Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 AM

Hobie revolution maiden voyage

Drove down from VT this past weekend with the new kayak still wrapped. Unwrapped it on my buddies driveway in Cotuit and used it all weekend. First moments were a bit uneasy. Foot pedals were not set in correct position so I couldn't extend my legs very far and my weight was too concentrated making the kayak feel very tippsy. Corrected the pedal length and all was right with the world. Kayak was great for getting to points and areas with less fishermen. Very stable and moved quickly through the water. Casting from the sitting position was OK but not the most comfortable so I decided to try sitting side saddle. This worked great and the kayak felt very stable. Sat on the hatch cover and used the seat as my stripping basket. Casts of 60 feet or more were no trouble from that poistion. Was able to position the kayak while side saddle using my right hand to pedal and left hand to steer putting the wind at my back. Was able to land a few schoolie bass and one nice blue casting side saddle. Legs could pedal all day with very little fatigue. Getting in and out took a little bit to get used to but after a few times was very easy. Took a chop well. For now (if ever), I wouldn't want to be in anything over a foot.

Things to change:

Footwear - Wading boots were too bulky and casued some foot fatigue after a few hours. A more comfortable sneaker style wading shoe with rubber soles and less bulk are on the list.

Line tender - The seat worked well but next time I think I'll try putting my stripping basket on the seat or make up some sort of matt with cones to keep line separated. Very important to stretch line BEFORE getting out on the yak. I was too excited to use the boat each day so I kept forgeting.

PFD - I used a manual self inflate PFD and it worked great. Buddy used a foam PFD and it was too bulky to cast comfortabely so he will be changing to a self inflate PFD.

Staff - Wish I had a staff with teather to anchor boat in the shallows to get out and cast. Hope to have one by next weekend.

Wheels - Inflatable wheels worked much better then the standard wheels for portage in sand.

Overall a great experience with some fish caught. I think I'm going to like this.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
albieholic

I would take a look at the extrasport osprey pfd thats what I use in the kayak and its not very bulky with space for fly boxes. Nice job on the fish.

Last edited by ShaneY; 05-19-2008 at 11:23 AM..
Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 PM
The truth is out there...

I have the revo and I find it to be a great boat. I agree that it is much more comfortable to fish side saddle.

I don't get out and wade, so before I launch I throw my boots in the hatch. It is much more comfortable to pedal in stocking foots.

I'm too much of a wimp to use an inflatable wader. I figure that if I go over the side, something very bad has happened and I want to be able to float without inflating anything. Be careful!!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
HoboFly Guy

That's cool .. you got yourself a hobie.
You must have been excited driving down from VT to try it out.

I used to have an Outback, and I liked using Teva style sandals for pedaling and wading. A size bigger than normal. Just another option.

I made 3 different kayak carts before I gave up and bought the roll-eez cart.
I was just wasting my time before .... it's the best .. especially for those trips over the sand.

Good for you man.
-G

Last edited by G-Man; 05-19-2008 at 01:22 PM..
Old 05-19-2008, 02:09 PM

My buddy uses the Outback, also a very nice boat. The Outback was a bit more stable and we did not notice any real difference in speed. The Revo was easier to side saddle which I think is a must if you flyfish. Outback was a little deeper so side saddle was not as comfortable. Both had plenty of cargo space. Landing blue fish was not easy and would recommend a boga. Both are around 60 pounds and it's a heavy 60 so the wheels are important if fishing alone or portage is longer then a hundred yards or so.

It's only Monday and I can't wait till the Thurs to head back down for the weekend. Hopefuly the weather and fish will be more coopoerative. Great little boat.