Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Tuna and Offshore

Old 07-12-2006, 09:10 AM
That's Some Bad Hat Harry

Canyon Preference This Time of Year?

I know this post should go to the Offshore section but since most view on this Section here Goes. In two weeks my boss invited me out to a trip to the Canyons, are there any reports or preffered Canyon to hit this time of year? We are fishing primarily for Tuna! We went to Hydrographers last year and only caught 1 Big eye. I mostly fish inshore and would like some input, suggestions or reports on what Canyon is doing best right now. We are departing from Harwich, 52' Bertram.

Gaffman!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Funny fish addict

First off, LUCKY!!!!! Second is go to sum shops like fishermans outfitters and ask them wats going on at the canyons. There was an article in big game journal about the canyons that time of year. Try and pick up that issue if u have not yet. Good Luck!!!!

-CCK-
Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 AM

Presumably your boss is keyed in

The variables that goes into which canyon are many; I'm mapping them all right now for a trip of my own this weekend and will probably spend 8-12 hours of research and analysis prior to picking a target.

Fuel, time, weather, sea state, sea temp, temprature breaks as well as both inside and anecdotal information all play into the equation. Time of day matters also. What is the tide doing/which way do you want to go around Nantucket? Fog? Those matter also.

Do you want to be alone or in a crowd? East is lonelier; west gets the NY/RI crew alao.

What was hot last week (Hydro??) may be cold this week; what was cold last week (Veatch) may turn red hot this week.

And to further compound it; all it takes in canyon fishing to turn cold to hot is to troll over 2 or 3 schools of tuna in a days time; hit a school and get 4 on a couple times and its a good trip; hit a couple solo's and its better than nothing.

There is no right answer or single spot along the roughly 60 mile edge you can reach from Harwich. Make a decision - Great Point or Hooter as an egress point; that will then help narrow your targets...

Oh yeah - report - Veatches had a 72-76 degree break - we had a white marlin come out of the 1st flyer we went by, 3 jumps and gone. We pounded Veatches for 4 hours as did a couple other boats to no avail. I went west towards Atlantis - nothing for ~25 miles along the edge other than mahi and one tuna runoff. Nothing at night in Atlantis; nothing at dawn, 3-4 other boats had the same luck. We had one really nice fish dump half a 50 a few miles N of Atlantis but pulled the hook 50 yards out. A couple small yellows up on the shelf after that but Veatch -> Atlantis was cold last week.

probably be on fire tomorrow....

Last edited by backman; 07-12-2006 at 11:50 AM..
Old 07-12-2006, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the input and understand the variables, we have two boats headed out, one captain is experienced with fishing the Canyons. I myself thought I do a little research ahead of time being a Canyon rookie and like to pre-educate rpior to going anywhere! Would like to here how you do this weekend, PM me if you do not want to broadcast your findings.

Best regards and good luck on your run!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:28 PM

Bill,

Great news! I talked to the wife and she said I can go. See you guys at the dock.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:05 PM

The best 60 or 100$ you'll spend

Its going to cost 2K plus to run a Bert 52 to the edge. If you do not already subscribe to a sea surface analysis program; go ante up 64$ or whatever the one time cost from Roff's is and get a satellite ashot and analysis the day before you go.

Peanuts compared to the other costs and invaluable in going to within 5 miles of "the spot" on your initial run out.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Trust in LB, 2 weeks running he's got a solid 2# Mahi to show for his offshore/canyon efforts.

I never quite understood runnng 125 miles for 20-50# YFT, when 8 miles out you have BFT to 80"s coming in. I know there is solid shots at the marlin family, but most run undergunned in the reel dept, so why waste so much fuel??

chris
Old 07-12-2006, 04:21 PM

Someday young Jedi

you'll have a blue marlin come up your spread; knock down every clip on the boat and pile, shoulders high on a lure the size of a terrier and dump 300 yards before you can get to the reel, leaving a spray of whitewater equivalent to a jetski doing donuts.

Then some evening, in the glow of the lights a shark the size of your transom will come up out of the dark; turn sideways and look at you like "with or without cheese".

Or purple turning to orange in the east; dark behind you as volkswagons come up out of the black sea and 3 out of your 4 bars go down and keep on going.

Try it once or twice before you criticize it.

Oh yeah - last week's yellowfin was excellent on the grill and as sushi. Had any tuna lately?

Last edited by backman; 07-12-2006 at 04:30 PM..
Old 07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Sponsor

While all of those things can and do happen, the NORM is much more likely to be a dozen YFT to 50#, all the rat mahi you want with a 20 something thrown in and maybe a cutoff by the odd wahoo. I keep tabs on Clearlight and several other offshore sites and the big blue girl and the big eye wolfpack are far and away the long shot. For the money it's tough to beat the BFT bite in our own back yard. Catching 4-5 50-70# BFT at a time in a world class whale show and having the chance at a giant, or big mako/ thresher as well is pleanty of action for most. Saving 100 miles of running just adds to the allure.

BTW, why all the hype about YFT? Ive taken them to 90# on spinning gear after hearing how the "fight SOOOO much better than a BFT" After 5 minutes the gaff went in the YFT same as the BFT, only difference was the funny long yellow fins and the distance I went to get them. With the big numbers of BFT that have been around the idea of running long for spread covering bites of 50# YFT no longer excites me. Last year out east we had to drop to 5 rods from 7 because the number of coverups was getting out of hand. As for mahi, they taste great and I love them on lite gear, but on a 30W they are not much different than a 18# bluefish mixed in with the BFT. Just kind of a nusence.

Capt. Terry Nugent

Last edited by riptide; 07-12-2006 at 04:39 PM..
Old 07-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Yes Gaffman this thread does belong in the Offshore forum.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Some like blondes, others redheads

I checked my logs. 9 canyon trips on my boat; 2 on another one. 6 blue marlin encounters; 3 hookups (none to the boat ;(..) and 13 (!!) white marlin encounters/4 released boatside. You were on one of those trips w/ a double white encounter.

A tuna is a tuna is a tuna; all sizes being equal, I think longfin are the toughest; too bad they max. out at 60 pounds or so. A 200 pound big eye is a tough fish in 1000' but then so is anything 200#.

Distance is relative - Atlantis is 92 miles from my dock - BC is 51, Regal Sword is 57 and BB is 65. On one hand 50+ miles for one fish I may not be able to keep; on the other way 80+ miles for a variety of fishes I can keep with the chance every 2nd trip of an encounter with a billfish.

Once you get past the need to pull on lots and lots of fish, the lure and mystery of what just might happen at any time is what keeps me coming back to the canyons, despite both the cost and the effort to get there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terrywithwhite.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	7750  
Old 07-12-2006, 06:56 PM

The only thing lacking from the near shore offshore fishery in New England is bill fish. I love catching all types of tunas, however, there is something special about a billfish taking a bait and tail walking to the horizon.

Sam
Old 07-13-2006, 07:34 AM
martinatpw

hydro saturday

Larry, couple decent looking pictures in hydro, from offshore sat service. we mght make the run down there on saturday, as opposed to being one of 500 boats chasing bluefin east... not sure yet. odds do probably favor east, but weather windows likethis, give us a good chance to find something different south. send me a note at martinatpw@msn.com if you want some company on the radio, if we go down there.. 34 sea vee, roosterbone..
Old 07-13-2006, 09:57 AM

Great Post ,Great Input, I am looking forward to this trip, Myself & Stingray both got Invited this trip on a 2 boat run. The other boat is Reel-Attitude, he is good friends with my boss and well experienced with the Canyon fishing and Charters. I understand the fish are in close, and Stingray & I have both been out there in his boat fishing a couple times a week on his 22 ft CC and having a ball. Theres just something about a trip like this you can't say no to when invited on a 52 footer boat with the alure of 2 boats heading for BIG WATER. Although we only caught one fish last year, just seeing the water color, the amount of dolphins, and the Marlin chasing up to the gear was good enough for me. I had one hook-up with the best fight I ever had fighting stand-up although a loss it had me sold to return for more! Sorry JOE! the boat is full, I consider myself super lucky to get invited on board!
Hopefully I'll have some pics to post!
Thanks Riptide!

GAFFMAN
Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 AM

Bill,

I was just kidding. As much as I'd love to be out there I don't think I could survive and offshore trip.

You guys will have a great time and that's before you even wet a line. Have a great time and remember to bring the camera. Hopefully you'll get a bft between now and then so you can build up some stamina.

See you guys OTW. I'll be out Sat and Sun and likely with the wife each time