Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Pre(y)dator

Los Roques + kayak?

I am going down to Los Roques for 8 days in mid-February and will be fishing for bonefish with a guide 2 or 3 days and DIY the rest of the time. It's my first time going there and I've already profited immensely from some of the posts here on Los Roques, so I won't ask some of the usual first-time visitor questions.

My specific question has to do with bringing a kayak down. I've got an inflatable kayak with a hard hull that collapses down to suitcase size. I've traveled to South America before with it and had to deal with small planes. I'm aware that the flight to Los Roques from Caracas is on a small plane, that baggage is subject to weight restrictions (surcharge over 10kilos), and that in general it might be a logistical nightmare getting the thing from Caracas to Los Roques. Assume, though, that I manage to do so -- the question is, will it have been worth all the trouble? I understand I'll be restricted to the "Recreational Zone", including Gran Roque and a handful of islands, but will the kayak in fact give me greater accessibility to pancake flats or other interesting fishing spots within that area? (My thought is I'd paddle to an interesting flat/island, anchor and wade). Or would I have to paddle for like an hour to get anywhere good? I just don't have a good grasp of the scale of distance between islands and flats within the recreational zone.

So to those that have some familiarity with the place, what are your thoughts on the cost/benefit of bringing a kayak down to Los Roques? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Might work for you but

it is a long distance from the main islands to the others. Do alittle research on which islands to start from. The boats will take you almost anywhere every morning. You need to plan your kayaking so you are back in time to get picked back up unless you camp out. There is a good chop and wind except in the lee of an island. Get to know the boat drivers (best if you speak spanish) and just ask them to drop you somewhere good to fish. I thought you could only fish the pancakes with a guide but there are flats or shore to wade on every island. Remember you are already fishing in waters that hardly anyone fishes in so catching bonefish is easier than catching stripers in alot of spots. If the guide wants you to fish Francisci save that for a diy and have him take you elsewhere.

Have a Great Time I can't wait to go back
Bill
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Pre(y)dator

Re:

BillN -- thanks for the reply. Based on your response, I think discretion will be the better part of valor here and I will leave the kayak at home. It sounds like there's plenty to explore on foot once a water taxi takes you out to an island.