OK Bob Out With It

Wheres this canal place anyway

The World's Foremost Authority on My Own Opinion
Old 09-01-2006, 08:24 AM

Unhappy Musta been bad!

There are no words to describe it eh?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 AM
meat slinger

i wanna know why hes posting when he should be fishing!!!

i fished the last 3 mornings, (not today) and the fish were up until slack tide. he musta gotten a big'un!

Old 09-01-2006, 09:12 AM

I'm headed to Monument Beach tonight and boatless. What's the scoop? Will I be getting out of bed early and patrolling the ditch with high expectations or just sitting a Bell Road drinking coffee and watching the weekend wonders?

Sam

Last edited by soundownsam; 09-01-2006 at 09:14 AM..
Old 09-01-2006, 10:24 AM

As I was crossing the Sag Bridge this AM there were fish breaking under birds. And me heading to work. It looked ideal and very fishy.

Soundownman, I live in MoBe and hand at Bell Rd. Blue Ply. vovager. I'm the blonde guy. Say hi when your around.

Todd
Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 AM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

I think I'll head down there Sunday AM. Anyone know if the tide will be favorable?

The World's Foremost Authority on My Own Opinion
Old 09-01-2006, 02:40 PM

Ray--just head down. The way things have been the last week or so, any time of the day could be favorable. The fish show, or they don't. They've shown at different times, but from just light to a half hour before slack seems to be consistent.

If you chase the birds and work the schools of breaking fish, you will probably be into bass from micros to "just-legals", and blues in the 3-4 pound range. Your best shot at a cow is in the wee hours, down deep, or with eels.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Dawn on CC Bay

Cool

Hmmm, he must've seen a whale .

-bd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG
Old 09-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Dawn on CC Bay

Last night at the Canal

Well if you like blues chopping jigs, there were plenty of 'em last night on the last half of the west tide. 3-5 lb-ers, especially in the east end, mostly down deep. Actually managed to hook a few. Felt a few hard hits that were bass, but they were their usual finicky selves and not easily hooked.

Heading down this AM to see what all this breaking fish stuff during the day is about. I get to fish in daylight conditions about once in a blue moon .

BTW, the east end was quite breezy out of the E last night. Probably to be avoided tonight if you are trying to do any kind of jigging. The wind slack in the line was starting to become a problem and I know I missed hits.

-bd
Old 09-02-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdowning
BTW, the east end was quite breezy out of the E last night. Probably to be avoided tonight if you are trying to do any kind of jigging. The wind slack in the line was starting to become a problem and I know I missed hits.

-bd
Been blowing 20-30 dead east all day. East is the worst wind direction for the Canal. You can escape almost any other wind by choosing a spot wisely, but an east is a dead crosswind just about everywhere.

West would present the same problems, but it seems we rarely get a straight west wind.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:53 PM

fished the canal last night and the wind was not that bad. I thought the wind was going to shift to the east last night so I headed to the outer beaches for some wind in my face action but the shift did not happen and the wind stayed SE. Fished the outer beaches...big surf but that right to left wind made it tough to keep a tight line.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Dawn on CC Bay

9-2 report

Word has it you can catch some legal breaking bass at dawn to 9 lately, but some days it happens, other days it doesn't. It didn't happen yesterday, well not at least when I arrived around 9 AM or so. Nothing showing but I managed a schoolie jigging metal blind. A big pocket of breaking dinks showed up at mid Canal for most of the afternoon pushing peanuts from one side of the Canal to the other, but the biggest I could see was about 22 inches or so. Night was forgettable, nice tide but I think the unrelenting E wind finally messed things up, water dirty and only a few small bass around. East end was way too windy for jigging but was able to duck much of it in the west end.

-bd

Old 09-03-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdowning
Word has it you can catch some legal breaking bass at dawn to 9 lately, but some days it happens, other days it doesn't. It didn't happen yesterday, well not at least when I arrived around 9 AM or so. Nothing showing but I managed a schoolie jigging metal blind. A big pocket of breaking dinks showed up at mid Canal for most of the afternoon pushing peanuts from one side of the Canal to the other, but the biggest I could see was about 22 inches or so. Night was forgettable, nice tide but I think the unrelenting E wind finally messed things up, water dirty and only a few small bass around. East end was way too windy for jigging but was able to duck much of it in the west end.

-bd

I can vouch for the slow evening. I caught one small guy around 20" in the Herring Run area. The good signs were the amount of bait on both the east and west ends (as well as the Herring Run area). Evidently, I missed a good bluefish bite (yes, I still like to catch those unlike a few others) in the AM. The other word I heard was that the latter half of the west (both AM and PM) have been the best tides as of late.

On a seperate note, I think the Canal is going to have a good albie showing this year....just a gut feeling. That's especially good because the place I normally fish for those is lacking in bait, although there were a few more silversides yesterday than there had been-but still no bigger bait (meaning peanuts and juvie herring). The canal has all three and more.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:09 AM

PS...I should add that the one fish I caught also represented the only hit I had of the evening in about 3 hrs of fishing the canal...very slow-especially compared to last Sunday.