Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Hooter Bonito - 7/29

Hit the Hooter off of Wasque last weekend. Lots of beefy bonito mixed in with the blues northwest of the marker. It was too rough to set up with the fly rod, so the four fish we landed were all trolled up with a ratio of four blues to every bonito. Two of the bonito were healthy sized suckers.

Back out there this weekend with hopes of throwing some bunnies their way. We never saw the fish working on top, just lots of dumb gull sitting over the bait balls (sandeels) and terns working diligently.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Dave Churbuck? You are still among the living!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:32 AM

Leaders

What type of leader/tippet is best for throwing at bonito with the fly?? Especially with blue mixed in??

Thanks for advise!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish
What type of leader/tippet is best for throwing at bonito with the fly?? Especially with blue mixed in??

Thanks for advise!
If you wanted bonito, it's best just to expect to feed a few flies to bluefish (when they're in the area). I'd use 12 lb flouro.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

I am among the living. But barely. I was hit by a car on Memorial Day weekend while riding my bike past the entrance of New Seabury -- pretty bad head injury that I'm still recovering from. I've had to avoid sunlight pretty much ever since due to the migraines brought on by bright lights, my short term memory is weird, and for couple weeks I couldn't add numbers (but I could multiply). That and the pressures of an amazing new job have kept me slammed and slammed hard.

Fishing is good therapy but I miss my bike. I'm on vacation for a week starting this Friday night, so expect to see me in the Tashmoo along the southside every morning hunting for bonito.

As for tippets, I always prefer a flourocarbon leader -- fairly short and a straight shot of 20 lb -- on a 400 grain sinker. Too long of a leader and the line will belly down below the fly. I like to get the shot in front of the school, let it sink with no retrieve, twitch strip as the school gets close and hopefully let it ride. Search the archives for Steve Moore's set up, he totally changed my approach to bonito and albie set ups. Bluefish are going to getcha no matter what.

Last edited by David Churbuck; 08-03-2006 at 10:15 AM..
Old 08-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up

That's why you haven't been around?
Hey, all the best with your recovery Dave.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:20 PM

Dave C!

WOW- this brings back a cloudy memory (no offense) of a Fish Wire report that once spoke of Memorial Day as the day left-turns officially became illegal on Rt 28! Weird- and scary too.
Dave, so glad to hear you are on the mend, and on the water. You post prompted me to go back and look for a couple classics which I had no luck in doing. First was Ritalin Amber's Striper Surprise, and second was the fly-cast balloon-popping exposition at some conference. Anybody with info about these classic posts will be my hero!
-Wild John (sorry this should be a new thread, but I already typed it and I'm lazy)
Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 PM

OT for David

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Churbuck
I am among the living. But barely. I was hit by a car on Memorial Day weekend while riding my bike past the entrance of New Seabury -- pretty bad head injury that I'm still recovering from. I've had to avoid sunlight pretty much ever since due to the migraines brought on by bright lights, my short term memory is weird, and for couple weeks I couldn't add numbers (but I could multiply).
Sorry to hear about your injury, and glad to hear you're still in the game, David. I can both empathize and relate. I went down hard on a motorcycle in '86, and in addition to almost losing my life, lost a lung and subsequently suffered for years from intense migraines. They were so bad that at times in my slightly more foolish days I tried knocking myself out, literally, in an affort to to end the pain (think smashing your head against a stone wall). Sensitivity to light, heat and noise came with it, as did a host of other cruel symptoms, but the worst was the pain. I was dead when I arrived at the ER, and whisked off to a surgical marathon, where my life was saved (at a pretty steep cost--I have two foot-long zippers on my front and back for souvenirs), but all the more tangible injuries *combined* felt pleasant in comparison to the migraines that came after.

Anyway, if you haven't already, do yourself a favor and have your neurologist look into Imitrex, Zomig and any other meds that can counter the brutality of the full-blown migraine. There are also things you can do to help when having an attack, including literally soaking your head in a bucket full of ice water. Sounds crazy, but actually it makes sense, as migraines, while still largely not understood, are agreed by the 'experts' to be a vascular issue, specifically, a result of dilation of blood vessels in the brain. The drugs I mentioned act to counter by vascular constriction, which is why the ice submersion thing works for some. Heat expands things, and cold contracts, right? Also, there is an oxygen therapy trick that has worked as well for me at times.

Problem times of year were almost always Summer, with the heat, so try to stay cool; it may help. I don't suffer much from them anymore, but years of literally writing in agony from the most intense pain known to man (how my neurologists all have described intense migraine attacks) was in a word, horrific.

Anyway, hang in and Godspeed in your recovery. Say, I don't suppose you were on a tandem and Mark was on the other end of the bike? Haven't seen that boy around here for ages.

Leighton

P.S. As far as the other neurological stuff, ask me some day about my bout with amnesia; now that's some freaky stuff (and no, wasn't from the M/C wreck; was another one of my failed adolescent tricks designed to thrill and chill myself).
Old 08-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

The migraines are under control. I took a massive whack to the forehead after I landed literally on my head, splitting the helmet in half. I looked like a neanderthal immediately after the accident then my face turned black and swelled up to Klingon proportions. I can only imagine what my poor brain looked like.

I'm on Fiorecet (aka Phuqital) and Elavil, an anti-depressant used for migraine control which makes me feel like Frankenstein every morning. Caffeine is supposed to do the trick too. I'm in physical therapy to regain my neck and upperback muscles,I can't make a fist with my right hand (which makes fishing a challenge) and I still have serious speech aphasia which makes me sound like Porky Pig.

I'm out one sweet bicycle -- a former pro bike ridden on the Saturn team by Viktor Rapinski, but lucky otherwise to be in one piece.

I dunno what happened to the fishwire archives. I'll ping Mr. Web Cahill and ask.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:09 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Churbuck
I'm on Fiorecet (aka Phuqital) and Elavil, an anti-depressant used for migraine control which makes me feel like Frankenstein every morning. Caffeine is supposed to do the trick too. I'm in physical therapy to regain my neck and upperback muscles,I can't make a fist with my right hand (which makes fishing a challenge) and I still have serious speech aphasia which makes me sound like Porky Pig.
Fiorecet was one of the first prescribed for me. Didn't work well, unless I chased it with copious ccs of demerol or any number of other heavy hitting pain meds. The others worked much better (this is still very much relative; when you're in the fetal position, covered in vomit and unable to do anything but scream, 'works better' isn't really a quantifiable measure.

As to the caffeine, it is also a vascular constrictor, and an additive to many, if not most OTC migraine meds. And as an aside, now you know why people who are hard-core coffee drinkers and quit cold turkey suffer horrible headaches.

Sounds like you do have some work to do to get your noodle back in top running condition. I wish good luck to you. Hopefully, the joker who hit you has deep pockets, and you can do some recovering on tuna boats six months a year for the rest of your life.

L8R,

L
Old 08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Archive of Churbuckian FishWire Intros -- blast from the past

Okay Widdoes -- you're right, I can't find those old Fishwires either -- so for those who cares, here's the greatest hits in one MS Word file.

Re-reading makes me miss writing the weekly column.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SAMPLE ESSAYS ON SALTWATER FISHING.doc (99.0 KB, 249 views)
Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Publisher

All your my brother!

I'm writing it right now. Looking for South side and CC Bay info!

Thorne
Old 08-03-2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks Dave

Who needs Crunch and Des when we've got Ritalin Amber and Wayne from Receiving! I'm serious, somebody should publish this stuff.
Wild "By the way, (one of) my fish car(s) was a 1977 VW Dasher from that very same era of Audi/VW constipation, er, cooperation. But mine was brown, more appropriate really" John
Old 08-03-2006, 11:14 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that your on the mend. Looking forward to some of your hilarious reports/posts in the near future I hope.

Best of luck with your recovery.