Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-04-2006, 09:32 AM

Stars and Stripers (and fireworks!)-- Western LIS Shore Report 7/3/06

Headed out with 5 other fishing fools to fish the late shift on the west end of the Sound. Started out at a spot in Milford about 6pm, fished the outgoing till dusk with nothing to show for it but a small fluke and a sea robin, both caught by my buddy Joe.

Decided to move, since we had to move our vehicles at that point anyway, and headed over to another beach in Stratford. Fished the rest of the outgoing there till midnight. There were a few fish breaking here and there, and almost all of us had a least a hit or two. I tried a half dozen different flies, a big olive/white deceiver, a sand eel imitation, a small pink epoxy fly, a chartreuse clouser, a slider, and finally a black snake fly. I had gotten a good solid hit on the big deceiver, and a couple of other hits on other flies. But about 10 or so, on my first cast with the black snake fly I got another. About 4 casts later I hooked up, and got a decent 20 inch bass!

I kept that fly on, and we kept moving out and down following the tide out. About 11 or so I got another fish, also a 20 inch bass.

In between my two fish another buddy, Bob, got his first ever flyrod striper on a chartreuse/gold clouser fished on my 10 foot 7 weight steelhead rod! We were all psyched about this, because Bob is a younger guy, in his early to mid 20's, who just started fishing last year, under the tutelage of our friend Craig. Bob didn't have a flyrod, and was gonna spin fish, but jumped at the offer to use my 7 wt, so it was great to see him get that fish! It was a decent schoolie, about 17 inches. And I was also psyched that he got it on my 7 wt. I got that rod primarily for steelheading, but wanted to use it for light saltwater too, but it's slow and sloppy, and doesn't cast distances well, especially not with a sinking line or heavy, bulky flies. So I had abandonded using it for salt, but after seeing a rookie get a fish on it, I may have to give it another go!

About 11:20, after I released my second fish, Joe hooked up, and got another bass about 16 inches.

So while it was slow, it wasn't a total shut out.

One of the coolest parts about fishing at this spot was that we could see numerous fireworks displays, all up and down the CT coast, off in the distance! There were about a dozen or more different displays all around us! It was really cool!

About midnight we headed over to a diner to get some food and kill some time waiting for the tide to turn and rise a bit, since we couldn't think of anywhere nearby that might fish good on the dead low. After we ate we headed back out about 1am to West Haven. Fished till maybe 2 or so, but the water was still really, really low, wasn't moving at all, and there was some distant lightning that was moving our way and increasing in frequency, so we headed back to the lot.

After enjoying a frosty beverage or two and sharing a few laughs, a couple of the guys decided to head to the Farmington to fish sunrise. I had originally told my wife I'd be back around midnight, and had called her from the diner to tell her I'd be out till daybreak. I didn't wanna push my luck and burn any bridges, since I had a great night and wanted to do this again without any objections from her. So I headed home and got to bed about 4am.

Even as I drifted off to sleep, I considered nudging her and telling her "Honey, I'm going up to the Farmington for a few hours, I'll be back about 9." I also thought about what sunrise at Naps might have been like at about midtide, and maybe I should have stuck it out all night after all...... oh well..... there's always next time.... the summer has just begun.

Next time I'll tell my wife from the get go that I'll be out all night. Then if I come home early, I'm a hero!

Last edited by Schoolie; 07-05-2006 at 01:41 PM..