Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 AM

Millstone Outflow, late season Albies

I have not been to Millstone for a few years, but is it still holding late season albies? I recall being able to catch them until thanksgiving. Are there still catchable numbers at the little gull, sluiceway, gut area? I am hoping to get out this weekend. Any info would be appreciated.
H
Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harc
I have not been to Millstone for a few years, but is it still holding late season albies? I recall being able to catch them until thanksgiving. Are there still catchable numbers at the little gull, sluiceway, gut area? I am hoping to get out this weekend. Any info would be appreciated.
H
I've heard the Sluiceway was still producing as of Friday (didn't read any weekend reports one way or the other). As far as Millstone, I haven't fished that since 2000, which was the last year you could due to 9/11. That was from shore and as you said, the fishing was quite phenominal. From a boat, you can still access it to a point...but there is a marked area which you cannot fish inside of and from what I understand, it's a fair distance from the actual outflow (but perhaps someone could correct or clarify how far that distance is). The upside is that occasionally, the albies do roam pretty far from that outflow and out to where you are allowed to fish (the water is still pretty warm a fair distance away from the powerplant). But my experience (which is minimum there) is that more times than not, those fish will hold right in the outflow. While I miss that fishery, I believe in the course of action being taken to secure our safety.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:57 AM

2000 was the last year I fished Millstone as well. You could pull up in the boat and see the albies swimming in the current like trout. Cast a fly and hang on. Interesting fishing scene too. I recall the term combat fishing being used. good fun though. Does anyone know how close you can get with a boat?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 AM

Fished those areas on Sunday. You can right up to the outflow with no issues. There were no albies present in th emorning or afternoon there. Lots of bluefish slamming bait right up against the shore though.

The sluiceway had albies. They were very picky. Managed one big one and dropped another one.