Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-28-2005, 07:04 AM

Millers River Report

Fished the middle section of the upper catch and release area. What a beautiful piece of water, very remote, eagles flying above, and the river all to myself. I can imagine why though, it took me a good 25 minutes to walk in from the bearsden rd. parking area in Athol. Walking in wasn't bad, but walking back in waders uphill, well that's a different story. Anyway, I was hoping to get into some good trout action. I started out fishing a sz.16 caddis nymph, and after about 4 chub (I think) I was annoyed and changed to a size 8 olive/orange cone head flash-a-bugger. First cast and BAM...nice smallmouth. Second cast BAM, yikes I forgot how these smallmouth fight. Caught 4 smallmouth, lost 2, 0 trout. I was hoping to get into some trout, but those smallmouth are a lot of fun. The last time I fished the Millers it was the same thing, o trout, and about 10 smallmouth. Although the last time I fished the Millers the smallmouth were a lot smaller. Are you guys sure there are trout in this river??? I know, I know, they're there somewhere...I guess smallmouth just have a certain affinity for my 5wt.

Last edited by fish-bum; 08-29-2005 at 06:03 AM..
Old 08-28-2005, 09:07 AM

For all I read about the trout fishing there, all I get are small mouth as well (not that this in a complaint...they're fun as well).
Old 08-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Dr. Fish

Trout in August are just tough

Not that I would complain about catching smallies, but I always find catching trout in August around here fairly tough. Althought rivers like the Millers, Squanacook, and Quinne supposedly have holdovers I think the hot weather and low water drive the trout into deep holes and they get pretty picky. As an example I had a great day on the Millers in June, and then returned 2 weeks later after the early heat wave and could only muster 1 trout despite using the same techniques, spots, etc. If you must have your trout fix I have had my best luck on the Farmington and recently the Wood river in RI. I was down there on Thursday evening and had 5 trout on in just 3 hours of fishing. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:21 PM

I had the exact same experience there (middle C&R from Bearsden) last Saturday. The trout are hibernating in there - but the chubs and smallies are up like crazy. I love the miller's, but it's just not an August trout water... Also, I concur that that hike back up to Bearsden can be killer - I recommend ditching the waders and felt-soles for just some lightweight cotton pants and tough-tread hiking boots. You can spend a ton of time just navigating the banks looking for water.

Also, it would seem that the Bearsden beaver has had enough of fishermen for the summer - give him a little more room than usual.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 PM

BenMed and MNJoe have it right. Spring is a good time for trout. As it warms up they are harder to find and the bass move into the areas that held trout earlier in the season.

I like to try for the trout this time of year after the rain when it gets a little cooler.

In this part of the state I think of the Deerfield, Swift or Westfield for August trout.

jed
Old 08-31-2005, 04:05 PM

Love the Millers, had awesome success this spring/early summer. Wait till we get some cooler weather this fall. I fished it right up to December last year and had a ball. Fished the upper part of the lower catch and release mostly. I have caught Browns, Bows, Brookies and smallies in this river. I know there are a ton of trout there right now but they are near the feeders and in deep holes. I would say mid Sept is the time to start looking again.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Father of three

My two cents...I have fished that section twice...once early in the summer, did very well for trout and salmon parr (weird that no one else has mentioned catching them there) and also caught chub. Went back later in the summer and got only chub.

I recall parking right at the river, next to someone's cabin, in an official parking area. Is that now closed, forcing you to walk up the hill?

Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 AM

ND, I'm wondering if you accessed Bearsden rd. off of Gulf rd. on the north side of the river? Looking at it on google maps (awesome scouting tool), it shows it as a much shorted road into where the river is. If you can park at the river, than that's a much better way in. I'll have to try that on my next trip out there. I thought that I could park closer to the river on the south side , boy was I wrong.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:28 AM

Bearsden Parking:
I remember the first time I went there a few years ago, I was a little confused about the trails. There's one that goes right past the red house and immediately down to the river, and one that goes up the hill directly in front of the parking area... to who knows where.

Don't take the second one.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:19 PM
<-- Bonefish, S. Andros

All this talk of smallmouth is getting me interested in hitting Miller's tomorrow. Anybody else think they might head over there tomorrow?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Father of three

Frequent-flyer,
That is exactly what I did. The access there is superb, and the river is so lovely through that stretch. One note of caution...back then, it was nearly impossible to get in from the west, as Gulf Rd was very washed out and rutted. The longer trip coming from the east (Royalston) side was completely driveable by any vehicle. Things might have changed, but I would not assume you can enter from the west.
ND
Old 09-01-2005, 03:06 PM

Gulf road west of bearsden is completely closed now...
Old 09-01-2005, 06:29 PM
<-- Bonefish, S. Andros

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJoe
Gulf road west of bearsden is completely closed now...
So can I get in Gulf Road and then down Bearsden in a 4x4 and park close to the river there? I've got a bad back and 2 arthritic hips so I need to get as close to the river as possible. Any advice is appreciated!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Father of three

Teflon,
"Close to the road" is putting it mildly. Come in Gulf Road from the South Royalston side, take a left on the only reasonable road there is (note that there are telephone poles taking power down it), and come to a marked parking area next to a cabin. You will be within a few yards of the river, and there is an excellent trail running up and downstream. See if this link works:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18...83&layer=DRG25

NatickDave
Old 09-01-2005, 09:16 PM
<-- Bonefish, S. Andros

Thanks NatickDave. That's where I was figuring on trying to park. You should see a fishing report from me either tomorrow or Saturday!