Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-01-2005, 07:08 AM

Reels and pount test

Hello again,

Since I have been saltwater fishing this year, I have been using 200yds of 20# test. I have not run into any problems yet, since I have the drag set pretty loose.

I have since started looking for a new reel and I have seen some which can hold 300yards of 30# test. Is that too much? Is 20# test better?

Additionally since I am looking for a new surf rod/reel combo, what are the specs I should be looking for? Any recommendations?

Last edited by mayday1019; 09-01-2005 at 07:11 AM..
Old 09-01-2005, 07:11 AM
I'm smarter than stripers

I always liked 20lb test, you'll find that as you increase test you lose distance and it won't cast as well.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:28 AM

Test

I would go with that (#20).
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I tried #30 at one point and went right backto #20
Old 09-01-2005, 12:34 PM
fish at all costs

good all purpose real: Shimano 4500B bait runner. good for casting and live bait. I use two w/ 50 pound power pro. I keep the drag set as if it was 25 pound test, and use the powerpro more to combat abrasion when the line get pulled into rocks, etc. you could also use a lighter power pro, or try yozuri's hybrid lines, they are a mix of flouro and mono (i think) and you can get 25 pound test that has the diameter of about 17 lb test. I have used both, but ultimately switched over to power pro. I like the zero stretch, much better hooksets.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Reel-Timer

Surf rod set-up depends on what you are going to be doing with it. If you are throwing plastics and plugs with it then a rod capable of throwing 3/4 - 3oz. If you are going to be using bait then a rod capable of 2-6oz or larger may be preferred. If CC Canal fishing it seems as if a 10' stout surf rod is preferred. I am no expert on the topic, but there are some people that are that are pretty knowledgable on this site. Spinning vs. conventional is another consideration. Probably easier to start with spinning gear vs conventional - backlashes can be a PIA and take you out of the fishing at exactly the wrong time.

I'd recommend that you look at the Diawa Sealine-X, Tsunami Trophy or Tica rods as inexpensive rods to start out with that all have their fans. 9' is pretty standard size. Lamiglas makes some more expensive rods that are very well regarded (Arra series). Reels - Penn 704, 5500, 6500, Slammer 560's, Diawa Emblem, Okuma and Tica reels are some to check out. 15-20lb mono or 40, 50 or 65 braid (PowerPro, Fireline, Tuff Line XP, etc.).

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Reel and line

One thing is, you didn't mention which rod you wanted to use.

Lots of people really like the Shimano Sphaeros (spelling?) reels.
A 5000 for 20#, a 6000 (or larger) for 25-30#. The durability and
quality of one of these seems to be out of proportion to its price
(around $100). I am going to get a 4000 and a 6000 one of these days.

The 20# line is fine for bay fishing, but if you are going to oceanic
(like surf casting on the outer Cape?) you should have 25# or 30#.

As an alternative, go with braided line in 50-60# (small diameter), but
remember to use the correct tippet so you do not break your rod. Also, I have been plagued in my early days with braid--I put on about 1/3 to 1/2
reel capacity of mono backing, then uni-knotted on the braid and filled the
spool. It did not take long for the knot to work its way up to the surface
and cause snarls, tangles, and interference with casting. A shop set the
reels up for me. Now I just put on a small amount of backing, then fill
the reel with braid. Kind of $$. I guess an alternative would be to use the
braid as backing, then put a topshot (50-75 yd or more) of mono over that. I have tried that with some success, though I don't get the long casts this way.

Duncan Talbot
Old 09-01-2005, 01:17 PM

Split a 300# spool...

For Striper fishing, I generally fill my Shimano bait runners with 25# mono (or dacron) and top off with either 100 or 150 yards of 50# power pro or Spiderwire stealth. So one 300# spool tops off three reels

This is generally way more than enought for stripers and gives you better casting ability as well as the power to really horse them around the boat. Braid also trolls great and deep.

For a light spinning set up, I like 20# braid as it casts great and again give s you power at the end game.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:11 PM

When using plugs for stripers from boat or surf I swear by the Shimano Spheros 8000 spooled with 30lb Pwer Pro (and obviously some mono backing). I tie it to a barrel swivel and have about 3 feet of Seaguar/Vanish flurocarbon for my leader to a Breakaway clip. I have fooled around with other combos, but this has been the most consistent for me. There are pros and cons to both mono and braid. I am a strictly braid now. I find you feel a lot more with braid than I ever did with mono, and have less knot failure. (blues have a tough time getting through it as well). Try a few different things and go with what makes you feel comfortable.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 PM

Reel-Line size

Things are different down here.

I use 15 pound PowerPro on my small Spin rods Quantum PT40's on a 10-17 fast spin rod for Yellowtail, Spanish Macks, Bonito (Albies), Cudas.

I use 30 pound Powerpro on my larger spin gear Quantum PT60's on a 12-25 fast spin rod. I have used this for Grouper up to 35 pounds, Cobia to 50 pounds, King Mackerel to 50 Pounds, small sharks to 50 pounds or so, Tarpon to 100 pounds, Blackfin to 30 pounds, Permit etc... Some are in the rocks some are surface and I never have problems. If you got my video you see the 20+ pound Blackfin caught on a Quantum PT60 with 30 Power Pro.

After moving down here 8 years ago I realized I used way too heavy equipment up North. I now use 20 set ups for 70 pound Sailfish and 100-150 pound Marlin. I am using heavier gear than alot of other guys. Some are down to 8 or 12 pound gear and these fish all fight. I find that the heavier equipment makes the fish fight harder and run into rocks and break off early in the fight. I use Accurate 665 with 500 yds Power Pro 50 and 100 yds of 40 mono for Swordfishing. Our Swordies run aroun 60-100 pounds.

I can compare and say that Stripers even big ones don't fight hard. I grew up in RI and caught 1000's of stripers and they don't fight at all compared to Grouper, Cobia, Snapper, of equal size or even smaller. Most fish down here fight more like a Bluefish.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Ban Sluggo's

i have 3 spinning rods i use as "canal sticks", a 10-ft lamiglas xs101ms with a mitchell nautil 7500 gv (black), a 10-ft lamiglass tri-flex (the graphite comp model) with a yellow mitchell nautil and my new setup is a 10-ft tica with a daiwa powersurf 5500 qd (japanese daiwa reel)... these sticks are all designed to winch an unwilling 40lber out of a screaming 5 knot full moon rip tide... i have 200 yards of 30lb stealth with 20lb mono backing on the nautils and 250 yards of 50 lb stealth with 100 yards of 20 lb mono backing on the daiwa...

my lighter albie/bonito/schoolie rod is an 8-ft tica with a daiwa regal 4000xi with 150 yards of 20lb fireline over 16lb mono on one spool and 250 yards of straight 12lb mono on another spool...i've landed 30+ inch fish with this rod and the mono spool...