Forum Navigation

Search

Old 10-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Go West, Young (hrumph) Man

For some reason, I decided to spend 2 mid-week days fishing for trout rather than searcing the salt, even though I live in Boston. It was worth the trip.

I called Mass DNR this morning, as the web site offers no information on Fall stocking. The nice person I talked to told me that stocking in the Valley District started last week in the North, and were in the south part of the Disrict today. That meant that, maybe, the Miller's had been (re) stocked.

I fished two of the Catch and Release stretches, and it is amazing what a difference a few miles makes. I wasted 2 hours at the first stretch with nothing to show for it.

I spend from 3-6:30pm at the second spot caught 6 nice fish, including a rainbow, brown, brookie and smallmouth. Not quite a tropical slam but rewarding none the less. All fish were taken on nymphs, despite my elitist attempts at dry fly fishing. The rainbows were 12" - 14".

For me, great weather, a few fish and some wine afterwards made for a great day.

The river is high but easilly wadeable. So the question is: east or west?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 AM

West. The Deerfield is fishing pretty good right now and this moment the water levels are down.

jed