Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Lost My Fly Rod and Reel Over the Side

I am embarassed to admit it, but I was fishing in Salem Sound this past week end and lost my fly rod and reel over the side. I was fishing the rocks to the south of Bakers Island and decided to move over to Beverly Cove. On the way over, my unsecured rod jumped into the air and went over the side with a sickening thud. My favorite reel (Redington AL 9/10, black) on my Orvis rod. Kinda ruined the rest of the week end for me. I did manage to catch a 29" striper on a spinning rod in Beverly Cove, but it wasnt the same. Lesson learned.. Always secure your rods when moving, even if it is a short distance. Anyone out there know of a redington AL 9/10 for sale, let me know. Tight lines.

Bob
Old 09-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Spoiled by Tuna

There are some divers on RT. Maybe someone could try to find it if you had a good idea of where it jumped ship.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 PM

I found a fly rod in 10 feet of water off of lynch park last year- a day after I lost a a stradic 4000 off my kayak off of Hosptal point-- that must be the bermuda triangle for lost fishing rods- if you lot it at high tide -there's a good chance you will find it at low if it was in beverly cove

Last edited by averagejoe; 09-14-2007 at 07:46 AM..
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 AM

That Sucks
Last Year I had the same thing happen but the reel was loaded with a floating line and the air trapped in the rod kep it floating just long enough for me to spin the boat around I got to it just as the tip went under. Then My gear bag flew out of the boat on the way home from Gloucester.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM

A cautionary tale for all.

I once causally let a fly on a tippet (attached to rod and reel) trail off the back of my canoe on Joppa during a June late PM tide. I had MAYBE 1' of tippet in the water. Anywho, a big momma bass sidled up to the canoe and sucked in the fly. I lunged for the rod and of course, over went the canoe and out came me and all my gear. Obviously I lived to tell about it but lost a whole lot of stuff and drowned a 3HP Johnson on a side mount bracket. Yah, I ditched the side mount and got a square stern canoe and new 3HP. And a new rod and reel. And a big hole in my ego and wallet.

Last edited by Cliffisher; 09-14-2007 at 09:28 AM..