Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Tackle Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 12:35 AM
NausetDog

Orvis Rod Warranty: What's the current replacement model for a TRident TL?

Need some help.

I Snapped the tip off my Orvis Trident TL 9' x 9 weight Mid Flex 7.0. Maybe you all can set me straight if I'm wrong, because I got no where tonight w/ the Orvis customer service chat line.

1) The rep told me my Trident TL sold for $495 until they discounted it to get rid of inventory after they stopped making it in 2002. He said the current equivalent replacement was their TLS Power Matrix Rod. I pointed out that the TLS Power Matrix rod only sells for $295 and replacing a $495 rod with a $295 one isn't their guarantee which states if they can't repair it, to replace it with a rod of "at least equal value" Their T3 909-2, Tip Flex 10.0 Fly Rod that originally sold for $525 & is on sale right now for $295 which seems to be the closest equivalent to my rod.

2) I also told him I wasn't happy with the rod, and that it was too soft for casting into the wind and would like a stiffer tip. He told me he couldn't change rod models like that and could only replace it with a similar rod. When I suggested I just return the rod per their 100% satisfaction guarantee and get a gift card for $495, he said they couldn't do that. I quoted Orvis' guarantee which states
"The Orvis 100% Satisfaction Guarantee . For over 150 years we have offered the strongest return policy in the business. We will refund your money on any purchase that isn't 100% satisfactory -- any time, for any reason. It's that simple."
He said that guarantee doesn't apply to rods, but couldn't tell me where they published that this guarantee specifically excluded rods.
-I also gave him the link to their 100% guarantee return form: http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/15395OrvisW2ReturnForm060805.pdf
which says I can return my rod, request a gift card, and at the bottom of page 1, item # 3 specifically gives information on where to send "rods & reels" so how could he say rods were excluded

3) I was at the Boston, MA Orvis store recently and am wondering if I'd have better luck going in there to handle this with them. I'd actually prefer to just return the rod, get them to honor their guarantee I mentioned in #2 above & give me a gift card for $495 & then I could buy the T3 for $295 & save $200 Or even better the Zero G Saltwater 909-2 Tip-Flex 9.5 is on sale for $495.

4) Does anyone have any comments or experience on the T3 909-2, Tip Flex 10.0 or the Zero G Saltwater 909-2 Tip-Flex 9.5? My fishing is almost 100% for Stripers & Blues on Cape Cod, and I was hoping to try the Monomoy flats for the first time for False Albacore & Bonito. I'm looking for a better rod to cast into the wind than my current Trident TL 9x9 Mid Flex 7.0
Old 08-27-2007, 06:03 AM

the store will simply send the rod to the factory and the tip will be replaced. it is my understanding that they still maintain replacement parts for the tl.. your arguments about"satisfaction guarantee" and your attempt to get a new/stiffer replacement rod, not to mention trying to pick up $200 to boot, all sounds quite suspect and not very reasonable. you got years out of the tl. get the tip replaced, sell it on ebay and spring for the difference for the rod you want.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 AM
NausetDog

Thanks for the reply NMB.

I realize this might sound suspect, but this is the first rod I've ever broken and it was an honest mistake, not an effort to cheat Orvis. I'm not familiar w/ their return policy which is why I posted. I felt the rep was trying to cheat me w/ an offer to replace a $495 rod w/ a $295 one. I was surprised to learn Orvis stopped making the rod in 2002, because it was a gift to me two Christmas's ago, and had never been used when I received it. I've fished with it less than 10 times before it broke. Since I didn't like the rod action I thought they'd honor it under their 100% satisfaction warranty and issue me a gift card credit for the value of the rod.

I really do appreciate your reply. I'm looking for honest feedback which is why I posted and asked for other forum mebers to set me straight if I'm wrong.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM

NausetDog: The Orvis chat rep was incorrect telling you that the replacement for your damaged Trident TL rod is the TLS Power Matrix. It is the t3. Your Trident TL was their top of the line model until it was replaced by the t3, which, at that time, was their new top of the line model. The current TLS Power Matrix was their upgraded model of the Silver Label TL rod, which was a lower priced rod, but a really good rod. I have both so I know this to be true. You will also see in their current catalog that the t3 is listed under their Premium Rods and the TLS Power Matrix under their Mid-Priced Rods.

If your rod is unrepairable, Orvis' policy is to offer you a new model which currently compares to your damaged rod. Since the Trident TL is no longer available and was replaced by the t3, they should offer you your same model in the t3. If you don't like the tip flex of your current rod, you will probably have to pay a small "upgrade" charge to switch to a fast tip t3 rather than your slower one. You should do this when you receive your new t3 mid flex tip rod. Take it back to the Orvis shop and do the "upgrade" to the faster tip.

However, it appears that since only your tip has been broken, it can be repaired. In that case, I think you are stuck with a repaired rod in the tip flex you really don't care for. In that case, have it repaired and sell it.

Why not take it to your local Orvis shop and do a "face to face" with the fishing manager? I think you'll find that Orvis definitely tries to please their customers and you will most likely be offered a t3 replacement rod with the same flex as your original and then switch the "new" t3 replacement back at Orvis for the tip flex you want, and pay the "upgrade" charge for the faster tip.

All of this advice is based, of course, on whether you have your original sales receipt which gives you the Orvis great warrantee. Otherwise, Orvis has no way of knowing if you were the original purchaser of your rod and if not, their warrantee doesn't apply to your rod. Perhaps this is why you had a bit of a problem with their "chat" person as he may not have been certain you were the original purchaser.

Please post further regarding these suggestions and let us know if going to your Orvis shop helped you with your problem. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Call the Orvis Rod repair shop in Vermont & tell them you're sending the rod in for repairs. They'll let you know what they can do. The female ferrule on a Trident #9, my most fished fly rod had a hairline crack & they thought it could be repaired. Got a T3 mid flex in return because it couldn't be repaired. Asked for a T3 tip flex instead of the mid flex which they sent when I was surprised that it wasn't the Trident, & said I couldn't keep the mid flex which was obvious so sent it back, got the tip flex a week later. Great customer service from the more knowledgeable Orvis employees!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Non-Swimming Reel-Timer

I bought my TL 11wt at the Fishing the Cape tent sale a few years back for a tiny fraction of the original cost.

It was virtually new with a sock and aluminum tube and branded as "Demo" in the cork grip. A little 150gr sandpaper took that stamp out, but I suspect it's discounted situations like this that makes the support staff leery of TL returns.

I see their point about the return policy in regards to the rod action; if people don't like the action of the rod, they could just break it and ask for a different model in return.

I've never had a negative experience with Orvis and/or their staff.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Reel-Timer

We find the T3 Tip flex 9 wt. to be an excellent rod in the wind on our boat for the same species.

Our customer service experience with Orvis has been excellent as mentioned in a previous post.