or whatever adhesive (epoxy if there is no other dressing over the 'braid'.)
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 AM

The craft store stuff is good. I like the kind that lays flat like dental floss. Good for small stuff and bonefish flies. The thick stuff is too bulky for me.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentience
you can also just wrap flash around the shank and secure it with super-glue or whatever adhesive (epoxy if there is no other dressing over the 'braid'.)
Sentience: I don't find that flash wrapped on the shank is durable. I do coat it before tying on other materials with Hard as Nails but still feel it's not too durable. When it gets chewed and frayed, it's useless. Don't you agree?