Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Sponsor

9/13-9/15 Tuna Tuna Tuna!

Three days of fishing, three days of tuna. Three days without much sleep for Riptide. I'm going to combine these three reports and give highlights from each, since the rest of the stuff is all the same.

Each morning we launched out of PLymouth around 0730. We ran out into the bay under mostly calm conditions. The tuna have been easy to find and the surface feeds ahve been second to none.

Most days you could find huge feeds with a bunch of boats on them. HOWEVER if you looked a little harder and ran a little farther, you could find bigger and better schools of fish and NO OTHER BOATS! We chose to do the latter.

None of my sports had ever landed tuna on spinning gear before. Some had never even seen tuna before. So there were some ups and some downs. We had breathtaking surface strikes and hearbreaking breakoffs.

One epic battle lasted two hours on a fish that I saw 40' away as it circled. The fish was the second tuna my sport had ever hooked and it was every once of 125-150#. After 2 hours of sweat and pain the 50# flouro chafed through from the tunas teeth and set the fish free.

Other battles of note included Brian Casey as guest Capt on the boat today. My charter rescheduled due to a terrbile forcast. They were right in going with the weather because it was a horrible day to be on the water, but the fishing was solid. Casey got tight to a nice tuna that aired out and landed mouth open on his Ocean Lures Swimming Herring. After 30-40 minutes of dealing with one stubborn and angry tuna he got it close enough for me to gaff it.

This fish was allot harder to land than one on standup gear and Casey did a great job of working the fish in. He was smoked afterwards for sure.

But the effort was well worth it!

All of these fish were packed full of sandeels and Pnuts and all of them were a great size class with the smallest fish running 50# and the larger ones over 100#. We even had a surface feed of several hundred pound giants we watched as they ate 15# bluefish on the surface. What an AMAZING site.

The last few days have been spectacular. Lots of tuna landed. Acres and sometimes even MILES of tuna seen breaking. It was great to be a part of so many peoples first tuna.

The new boat continues to impress everyone that fishes on it. Durring the 2 hour fight the new boat and I got to dance. by the end of the two hours I had the big girl moving like a $1000 stripper. She spun and wheeled, backed hard and leaped around. All that was missing was some oil for the gold aftco gaff pole for us to spin around on.

Today the weather went to hell in a handbasket. We were off Race Point when the wind came up and the seas went 4-6's. NW winds at 30+ streaked the bay white. With Casey and Joe in the beanbags and Mike C and I at the helm, we listened as the charter fleet bemoaned the rough ride and slow slog back to the mainland. We all expected a serious butt kicking. What we got was a 27 minute, 40 mph rocket ride to Plymouth. Not only was it a fast ride, it was smooth enough that Joe nodded of twice on the ride back!!! When we got to shore none of use could believe how the boat simply ate up seas of that size at that speed. The boats ride is truely awe inspiring.

When we were putting the smack down on the tuna the lures we used were the new Ocean Lures Swimming Herring in Olive. This has been the hottest lure for us so far this season.

Coming in a close second and always rigged up on at least one rod is the blue Polish Sandeel 9". This lure has been nipping at the heels of the Ocean lures Herring, but it just doesn't cast as well so the OL Herring seems to get more fish.

Overall just a wicked week of fishing in the bay. I'll be OTW for the next two weeks so lets hope the fishing stays red hot.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Riptide Charters
www.riptidecharters.com

Last edited by riptide; 09-15-2007 at 04:31 PM..
Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Nice! way to go Terry!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Sponsor

One of my sports did this short video of their trip. This was the group with the two hour battle that we ended up loosing.

http://web.mac.com/jwareing/iWeb/baby/tuna07.html

Capt. Terry Nugent
Riptide Charters
www.riptidecharters.com

Old 09-16-2007, 10:09 AM

"The new boat continues to impress everyone that fishes on it. Durring the 2 hour fight the new boat and I got to dance. by the end of the two hours I had the big girl moving like a $1000 stripper"

Are you kidding me?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduck View Post

Are you kidding me?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Long Time RT'R

Plymouth

Terry,
It was great to meet you at the ramp this am. Thanks for the signals on the
waves. We turned around and did a little more bass wishing. Today was the worst day of bass fishing in Duxbury all season. There were some small fish under birds after the wind shift but nothing of any size.

It was a pleasure to meet your sports this am. Wow, I can fully understand how you passed on talking with anyone. I hope the rest of your day went well.

Now for a week of work, and hoping next weekend is better.

John
Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 AM

OL herring

Terry,

Had any luck in the other colors? I have several in blue and wonder if I should load up on olive if there is a big difference.

George
Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Good job Terry.

Nice fish there Case. Must have been a ball!!!

Mike
Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Sponsor

Javid,
Yeah sorry about stopping the conversation mid stream I kind of had my hands full

I tried to hail you on 16/68 to tell you more about the seas conditions but I gues sthe hand signals were enough. It was sloppy for sure. Plus I hear from the guys that did fish over there that things were a bit slow, I dont' think you missed much that day.

Anut,

I have a few in a blue/green. I have not tried them. Blue works the best on the Polish lures so I'd try the blue before buying any more.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Riptide Charters
www.riptidecharters.com

Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 PM

i bought some Ocean Lures and gave them a go sat (we left plymouth at 4:30am)

we dragged rubber for a while, then tried the ocean lures with no luck, we were able to get a lot of casts into several different pods away from all the fools driving there boat's through the pods.

whats working best for you when working the ocean lures?

also what drag settings are you using? the hooks feel weak, while i didn't straighten one with my fingers i was able to bent it.

as i recall my spinning gear has the lightest drag setting (20lbs) of any of my reels.

"Molon labe"
Old 09-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Terry & Justforme

Terry,

Thanks, I will try the blue. We were getting them to eat the wounded baitfish in a purplish back last week, but they do not cast that far so want to try the herring.

Justforme,

Accuracy is key - get the OL into the boils and twitch. I have my penn 9500's (yea I know) set to 14# of drag with the 50#PP.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Sponsor

I run 14-17# of dragon my 950s. They will go a bit more but I prefer a bit lighter especially with sports on the boat. There is less room for error with the higher drag settings.

I have had great luck witha mod/fast retrieve with a bit of rod tip action. The lure suns just on or just below the surface by a matter of inches. The Herring lure casts a freaking MILE! One of the best casting lures I throw at tuna. I can get the same distance as I can with most tin lures.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Riptide Charters
www.riptidecharters.com

Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 PM

thanks!

i picked up some of the polish sandeels, we'll be giving them and the ocean lures a try tomorrow.

"Molon labe"