Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-22-2000, 10:26 AM

Relocating to Boston from UK

I wonder if any one out there can help. I'm moving from the UK to the Boston area later this year. I fish a lot in the UK (not much flyfishing experience tho) - freshwater fishing mainly. (My son and) I would be grateful for any advice and useful contacts (such as stores etc.) in the Boston area. We hope to find a house in the general area of Concord(MA)/Sudbury - know of any local fishing?. Links to other good local freshwater and saltwater web sites (not just flyfishing) would be useful. We hope to try it all (though ice fishing sounds just too cold for this Brit.!).

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Garry
Old 05-22-2000, 11:00 AM

RE: Relocating to Boston from UK

Welcome to the Boston area... one caveat about all transportation to the East of Concord is the "Big Dig" project in Boston. This is a major highway project that will continue to screw up Boston area traffic for a few more years...you might enjoy it though, as sometimes you end up driving on the left side of the road through detours, etc.

One freshwater area you might enjoy is the Quabbin resevior. a 90 sq. mile "lake" about 1&1/2 hrs. west of Concord... a relatively rural area, some areas are open for fishing, and the swift river is nearby. Look at a map for "Belchertown, MA." You need a license to fish freshwater in MA; no license is required for saltwater.
Old 05-22-2000, 11:02 AM

I live a town over from where you hope to move. The good news is there is a lot of good fishing out there with some of the better trout streams a short drive. I'll happily point out a few of my favorite spots when you get settled. The bad news is I only fly fish, as a result, the stores I frequent cater to the Fly. THere is a new outfitter in Concord but I haven't been yet. EMail me when you get closer to the dates and we'll get together.
Old 05-22-2000, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Lots of great fishing availible. The Concord river has a variety of fish in. Get a canoe or small boat and it opens miles of great largemouth bass, pickeral and panfish, and carp if you like.

Waldens pond = trout

Charles River = spring trout in the fast water headwaters sections, bass,pickeral pike and panfish or and carp if you like.

Western mass has two great trout rivers the Millers and the Deerfield.

And then there is the Cape/Plum Island/ Boston harbor for striped bass, blue fish/ flounder etc.
Old 05-22-2000, 11:43 AM

Garry --

As you can see by this board, you're within a short drive of some incredible saltwater fishing. Take advantage of your time here to try for striped bass and bluefish. These fish are far bigger and more powerful than what you'll find in the UK and easily caught from shore. You can either learn some great shore spots from Reel Time or hire a guide -- there are plenty operating out of Boston Harbor.

You might also take an offshore trip on one of the party boats out of Gloucester (Yankee Fleet) or Plymouth (Capt. John Boats) and try for cod or my favorite, wolffish. They also do bluefish trips, but I've never been on one.

Stoddard's at 50 Temple Place in Boston (near the Boston Common Visitors Center/Downtown Crossing) is my favorite shop, but it's mostly fly gear. Salesman Phil Klug is also a guide in Boston Harbor -- if you want to get into fly fishing, salt or fresh, he's a good person to go to.

Old 05-22-2000, 09:05 PM

<P>I'm in more or less the same boat - I'm here temporarily from Ireland. The freshwater fishing is only average, compared to that at home, but the&nbsp;saltwater is amazing. </P>
<P>The striped bass are quite plentiful; the effort put into conservation here has really paid off, while Britain is a few years away from getting bass back (and Ireland's a lot further behind). Catch a good size bluefish and you simply won't believe it - these things go completely crazy and do it a high speed. If you try a little further south, you'll get into the extended tuna family - albacore, big-eye, yellowfin, etc.</P>
<P>You'll have a ball!</P>
<P>B=</P>