Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 10-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Sponsor

GW Bush to make Stripers and Redfish a GAMEFISH!!!

This is on several other sites and the threads are runing 4 pages deep, I'm surprised its not on here yet. VERY important stuff.

Top Stories
Bush moving to gamefish status for striped bass, red drum
BY SUSAN WEST | SENTINEL STAFF

Gamefish status could be coming for striped bass and red drum, according to Sean McKeon, president of the North Carolina Fisheries Association, a trade group for the state's commercial fishing industry.

"We received confirmation Friday morning that President Bush plans to either issue an executive order designating the two species gamefish or to direct fishery management councils to do so," said McKeon.

The legal designation would place the species off-limits to commercial fishermen, removing the fish from the marketplace.

"This action would be a total circumvention of the fisheries management process established by Congress," said McKeon.

He said that commercial fishermen have shouldered harvest restrictions for both species and have anticipated sharing in less stringent regulations as the stocks have grown healthier.

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission officially declared striped bass recovered in 1995. Recreational fishermen harvested 81 percent of the 36.47 million pound Atlantic harvest in 2006.

The North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries lists the red drum stock as recovering. In 2006, North Carolina anglers harvested 216,115 pounds and commercial fishermen landed 168,489 pounds.

"There's no doubt that the President intends to take this action at the request of the CCA (Coastal Conservation Association)," said McKeon.

The CCA, an organization of sportfishermen and associated industries, began in Texas in 1977 with a campaign to make red drum, more commonly called redfish along the Gulf of Mexico, and speckled trout gamefish.

The group has secured gamefish designations in Texas, Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, Louisiana and other states.

Josh Bowlen, legislative director for Rep. Walter B. Jones, told the Sentinel Monday that Jones believes the President plans to send a strong statement in support of strict conservation actions to the regional management councils, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, and state fishery agencies as early as next week.

"Congressman Jones has asked folks within the administration to keep in mind that more than one sector depends on access to these species and that livelihoods are at stake," said Bowlen.

Katie Hallaway, communications director for Senator Elizabeth Dole, said Dole has expressed concern to the White House about the negative impact to North Carolina's commercial fishermen and small businesses.

"We must work to ensure that fish populations, like red drum and striped bass, remain strong. However, our commercial fishermen should not solely bear the responsibility of maintaining healthy fish stocks in the Atlantic," said Senator Richard Burr.

Outer Banks commercial fishermen said gamefish designations don't impact just commercial fishermen.

"Gamefish status will deny access to this public trust resource to people who want to eat striped bass or red drum but don't have either the time or the money or the desire to go recreational fishing," said Rob West of Buxton.

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Sponsor

http://obsentinel.womacknewspapers.c...s/tops0761.txt

Capt. Terry Nugent
Old 10-19-2007, 03:04 PM

You know...........as a fly-fisherman, mostly, and completely and totally non commercial fisherman here's my two cents. The commercial guys voluntarily accepted harvest restrictions with the promise; (remember that word used to mean something); that once the stocks rebounded to healthy levels they, along with the rest of us, would share in that bounty. Well, now that things are vastly improved they are getting the shaft if this is to pass. Go ahead, flame away, but those are the facts. Not that long ago I stood up at a public meeting which was organized by CCA on this very topic and spoke how I am speaking now. Yes, I was on the side of the auditorium with my fellow fly fishers and the opposite aisle was occupied by commercial guys. I was not well received by my so called "brethren of the long rod" but to sit there silently when I knew that this was wrong would also be wrong in itself. There are plenty of stripers to go around, in moderation, for all of us.

The commerical guys held up their end of the bargain , now is the time to pay back. Don't be selfish.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Maybe we can assign a Black Water guard to each striper and redfish.

sam
Old 10-19-2007, 03:25 PM
HoboFly Guy

Wow ... really?

Well, if GW does go thru with this .... then I'll take back all the mean stuff I said about him.

As for the debate .... has there ever been a horse beaten worse?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Wow ... really?

Well, if GW does go thru with this .... then I'll take back all the mean stuff I said about him.

As for the debate .... has there ever been a horse beaten worse?
Wow, an apparent liberal on a fly fishing forum. What a shocker!!

Anyhoo..........which debate do you refer to?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Some thoughts on the idea. First, if the president asks the councils and ASMFC to make Red Drum and Stripers gamefish.

The Councils have no jurisdiction over Striped Bass. Only ASMFC has it. I don't know about Drum.

ASMFC could not do it unless the majority of states agree to it. The majority of states signatory to the ASMFC compact have commercial fisheries and, it is inconceivable to me that those states would agree to such a designation. Each state has three commissioners with votes on all matters. One is appointed by the Governor, another appointed by the State Legislature and the other is a State Fisheries Director or his designate. I can't conceive of any state with a commercial fishery that could vote for gamefish because all votes are by concensus and two of the three commissioners woulld have to favor it.

That leaves "Presidential Decree" and that is a very special bird. Just think back to what other presidents have done by "decree" and, perhaps................

One thing I think we should all realize is that when you have congressmen, etc. talking to newspapers, etc. about something like this; there is a very good possibility that the president is considering just such a move and it has been "leaked" to guage public reaction. I think we should take the idea seriously,

Bill

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/

Last edited by Onshore; 10-19-2007 at 03:58 PM..
Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM
HoboFly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackduckhunter View Post
Wow, an apparent liberal on a fly fishing forum. What a shocker!!

Anyhoo..........which debate do you refer to?
Ha ... sorry friend ... I ain't taking that bait.
We'll just see how this President thing plays out.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:42 PM

Though I agree with his desired goal, GW circumvents his own govt. yet again. Power hungry mad-dog.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Ha ... sorry friend ... I ain't taking that bait.
We'll just see how this President thing plays out.
Oh darn................
Old 10-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFTIA View Post
Though I agree with his desired goal, GW circumvents his own govt. yet again. Power hungry mad-dog.
You know what? I'd enjoy and love the striper as a gamefish.............but at least I do so with admittedly purely selfish reasons. But, the fact remains, that it's going back on our collective word to do so after making promises to the commercial guys. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other but right is right, and anybody with a backbone and conscience and the memory to remember what was promised will see it this way and stand up for them.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

W's legacy is now assured.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 PM
meat slinger

how can the feds regulate state waters? have the states lost more rights??? i think if we read a little deeper into this, you'll see that they have no right to legislate to the states on this matter, and that in fact, this only has to do with the EEZ, which already bans the taking of striped bass. so this is basicly just a play on words.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambelly View Post
how can the feds regulate state waters? have the states lost more rights??? i think if we read a little deeper into this, you'll see that they have no right to legislate to the states on this matter, and that in fact, this only has to do with the EEZ, which already bans the taking of striped bass. so this is basicly just a play on words.
CB,

The states gave up their rights long ago when it comes to managing Stripers.

During the time when Stripers were in trouble, the states adopted the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Compact. It is a compact between the coastal states from Maine to Georgia. In doing so, they gave up their individual rights to manage Striped Bass in favor decisions made by the ASMFC. The legislatures in each state adopted the ASMFC Compact and gave up their option to regulate the species within state waters. In return for suborning their rights, the state receive many federal grants and funding for many projects that benefit Stripers or other species regulated by the Commission.

Congress has adopted the ASMFC Compact as the law of the land and accepted the fact that Striped Bass regulations would be made by ASMFC and, in the cast of Striped bass has made them the ultimate rate-making authority.

Each member-state has three commissioners. One is appointed by the governor, another by the ligislature and the third is the director of Marine Fisheries or his designee. The commissioners vote on all regulations-seasons, limits, quotas, etc. However, two of the three commissioners must agree on each states' vote at commission hearings. Through ASMFC the states have adopted length, bag limits and quotas(where there are commercial fisheries). Any state can amend those regs. just as long as what they adopt is more restrictive than the coastwide reg. or a "conservation equivalent."

Since it's inception, ASMFC has made some rulings that really upset some states and there have been a lot of threats to ignore the commission's rulings. When that happens a state is found in "non-compliance" and reported to the U.S. Dept of Commerce. If that happens, the commerce department notifies the state that that particular fishery will be suspended if the state's action is not corrected within a certain time. Congress has given the department the power to suspend all fishing for regulated species if a state is in non-compliance and fails to head their warning.

No state has defied the commerce department despite many threats.

You don't have to take my word on this. You can go to www.ASMFC.org and read the compact. Or, talk to Paul Diodati or one of the other Massachusetts commissioners to ASMFC.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/

Last edited by Onshore; 10-19-2007 at 05:51 PM..
Old 10-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Harpooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
This is on several other sites and the threads are runing 4 pages deep, I'm surprised its not on here yet. VERY important stuff.

Top Stories
Bush moving to gamefish status for striped bass, red drum
BY SUSAN WEST | SENTINEL STAFF

Gamefish status could be coming for striped bass and red drum, according to Sean McKeon, president of the North Carolina Fisheries Association, a trade group for the state's commercial fishing industry.

"We received confirmation Friday morning that President Bush plans to either issue an executive order designating the two species gamefish or to direct fishery management councils to do so," said McKeon.

The legal designation would place the species off-limits to commercial fishermen, removing the fish from the marketplace.

"This action would be a total circumvention of the fisheries management process established by Congress," said McKeon.

He said that commercial fishermen have shouldered harvest restrictions for both species and have anticipated sharing in less stringent regulations as the stocks have grown healthier.

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission officially declared striped bass recovered in 1995. Recreational fishermen harvested 81 percent of the 36.47 million pound Atlantic harvest in 2006.

The North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries lists the red drum stock as recovering. In 2006, North Carolina anglers harvested 216,115 pounds and commercial fishermen landed 168,489 pounds.

"There's no doubt that the President intends to take this action at the request of the CCA (Coastal Conservation Association)," said McKeon.

The CCA, an organization of sportfishermen and associated industries, began in Texas in 1977 with a campaign to make red drum, more commonly called redfish along the Gulf of Mexico, and speckled trout gamefish.

The group has secured gamefish designations in Texas, Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, Louisiana and other states.

Josh Bowlen, legislative director for Rep. Walter B. Jones, told the Sentinel Monday that Jones believes the President plans to send a strong statement in support of strict conservation actions to the regional management councils, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, and state fishery agencies as early as next week.

"Congressman Jones has asked folks within the administration to keep in mind that more than one sector depends on access to these species and that livelihoods are at stake," said Bowlen.

Katie Hallaway, communications director for Senator Elizabeth Dole, said Dole has expressed concern to the White House about the negative impact to North Carolina's commercial fishermen and small businesses.

"We must work to ensure that fish populations, like red drum and striped bass, remain strong. However, our commercial fishermen should not solely bear the responsibility of maintaining healthy fish stocks in the Atlantic," said Senator Richard Burr.

Outer Banks commercial fishermen said gamefish designations don't impact just commercial fishermen.

"Gamefish status will deny access to this public trust resource to people who want to eat striped bass or red drum but don't have either the time or the money or the desire to go recreational fishing," said Rob West of Buxton.
This is supposdily only going be in federal waters, which will mean no change form current rules. The striper commercial fisheries are all state run, and will not be affected by this order.

It would be a joke if this was going to make stripers a gamefish, the commercial sector is by far the smaller sector of the fishery and are often hand gear fisheries. It would be a joke to stop the smaller part of the fishery and keep the bigger part in the name of conservation.