Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-14-2000, 05:43 PM

fishing trip to Rhode Island

Hi to all the fisherman out there. I am making a trip to Rhode Island towards the middle or the end of the month of August. I am in need of some help on fishing charters. I see the airport is in Warwick R.I. Is there a charter service there? I am tring to keep from having a large cab fare. I like to fish for Stripped Bass but would like to fish for some of the yellow fin tuna also. I will be staying for about 4 days so if anyone can help me on this it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good fishing. By the way I live in SC so I know nothing of R.I.
Keith
Old 05-14-2000, 08:51 PM

RE: fishing trip to Rhode Island

Many of the charter/party boats operate out of the Pt. Judith (Natrragansett RI) area, which is about 30 miles south of the airport. I think a rental car would be better, especially if the charter starts at some ungodly hour of the morning.

I happen to have a brochure from a party boat company that does 1-2 day tuna trips, night bass trips, etc. ... I would be glad to send them to you if you send me a private E-mail with an address.

The potential problem with tuna is that you usually have to charter or reserve well in advance (with a $deposit), and who knows what the weather will be like that day. To charter an individual boat that carries 4-6 passengers, you are probably talking at least $600 for the day, which is impractical for an individual (at least for me). Tuna fishing was very good in the area last year, so I would anticipate things filling up fast this year. I don't have any specific recommendations for boats/captains, but I'll be glad to do this:

1) Send a tourist map of RI
2) Send the brochure I have from the party boat co.
3) Photocopy the local yellow pages with charter fishing info.

John
(jbreez116b@netscape.com)
Old 05-14-2000, 11:19 PM

Pt. Judith is not all that far from T.F. Green.... Jumping on a party boat is easy... chartering a Tuna trip may take some quick planning... First if you want to jump on a party boat look into "The Francis Fleet" 2-3 large boats that run out of Pt. Judith I will try to get the link for you. Also I know a great tuna captain, Capt. Slater, there are two boats (brothers) and hence 2 Capt. Slaters, one is a hack, Dicky Slater, One has some scrap books aboard his boat that look like something out of SaltWater Sportsman, the man has caught some serious BIG tuna when tuna in RI were BIG!! I will e-mail you his # and the name of the Boat when my brain solidifies.
Old 05-15-2000, 12:50 AM

http://www.rifishing.com/index.htm

Skip the yellow pages - the above URL will get you to most of the charters in RI. One captain who has a good reputation (I heard him speak at a seminar) is Mitch Chagnon, of the Sakarak ... I had gone out on a charter with his brother, Jack who apparently isn't running the Sundancer any longer.