Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Harpooner

Exclamation Herring Meeting results

The Council voted today to lower the Area 1A TAC from 60,000 mt to 50,000 mt for the next year and they will then go back and make any changes based on science that comes out between now and then. Unless explicitly addressed, this will be in place for 2007-2009. While not the 15,000 mt reduction all of us hoped for, this is far better than the status quo. It took a lot of work to get people on the Council to come around and so I am pretty happy with this modest reduction.

BUT- THIS IS MEANINGLESS UNLESS THE PS/FG ONLY (BUFFER ZONE) and the rest of Amendment 1 is passed by NMFS. The smallr TAC will not mean a thing if these boats are still inshore next summer. The only thing that will make this worthwhile is if the Buffer Zone is implemented by NMFS.

SO, if you havent already, PLEASE take 2 minutes and write an email or letter to NMFS showing support for Amendment 1. ***When writing, you now want to refer to it as the Proposed Rule for Amendment 1. You should state that this includes, among other things, the Buffer Zone.

I know these redundant comment periods are extremely annoying but that is just how this stuff works. The current comment period is no less important than those before it and I can assure you the other side is taking a lot of time to shut this thing down. Please, whether you write a new letter or use the Sample I posted in the "Giants in the GOM..." thread below, take the short time and write in. This is going to make or break this whole area. Even if you only say that "I support NMFS Proposed Rule for Amendment 1" that would help.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by twofinbluna; 09-28-2006 at 07:50 PM..
Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Harpooner

update

Here is the sample letter again, the only major difference is that this is a new comment period, as NMFS published the Proposed Rule yesterday, and I have updated the contact info. If you sent one before simply send it to the new contact info with the minor changes I made to the first and last paragraphs.

""Dear Patricia,

My name is .............., I am a ............... (recreational tuna fishermen, for example), out of .............. . I am writing to show my very strong support for the timely implementation of Amendment 1 to the Herring Fishery Management Plan, as published recently by NMFS in the Proposed Rule (PR).

Amendment 1, which includes the Purse Seine/Fixed Gear Only Zone (PS/FG Zone), would be a crucial step towards the sustainable management of the herring fishery. This fishery has decimated the inshore herring resource and Amendment 1 is absolutely vital if we intend to have a healthy herring resource in the future.

As a .......... fisherman, I have seen the devastating effects of this trawler fleet and it has been very disturbing. Herring are the backbone of inshore ecosystem and it shouldnt surprise anyone to see that a major trawler fishery for herring has brought the entire ecosystem to its knees.

The tuna, whales and other migratory species that come here solely to eat no longer come and stay like they once did. These animals travel thousands of miles to come here for one thing and one thing only: to eat. Is it any wonder than that when a trawler fishery is able to remove the crucial forage the whales and tuna come here for that less tuna and whales will come and stay?

Furthermore, how is it that so much has been done, and so many have sacrificed, to allow groundfish to rebuild, and yet these trawlers are given a free pass to fish in closed areas, on or near bottom, and with smaller mesh than anywhere in the world? Not only is the bycatch of cod and other groundfish going to halt the rebuilding process, but the removal of the herring that these stocks need to rebuild is also going to help ensure the rebuilding never succeeds. The way this trawler fleet has been managed has made a mockery of the groundfish rebuilding efforts.

There is so much I would like to say but the bottom line is that if Amendment 1 to the Herring FMP (as published in the PR) is not put in place by next summer, it will likeley be too late. This trawler fishery has ruined the inshore Gulf of Maine and surrounding areas, and it will continue to devastate the inshore ecosystem, and the coastal communities that rely on it. Please implement this Amendment as soon as possible.

Thanks for your time,

Contact Info:

• Mail to Patricia A. Kurkul, Regional
Administrator, NMFS, Northeast
Regional Office, One Blackburn Drive,
Gloucester, MA 01930. Mark the outside
of the envelope ‘‘Comments Herring
Amendment 1’’

• Fax to Patricia A. Kurkul (978) 281–
9135;

• E-mail to the following address:
HerrAmend1@noaa.gov. Include in the
subject line of the e-mail comment the
following document identifier:
‘‘Comments HerrPropRuleAmend1.’’

• Electronically through the Federal
e-Rulemaking portal: http://
www.regulations.gov.

Last edited by twofinbluna; 09-28-2006 at 03:47 PM..
Old 09-29-2006, 07:15 AM

seriously

come on guys if you ever want there to be able to catch giants again with more regularity than hitting the lottery just take a few minutes and do this. Canada where all the fish that would normally summer here, is CRUSHING the fish right now... They have herring that are 15" long up thereand lots of them. Here its like a gold mine if you ever see a ball of herring these days. together all the gear types have caught less than 1/10 of the entire US quota for bluefins... As long as these boats are still working inside its a JOKE. And the groundfish guys... Got a tote of bait the other day that had a redfish and a haddock in it... Which can tell you only that they are dragging the bottom. So starting this winter there is NO possession of Groundfish allowed in MA waters. We are doing our part to conserve. But in one tow these boats are killing more groundfish than every dragger oiut there combined.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 PM

I just chipped in and did my part for more and bigger fish.

Thanks twofin for posting the letter.

Ian
Old 09-30-2006, 01:08 AM
Harpooner

Thanks Guys, keep motivating people, we need all the letters possible.

Junior, you are dead on. In general but especially in reagrds to what you say about groundfish. The herring boats definitly catch/kill more groundfish than the groundfish fleet inshore (within roughly 50 miles of land)
Old 09-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Harpooner

Here is another sample letter people can use. It doesnt make a difference I just figured that it cant hurt having different ones people can use.

(attached)
Attached Files
File Type: doc sample herring comment letter 2.doc (31.0 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-30-2006, 12:16 PM

Thanks again - this is great. I've sent my letter and passed it on to other folks. This is the most important conservation news I've seen in a long time.

Everybody reading this forum should take a few minutes and send their letter.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Harpooner

thanks schwilp, good work!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:48 PM

Stop The Mid-waters

Good job guys.... I have been trying to get up to speed on the amendment. I read the proposal the other day and my head almost exploded. Email and fax these ASAP. Pass them along to your friends. We are the ONLY country to allow this type of fishing.

Again nice work getting the word out. I will be on a faxing / emailing marathon this week!

It is a shame that the Giants dont come though Jefferys in the fall anymore...... If there was Herring around they would come and stay. I have seen how they methodicly strip the place off all the Herring in a matter of 48 hours..... Not good!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 PM

October is Tuna time....

Need to go tight !!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Harpooner

Canada

Want to see what Canada has now because of our lack of bait and tuna?

This video was just taken on the hell Hole, not far over the Hague Line from us. Sickening, this is what we should have. This problem becomes more obvious all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDzMl...elated&search=
Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Get off the phone!

Moviegeek2 Rocks!

I love this guy, the commentary is a riot. It seems a little grotesque with all those fish on the deck (we can take 3 a day) but I think these guys could use a little extra dough for the heat bill.
Chatham, MA
Reel-Time Sponsor
Old 10-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Harpooner

They basically have an ITQ system, so they can have days like that.