Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 07-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Sponsor

7/4/07 Wade S.E. Cape Cod "and Beyond" Fishing Reports, Etc....

7/4/07 Wade S.E. Cape Cod "and Beyond" Fishing Reports, Humor,
Articles, Tips, Pictures and Ramblings :
-
Tides improving and so shall the fishing, normally. Cant wait. Some fish showing their normal increased education level on the flats.
-
Safety First:
Please be very careful if wading in the next couple of weeks with these tides. Mother nature always wins unless you have an intimate understanding - knowledge of the habitat you are fishing and are prepared for ALL weather (Pea soup FOG especially), health and tidal sequences (This includes boat's and kayak's and especially the wade angler) - (Bay tides running 8 to 11 feet or higher, you can't out run them) you should stay close to shore. Safety has been discussed at great length over these many years.) - Please remember, their is normally only one (in my normal area, wade) right way off a flat (normally it zig-zag's - in the heavy fog and 20 wrong ways that could spell your dead, swimming or getting rescued. (This is coming from my many personal and professional full - time guide years of working these flats almost daily, etc... and what Ive been witness too, experienced, related to tides and weather, boats, kayak's, wade anglers. )
-
Fresher fish filtering in, not as educated, coming to the fly better (if their could be such a thing with the season we are having. WOW! One of my personal best in 10 years or so Over this last month, very few slow days, a couple OK and pretty good days to mostly VERYYYYYYYYYYYYY good days, no matter the conditions at hand. Don't gyet much but'a!
-
Day 1 - Monday
"Wade" sightfishing all day (with this full-time wade guide) on the flats "w/fly/spin". Only 1 lull first thing in the morning while we stood shallow to be able to see properly, until we had better lighting to move deeper. Soon there after the light improved so we could move to the optimum water level to see these fish properly. We then simply patterned the fish and found their comfort zone. (We needed to stand thigh deep to be on'm on this dropping tide. I normally notice an approx. depth difference between the 2 tides. Normally they will travel 6 inch's (or more) shallower on the incoming and or 6 inch's deeper on the drop. In our area. Has to due with their comfort level on an incoming or dropping tide) As long as we stayed in the zone, we were on them all day. Nothing crazy but just enouph consistent all day sighted BIG fish to keep you at the ready for that 20 lb'r in 2 feet of crystal clear flats water (Lots of'm). Saw some big'ns, played with a few, lost a few. Another super day! God I love this job!
-
Day 2 - Tuesday
Stayed inshore with these building winds. Hit'm HARD!! We Spanke'd'm!! Ye-haa! Don't get much but'a!
-
Day 3 - Wed.
Bigger S.W. winds than yesterday with this front while fly fishing. No need to cancel, just find a nice comfortable spot that has LOTS of fish that is out of this hard wind. Fished with out a whisper of wind as that 20 knot and above wind traveled over our heads, over the 150 foot high bluff's behind us.
I wish things would change, Im getting bored. Noth'n but fish after fish! Whatever happened to fishing for them, instead of nothing but catching all day?
Go get'm!
Randy
-
Thurs. - Off - You can only turn your underwear inside out so many times before you haaaaave to do your laundry!
-
Day 4 - Friday
Canceled trip for latter next week when sight fishing conditions would hopefully be more optimum.
-
Day 5 - Sat.
Flat's, wade, sight, fly. WOW!! Gowabunga! Tons of flats fish. Hope you all can get a good day to try these flats. Cast at many, hooked a few, and also learned how to flats fish and also how to throw a fly rod with an all day lesson. M-M good. My guest's said that this was just the type of day they were looking for. Some instruction on casting and perfecting their flats fishing. I think we succeeded!
-
Day 6 - Sunday
Scheduled day off
-
Day 7 - Monday
Flat's, wade, sight, fly. Slow start until the tide started moving. Then all heck broke lose! Ye-haa! Sightfishing was pretty good except for a lil to much wind at times, some white clouds and a few lull's. Otherwise Blue bird day with just enouph big'ns on the flats to keep you at the ready. We played with a few, "broke off" a few (my client did warn me that he had a heavy hand, missed a few and had lots of lookers. Basically, another one of many super days out on the flats learning this sightfishing game for the rest of your life.
-
Day 8 - Tuesday
Started of searching for them. Lil Lull. Then we began to find a few here and there to sight cast too with the fly rod while wading these crystal clear flats. 2 hours after the low the fish began to become concentrated on the edges we were strategically staging at. (Key) Worked like a charm as usual. The rest was left up to mother nature and how many she would give us for this tide over these light colored sand flats. She showed my guest LOT'S BIG'NS, and a few smaller. We landed Bigger and smaller, had shots at a good number on this picture perfect sight fishing flats day. Not as many fish as the previous day, but as usual, just enouph to keep your eyes searching and your fly rod at the ready with the adrenaline running up your spine everytime a fish showed itself!!!
-
Off for the Holiday. Go get'm! Best Fish's, Randy
-
Thursday canceled due to high winds.
-
2007 Summer- OPEN DATES (Subject to change quickly)
July 19-22, 24-25, 27-29, 31 open (including weekends) in July.
July is when the fish are the biggest!
All dates open (including weekends) in August, when the
fish are big and smart! (Aug. 6, 15, 20-31 Booked)
-
Ever apply sunscreen, bug dope just before you go fishing? Apply any while your fishing? Here is a lil tip that most of us never consider that might help you catch a few more fish while wade, fly/spin slow and deep:

This what I ask my guest's to do.
**If you apply ANY sunscreen or bug repellent there, PLEASE rinse your hands off VERY VERY good with hanging hose by dock, please. We can not have this scent get on any of our equipment, flies, etc.... Please grab some gravel - sand from parking lot and rub your hands well while washing to help get all bad scents off so we do not transfer it to anything we touch. (Cork handles, flies, etc...) Thank you **
-
-
Intrested in increasing your knowledge base for Fly Fishing for Bass and also sight fishing those flats?
Randy: We are about to send Rich Murphy’s new book Fly Fishing for Striped
Bass to print, and hope you can take a few minutes and help identify people, places, and circumstances
in several pictures of you on the flats at Monomoy.
Any details you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks kindly. Tom
-
Thanks, Randy. We are sending the book
to press in two weeks. It’s going to be terrific. Copies will be
available for shipment in September. People may pre-order so they get copies
before stores by going to www.wildriverpress.com

Regards, Tom
-
Everyone, I wouldn't recommend this book just because I helped with its production. I proofed it before going to press and it does have a lot of new information it. Normally its all been said before and is just in different words, but not this book.
-
Guest Testimonial:
Randy,
My dad and I had a great time on Saturday. It was a
perfect day and you were a lot of fun to be out there with. We learned
a lot about sight fishing the flats and I think it’s safe to say we’re pretty hooked
on it. You really helped us both improve of our casting skills and you got us
tuned up on locating, targeting, and landing the fish. That was just what we
were hoping for. Now all we need is some serious TOW…if I could only arrange
someone to show up at work for me while I’m on the flats I’d be all set.
Hopefully we’ll see you out there on occasion…though of course we’ll keep our
respectful distance. Anyhow, thanks again for a great day!
Attached are the pictures you took.
-Phil Jr. and Phil Sr.
-
Thanks very much for all of your kind words.
I had a blast also and am very happy all of your
goals were met. Thanks very much for the pictures
and as always your business. Randy

-
Randy Jones
http://www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Reports, Pictures, Ramblings, Tips and Articles
Old 07-05-2007, 01:14 PM
HoboFly Guy

Hey Randy,
I enjoyed reading about a week in the life of a shore guide.
Please don't stop writing ... disregard the cheapshot hecklers.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Past Sight Fishing Season?

What about mid October? Is there still decent sight fishing? I am going to be in Sandwich the week of October 14th and I am always looking or alternatives to beach and creek fishing.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Sponsor

Hi,
I have only fished once in Oct. here, many many years ago when I was a tender foot at this game. I was following the Fall migration of Bass down the coast and it was my first time here. All I did was blind cast.
I'm always running my guide business up on the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY for tackle busting (and they do daily Kings, Cohos, Browns and Steelhead during the Fall, Winter and Spring season's. I always leave at the end of August to vacation and prepare for my next 8 month season.
I've been told by very credible sources that it is more difficult to sight fish at that time of the year due to the lower angler of the sun. (Smaller visual cone - window)
Im hoping that someone here can help you better than myself on that subject. If not, then please start a new thread with your question.
There are many more very experienced fall wade anglers on here than myself.
I'm sorry I could not help in answering your question properly.
Best of luck!
Randy
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 PM

You answered my question just fine. I have fished Pulaski before and hooking into one of those fish is like hooking the bumper of a passing car.

My friends and I have been fishing the fall run for quite a few years now and we do fine and have a blast. I was just looking for something different and if you don’t bother staying around you answered my question.

Thanks Randy…