Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Striper Thoughts....

Saw something amazing on Sat evening in the Canal.......

This guy saddles up next to me, whips out his casting set up......after 15 mins and maybe 20 cast he's landed 2 stripers over 40 inches.....he throws the fish over his shoulder, grabs his stuff and skulks back into the woods....I'm thinking, "Now that's how it's done".......

As a life long fly guy I've often been tempted to buy myself a casting set up....this episode put me over the edge.......so.....does anyone have any thoughts on an all around (If that's possible) set up for so I could fling plugs and rubber in the canal? Initially I'm thinking a 10 or 11 foot Medium Heavy casting rod with some kind of ABU level wind reel and some braid......I'm a left hand retrieve if that matters.....your thoughts??

Also....is this the year of the seal?.....the fishing shut off like a light immediatly after the first one was spotted, like usual......I don't see this situation getting any better....I feel like every year I see more and more...............Sped
Old 05-21-2007, 11:04 AM

Cool

Resist the dark side luke...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:18 PM

2nd ^ resist at all costs! Get a sinking line, and a BIG fly!

Although i am still looking for my first keeper, I feel like there is a better chance with bigger flies. Tip from a v. famouse auther in the winter shows about fishing the beaches.

"Give them something to shoot for!"

IB
Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Fly Wisherman

"I feel like every year I see more and more"

Remember when spotting a seal was a really cool thing? It was around the same time you'd want to pull over and snap a picture of those beautiful Canadian geese that were making a rare visit to New England. Gas was 30 cents a gallon. There was no AIDS. And not a one of us could have found Iraq on the world map.

I think the seals are to blame for the whole deal.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM
The truth is out there...

It wasn't the casting set up that caught the fish. The guy knew--when to be there and where to be--he knew exactly what he was doing.

nothing like local knowledge and the right tackle in the hands of a skilled angler--it wasn't the rod n' reel that caught those fish. There are a few guys on this board that could make us look foolish down at the canal.

Do what you like to do, if you like to throw big stuff with a heavy rod do it. It is fun catching on the fly and fun catching on the jig!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM

You won't catch 'em if you can't get it to them...
Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Break Neck Speed

PM sent please check

Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Sped,

As an avid fly guy,and a lifelong canal guy I might be able to comment on both.

The canal is about as unfriendly an enviroment as one can find to fly fish. Can it be done effectively...Yes. But only under specific conditions, and in a very few places. Heavy rods (10-12wt), sinking lines, heavy leaders and big flies are the ticket.

But what you saw the other day really isn't all that unusual. On good early morning "plugging tides" you'll see a host of knowlegable fishermen tossing plugs, jigs, and plastics with amazing results.
As far as equipment, a level wind, conventional is not longer a nessesity. I still use one exclusively, but I'm too old and thick to change.
The new generation of graphite spinning rods, and super capacity, high speed spinning reels have leveled the playing field. Factor in super braids...and the advantage just might go to spinning rods these days. More and more top notch canal guys have made the switch to spinning rods, reels/loaded with braid. 90-100 yards cast which once were the exclusive domain of long time conventional tossers, are now easily achieved in the hands of a competent spinning guy.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Stuck In A Seam

Sped, so many options in equipment for the canal. As Bob said a lot of guys are switching over to Saltigas and the new VS 275 for jigging the canal. Generally you will also see many a canal angler carrying a few different rods with them. Current stage and what lure plays a big part in what is used. In the canal you really need top notch equipment and it has to be capable of landing a decent fish in a 2-6 knt current. My conventional is a Lami 1213 m and a 7000cl Black. A frient has a 1209 matched with a 700 calcuta and he was casting 6 ounces effortlessly the other day.

Best bet would be to cast a few outfits before you buy.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 AM

Let me....

....make one thing perfectly clear........I am fully aware of the fact that it is not the casting outfit that caught those fish.......there's just no way I'll ever get my fly in the same place he got his 7inch rubber duck with my fly rod.......hence my querey.......I've got to start somewhere.......

I have many flyrods and even a boat...............and there's somethign so HD Thoueau-like about fishing the canal with one rod and a pocket full of rubber or plugs...........the simplicity is beautiful.......

I do appreciate all your input and PM's......Sped