Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-22-2007, 04:35 PM
capefly

Nauset Inlet

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but I couldn't seem to get any good info in the archives so I'll ask here again. What is the best way to access Nauset inlet by foot? I've never been out there before and I'm looking to fish it come this early October. Is parking at the lot at the end of Beach road and walking to the north the best way? Any helpful info would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Even though it is a hike I think that is the SOP. You hit the Gorilla Hole on your way.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

We always walked in from Priscilla Landing. Get a good map as the landing is several turns off Beach Road in Orleans. Walk out to the beach then, you can go up the inside of the spit or cross over and go up the outside to the North. That route will save you a half mile of walking and give you a chance to fish both sides of the spit.

That is one of my favorite places on the Cape. I often had just as much luck on the inside as on the outside beach. Like the inside the last couple hours of the going and first of the coming tide.

You can also walk down from Coast Guard Beach in Eastham but, I've never had anywhere as much luck on that side.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
New Reel-Timer

I fished it this July from the south side as ONSHORE suggests. It is a LONG walk, to say the least. My vacation week is the third week of July and if you remember the temps were high 90's and also high humidity. I went through 4 water bottles and on the way back filled my hat and doused myself to keep my body temp down, but, the fishing was pretty good. I did the outside on the way north and as I got up close to the inlet there was a lot less mung in the water and got several fish up to 28". There are several sandbars at the mouth and around to the ocean side that were quite good. Incoming on the way back was tough. Only two smallish fish and I was as hot as I ever want to be again. Long walk, but, good fishing. Good Luck!