Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

View Poll Results: Should limits on species such as bluefish be reduced
Yes 61 65.59%
NO 23 24.73%
Not Sure 9 9.68%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2006, 09:19 AM

Keeping your limit.

I have more than once pulled into where I was going to fish, to find guys cleaning a pile of fish(usually blues). Often one of them will either say why the **** did we keep all these fish, or be begging guys to take some. My question is since these guys obviously kept more than than they needed or could use, should the limits on species such as bluefish be reduced?

Thanks

John
Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 AM

Couldn't agree more!!!

In my experiences...blue fish (big ones) are down and have been for a few years.

It bothers me when I see stacks of the oily fish laying in the sand. It would be one thing if you knew they were being eaten...

Some are eaten I'm sure...But I'll bet most get thrown away!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:52 AM

I agree, for the most part. However, I've seen more big blues so far in this very young season (the last week) than I have all of last year. I mean HUGE, SCARY blues. But they are soooo much fun to catch, so yes, maybe some limit should be put in place. I'm not big on eating them, maybe keep a few a year for the smoker or grill. It's more so for the charter guys I think...I was on one out of Nantucket many years ago and we caught about 50 of them...and kept every one. I was begging the capt. to target some stripers, but he didn't really care, as long as we were tight on fish the whole time.

They also serve as a great form of bait, if you know what I mean...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Count me as not sure for now. Some people only get out a few times a season, if that, and want/need to make the most of it. Ten Blues isn't unreasonable if you are smoking them. My extended family loves Blue and I am usually inundated with requests for them. One October a few years back I brought home six Blues in the 8-12# range. All the meat was eaten within two days.

I think the problem is that some people just don't know when to stop. That or they get into a macho creel mindset. I'm glad they dropped the Scup limits though. What someone would do with 50 of them is beyond me. For those who do not know the regs, here they are:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recre.../rec_index.htm
Old 06-07-2006, 10:01 AM
fish worshiper

I keep 2-3 a year for the smoker there should be limits
Old 06-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator

I grill a few, smoke a couple, and use them for lobster bait.

Regardless of limit, people should only take what they can use.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Thunoholic

Thumbs up

Reducing the harvest of gamefish and bait is a sure way to improve the quality of our fishery. Blues happen to fit both categories.

I will never forget catching my first "small" Blue (about 10lbs) in the late 80s and saying to my dad that I didnít know they were that small up here. Before that fish, I had caught hundreds of Blues, all 16lbs and over. Of course these were the days when our inshore waters were infested with 2+ pound Pogies & gator blues. Now a 10lb Blue is considered on the big side. It would be great to see those 22+ pound fish again. Big Blues rock! And the fish they attract rock even more!

Last edited by OceanRunner; 06-07-2006 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Parsons
I grill a few, smoke a couple, and use them for lobster bait.

Regardless of limit, people should only take what they can use.

This is the key, and I think education would go a long way in making more 'sportsman' a little more conservation minded.

Love keeping blues for the smoker, but never keep 10. I'm sure a tremendous amount of blues and bass that are kept never get eaten.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I didn't answer you poll cause I don't know what species your talking about except for Bluefish.

As for the Blues, coastwise stocks are high. What reason would justify reducing the limit at this time ?.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 06-07-2006, 03:38 PM
meat slinger

i kept 20 the other day, and sold them. each and every one of the will go to a person who is happy to eat a fresh caught bluefish fillet.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:44 PM
LarryM

If you're not going to eat it, you've got no call to kill it ...... seen this same scenario too many times - blues just left on the beach, or stuck in a trash can ! Nothing better than today's bluefish - and I sure would like to try some of those smoked blues ...........
Anyone remember that spread years ago in Saltwater Sportman of giant BFT's snacking on big blues ? The blues looked like minnows !
Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onshore
I didn't answer you poll cause I don't know what species your talking about except for Bluefish.

As for the Blues, coastwise stocks are high. What reason would justify reducing the limit at this time ?.
Basically any species where the limit is more than 2 people could eat in a week unless thay ate fish 3 meals a day. I used Blues just because I thought it was the most obvious.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I come to play baby!

high abundance everywhere. stripers are at historic levels, tuna everywhere, plenty of herring, tons of pogies, you can walk on flounder, swordfish are around in record levels, marlin are in ipswitch bay, bluefish have become anadromous there are so many of them they cannot fit in the ocean, baitfish are everywhere, atlantic salmon are jumping at the kernwood bridge as we speak, sturgeon are everywhere. As JJ repeatedly pounds his head into his desk.

WAKEUP!! Do people honestly believe in the indoctrinating pablum's called 'fishery reports'?!....or am I just a massive pindejo?

Last edited by Soundking; 06-07-2006 at 03:59 PM..
Old 06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Thunoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundking
...WAKEUP!! Do people honestly believe in the indoctrinating pablum's called 'fishery reports'?!....or am I just a massive pindejo?
Saddly, I think the answer is bothÖ
Old 06-07-2006, 05:24 PM

one possible idea...

First off, not to hijack the thread, I would support limits. While I love to eat blues and generally have no trouble giving extra away, the guys I fish with donít like it and we generally only keep 3-4. But if there is an issue with population, Iíd be more than willing to give up a few fish a year.

But in the mean time...This brings up an idea that Iíve been kicking around, and it might be a good way to let people catch all they want (until regs set in) but not have it go to waste.

What Iíd propose is that one weekend a month there would be sort of collection at local marinas where fisherman can donate thier catch to local food pantries/shelters etc. I'd start small, maybe two or three in the area, posting flyers the previous week and talking it up to notify people that youíd be collecting fish (near me that would be Riverview, Bunkys and the DYC) .

Then on Sat and Sunday leave a couple of big coolers on the dock, clearly marked for charity for folks to fill with excess fish (Iíve been even trying to think of a way to issue some sort of receipt so that those who donate can get credit, just like when you donate old clothes. But thatís the next step.) That afternoon, a crew would come by and collect the extras to be cleaned filleted and frozen.

Iím not 100% sure of the logistics to it but basically youíd need
-Coolers for the marina
-a truck for pickup,
- a garage or place to fillet
- a freezer (a vacuum sealer wouldnít hurt)
- And, depending on the states rules and regs, it might not hurt to have a commercial license, although if your donating the fish, Im not sure if you'd need it.

I would think that a crew of 4-5 guys could provide quite a bit of fish to local food banks, pantryís and soup kitchens. I know they do this is other parts of the country with deer and have heard its done at big shark tournaments.

If it worked, the same process could be repeated by groups at various marinas, and it would also work great for tournaments (where there may be a ton or extra fish) and even the big head boats or charters where some guy his son on vacation and land 10 fish but have no kitchen, fridge or cooler in their hotel room.

Iíve made a few inquiries into some food banks that Iíve worked with tin the past to gauge interest, but Iíd like to try to make this work at least once this summer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.