Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-29-2006, 08:46 AM

Sunday Napatree report

I fished the Napatree area on Sunday with a newbie out of kayaks. He was a great sport as we left the house at 11:00 PM on Saturday and hit the water around 1:00 AM. It was very dark as there was no visable moon and we had a stiff wind in our face. We fished from 1:00 AM until about 7:30 with mixed results. The wind made it very difficult as you'd hook a fish or change a lure or fix your gear and you'd be blown 100 yards from where you started. I only have one wind sock and his kayak was not rigged for it so we left it home. He also didn't have a anchor set up and I'm not sure I'd want him anchored in that current and wind anyway. So we were stuck blowing in the wind.

We caught a handful of schoolies and had numerous bluefish bite off our sluggos. We didn't see any bait, but they were clearly feeding on sand eels if our sluggos were any indication. We also so a bird feeding frenzy over shallow water (no bass) that must have been sand eels. We didn't fish much around the corner due to the wind and my friends lack of experience.

Overall we had fun and he enjoyed the trip though he did refer to it as a "fear factor" episode at one point.