Forum Navigation

Search

Old 10-26-2006, 08:51 AM

Boats N' Blitzes - WTF?!?!

Last Monday I was fishing at Turtles Cove at Montauks Lighthouse when finally a big blitz appeared heading towards the beach. It didn't take long for a (green) boat too show and Instead of carefully approaching the blitz, the boat decided to go straight through and stop right in the middle of it. Needless to say that the action didnt last long and the fish immediately disappeared.

Being the only flyfisherman on shore I was ****ed off at the lack of common sense and respect towards the surf fishermen the captain had. It seemed he didnt care at all as long as his fly fishing charter was put on the fish.

There are some very interesting/angry opinions on another forum called Surfrats where I started the discussion on this topic. I thought it would be interesting to get some opinions from some captains/flyfishermen as they seem to be given all the blame.

Last edited by Bob Parsons; 10-26-2006 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: link removed
Old 10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

and for those of you that don't know what he's talking about....that fishing series with the guides demonstrates it perfectly this week.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:36 AM

Fly-fishing from the shore in Turtle Cove .. wow.. rumor has it that the last guy who did that was tied to the top of the Lighthouse with Power-Pro.

As has been said here and other places, some guys act like idiots on the water. Some are flyfisherman and others not. My favorite is the 45 foot Sportfisherman trolling between two small boats casting at fish. It's funny that some Montauk surf guys are whining about boats putting down fish when these same guys are casting over each others lines and fish when schools come in close. Usually the culprits on both sides of the high water mark are guys who come in for a day or so fishing and feel free to do whatever it takes to catch a fish.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator

This topic has come up and been discussed in the New England forum. It is the hope that some of these people will read these forums and get a clue about how they hurt others and their own fishing.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:40 PM

I have seen the same thing as a client on the green boat-- I told him to back off from the surfcasters. I surfcast 1/2 the time I visit Montauk and understand both positions. Unfortunately, the ESPN2 series may have gone to their head-- they think they own the water like certain surfers in California and Hawaii.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:42 PM

Guides invading the surfcasters, boaters coming too close to other boaters, big charters boats running down smaller boats, people driving their boats onto the shore. Even threads on whether its ok to fly fish in Turtle Cove. Its all been covered here ad nauseum. Almost hard to find anything new to say on the topic.

I'm actually surprised to see this as a topic, because in the past couple weeks, Montauk has had plenty of fish to go around for everyone. Its usually when things are tough and people need things to gripe about.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Break Neck Speed

FMW,

I couldn't agree more! The "Green Boat" will eventually get his when he get's too close to shore as the surfcasters have no qualms about letting you know when you have invaded their domain. Somehow thing's always seem to work themselves out at the point one way or another. By the way it ain't only at Montauk that it happens, I fish all over the east end of the sound and it happens everywhere you go. When it happens to me these days I pickup and go elsewhere there are too many spots to catch then to sit and have some idiot ruin my day.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Reel timer

lets give this topic a rest

agreed fmw and albiman......montauk is what it is...its a great fishery in close proximity to a major U.S. city. So its crowded. I have been fishing the surf there for 20 years and fly fishing for the last 10 and the only thing that has changed is that its gotten more crowded. I thought that this year would be a real s**t show because of the t.v. series but it really isn't much different. The guides that i fish there are very aware of the surf fishermen and generally do not encroach on their position. Likewise I havn't had anyone from the surf throw a 3 oz bucktail in the boat ....near the boat yes ...but hell, that's where the fish are and if the guy wanted to hit us ...he could have. Some people just need to have aggrivation and drama in their lives and that's why we keep talking about this......Interesting that this thread gets started again at the same time that the t.v. series is starting to repeat.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 AM

Boat etiquitte

I agree with the part about not interfering with the fishable areas of other fishermen in the area but running through a blitz with a boat does not send them down. I have found over 15 years in both Rhode Island and Key West that slowly approaching a feeding frenzy has no different impact than running up quickly and leaving the motor running except for catching less fish. In fact I caught more Bonito (Atlantic Bonito Sarda Sarda) off RI when I left the motor running and glided right into the school. I had charters catch 100's of fish with 10 feet of flyline out and the boat gliding and motor running. Approaching slowly never got you close enough before they went down. The same goes down here in Key West for Blackfin Tuna, Cero and Spanish Mackerel. Leave the engine running and drive right into them. Cast hook up and drift off to fight the fish then find the school again.

As long as there are no other boats around that you will interfere with and will accuse you of sending the fish down you will hook up better. Tunas and Mackerel always feed in circles and set patterns to the bait. They will follow this pattern 3 or 4 times at various time intervals which you can watch and figure out. They will only move on when the bait is gone. I rarely see Tunas and Mackerel that are boat shy. Same applies as to why they hit a trolled lure 30 feet behind a 60 foot wad of water splashing fiberglass with two rumbling smoke spewing diesel engines. Thye are not put down by the boat. They go down because it is the pattern they feed in.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:40 AM

Rokus-

Just curious. Was it a 23' Parker with a green hull and white topside, Tee Top and a black 250 Suzuki motor?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 PM

the description fits but I can't say it was it with 100% certainty.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

"GO NORTH YOUNG MAN"

[IMG]log chalet[/IMG] [IMG]River View[/IMG] [IMG]spa and deck[/IMG]

Dont know if these images came out, but I'm going NORTH. Bought a piece of land and log chalet in Quebec on an Atlantic Salmon river. Don't need all the conjestion. The shorelines of the USA are more or less f***ed. From N.Carolina, to Maine, either factories, pollution, or complete mayhem like Montauk in a blitz run rampant. It used to be "a little" different.

Montauk always was a zoo on weekends.....even back in the late 60s and 70s. The Cape the Vineyard, and Nantucket was where you could feel like an explorer, and ply your skills without the distraction of competion. That too now has all changed. Perhaps its the media, overpopulations, more accessability, better roads and vehicles, etc etc have all contibuted. All recreational envirnments are under pressure.....not just our coasts.

Go offshore, and you will see the same. Go for Giants, off Nantucket during the run and you will see 100s of boats out there yelling at each other not to come to close. Same sh#t.

Perhaps its time to find new frontiers! The Gaspe peninsula in Quebec is remote....yes. But thats the price you gotta pay for what you want. Perhaps as one gets older, the kids are out, and career gets less important, it gives you more freedom to get the f##k out of here.......

I would be interested in hearing and talking about NEW REMOTE FRONTIERS that some of you touched upon rather than complaining about what is and what will continue to get worse.
Howie
Old 10-28-2006, 10:16 AM

hey howie, good for you. but it's happening (fast) everywhere. i just hope what happened to me in the keys and the glades the past 10 years will not happen to you (lucky for you, probably not, since it's not warm and very close to a major us city)...
everyone and their mom, and their cat, bought a poling skiff and a hand held gps... (i can only pray that one day the satellites go down!) anyway, it's a good idea if you can do it...
i am thinking of getting a condo in kamchatka...
Old 10-29-2006, 12:08 AM

I fish one of the most crowded areas in the world -- NY Harbor! Yes we get our share of jerks, but "most" yes most of the time everyone works together. One day 2 years ago I had giant school of large stripers jumping all over bunker by Breezy Point, I caught my share and actully used my boat to push the school close to the surf guys who were out of range!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 AM

Montauk

This is a contrary view but in the two weeks I spent at Montauk I think the fishermen were generally more considerate than past few years. The only reason I could think of is the show Guide House actually showed everyone how ridiculous it is to run around being a jerk. I thought the guides ("stars" of the show) were all pretty considerate of other fisherman. Professional guides can set the tone in any area. The boats were close at times during the bass blitzes but I never felt anyone was being a jerk. It seemed that most everyone would move in and take their shot without cutting off others or endangering their boats.

No it was not perfect and never will be. I could point to one guy who is always out there fishing alone who will race around and cut you off and come too close other boats. I could describe his boat and his dog but what is the use, he has been that way ever since I have fished Montauk. For the most part I thought I saw a more reasonable group of fishermen this year. It would have been nice if the albies had been as cooperative.