Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Sponsor

Archives: 1,000's of bass per tide migrating daily. Cape Cod Outer beach's, NOW! Sig

Archives: 1,000's of bass per tide migrating daily. Cape Cod Outer beach's, NOW! Sight/fly/spin
------
I found this and other old post's of mine to be interesting, exciting and just as a good of a report then, as now, sight fishing fly/spin info. you might all enjoy! (Since Bass all arrive to the same area's between a 3 and 10 day window - Thru tagging studies - weather dependent.)
These reports come from 1,000's of hours, T.O.W. of study and 100's of miles of walking - wading these Cape Cod outer beach's during a high sun (sight fishing) beach's around the high thru the low and back to the high, during May, including all summer, while guiding and just plain ol fishing FUN!. Studying and deciphering this incredible migration of bass, that is presently happening again, as it does yearly.
Best Fish's,
Randy
----------------

SIGHT FISHING, 500 TO 2,000 BASS NOW! Any Outer cape cod beach. Wade fly or spin. Need perfect conditions to work. Lil or no swell, high tide around noonish, sunshine.
A good heart as the adrenaline well go into over drive when you cant get the fish in and off your line fast enough to be prepared for the next pod of 500 bass coming down the beach right at you!
This is basically a May thing. Dont expect this (these incredible numbers) to be happening all summer, because it does not. During the rest of the season you will basically be sight fishing to the resident bass that call these Cape waters home.

-----

Next post will start to cover the migration of Bass that you can "wade
sight cast fly/spin" too in 1-4 feet of water off any outer cape beach.
During THIS month it's as good as it get's for easy to catch Bass while
sight fishing. Under the correct conditions you WILL see 500 to 2,000
Bass swim by you in a 6 hour window. Believe it or not. I wouldn't
believe it unless I've done it for these past many many years. Many of
you can probably remember when I first started posting and writing about
this as know one else was Years ago myself and a small group of hard
core fishing fanatics were the only ones doing this. Even some of the
old salt's didnt know about these sight fishable Bass. Tony Stesko was
the only other person that I know of that already knew about this. He has always been and always well be one of the MOST highly respected guides in my area (Nauset Beach) that I respect and have read for many years. I can only HOPE to reach some of his incredible Fish Whispering knowledge!
Opening your eyes to this incredible Spring time sight fishing early season offering. Enjoy
-----

May Sight Fishing the Outer Cape Cod Beaches
May Sight Fishing the Outer Cape Cod Beaches

Reel-Time Sponsor - www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Reports

Seeing 1,000's of Stripers !! - Several years ago article and report.

May 1, 2002 it was sunny and the surf was forecast to be 1 to 3 feet. As I walked out towards the open ocean on this cold blustery morning, memories of past surf sight fishing adventures filled my mind. Seeing thousands of Bass in a tide, watching them run almost between your feet. Fish (20-28 inch's today) eager to inhale my almost perfectly cast fly or sluggo. It was all almost too easy.

What would today bring? All of the above.

If you're the type of angler that loves to sight fish to some of the dumbest fish (easiest to catch, any fly works) of the season than read on. Most flats anglers believe that sight fishing is a summer game, which can be done only on the flats. They say, May 1, the waters to cold, not on the flats yet, can't sight fish until end of May. If I was to tell you all that presently there is a major migration of bass moving up the New England beaches that can be easily sight cast too with flies and lures would you believe me? This is some of the finest, easiest, world class sight fishing and it's happening NOW, in your own backyard. Need a guide, nope. Need a boat, nope. Need to cast 60 feet, nope. Even Ray Charles could sight cast to these fish. . (he-he)
-
First off, if you enjoy crowds, this is not for you. I walked about 3 miles that day and saw 1 person who was out for a long jog. I owned that beach! My only steady companion's were the shimmer of the sun on these crystal clear water's, the light colored sand beneath my feet, sound of the surf, a strong West wind that was being blocked by the high sand dunes, the adrenaline that kept racing up my back and over a 1,000 striped bass that passed me by during my tide.
-
Notice the dark spots in the center of photo, those are a school of bass in 2-3 feet of water migrating North. Believe it or not, this photo was taken into the sun with NO polarized lens. Normally these types of photo's you would never see the dark spot created by all the fish. (Just glare) BUT, because they were packed SO tight and SO many, these pic's came out so-so to ok (Im no pro, nor do I use pro photo equipment)
-
If you have heart problems, than I would forego this type of fishing. It's so peaceful and serene that when all of a sudden you sight 500 bass 100 yards down the beach and slowly approaching, your heart will start to race with the anticipation of what's about to happen. I Ray MON! The closer they get, the more your heart reminds you why you love this sport. For many years I've experienced this reoccurring migration and my heart still races. Will this be a school of all keepers? Well they be blues? Will they come with in casting range? Will I flub up my first cast due to the excitement and have to go racing down the beach to get back in front of the school to present my fly again?

Here are a few helpful tips to help you along the path to hooking up in paradise.

(See Photo's - Fishing Reports - www.yankeeangler.com ) Reel Time Sponsor
-
No, not THAT kind of hooking up. Mustad Signature Series Hooks.
The breast there is! They would have to be super strong to hold her top up!
I use them (the hook's) exclusively. http://www.mustad.no
-
One of the simplest tips I could give you is if you don't see them, don't cast. They are simply not there. One of the best parts of this type of fishing is it's a great time to stand up high on the dunes and chat with your friends. Keeping a watchful eye down the beach. When you see a large black blob moving slowly towards you, its time to walk to the shoreline and prepare to cast. Simply throw it out in front of or even right on their heads and get ready. It's that simple. Any type of retrieve, at any speed, with any fly, lure will produce some action. There are NO smart or spooky fish in this bunch. It's like taking candy from a baby. The best part is being able to see the follow, take, head shakes and then the run. Up for the challenge? Email me.
-
What direction should you be looking? Hmmmm lets see, that's a tuff one. 100% of the fish are migrating up the coast line towards the North presently. I look in one direction only and that's to the South. All of the outer Cape beaches either run North or South so you've got a 50-50 shot of getting it right.
-
(See Photo's - Fishing Reports)
-
(A 40 inch'a from the surf, sight fishing in 2 feet of (wash) water crystal clear-light colored sand with a 2 handed Orvis, 14 foot, 9 weigh, fly rod) Congrats Bill O'Mally.
-
Something I know we will see more of as the rest of us get older is the use of more 2 handed fly rods. I'll post an article later this season on why, but mainly it is because it makes it almost effortless to cast. No more double hauls, the rod does ALL the work for you. I know Bill also has a bad shoulder so that was the main reason for him going to a 2 hander. No more aching shoulder problems for Bill. The only time I've ever heard Bill grip about a sore shoulder is after an incredible day of catching fish. Let's all get out or lil violins and play Bill a sad-sad song. Congrats again on a fine sight fished Bass. Don't get much bet'a!
-
My good friend Bill O?Mally caught and released this 39 inch (lets just round it off to a nice even number like 40-inch'a on a fly last year during the migration!. He saw it swimming in 2 feet of water on a sunny day at high noon on an outer Cape beach. He choose to release it, so it could produce more offspring for all of us and our children's pleasure (Personally, I have nothing against keeping an occasional fish for the dinner table, but prefer to release them, myself.)
-
We all need to remember that we are the stewards of our environment. If it were not for conservative minded people 20 years ago, we would not be enjoying the fruits of their labor today. Please remember that: "A fish is to valuable a resource to only be caught once."
"The fish you release today may have been a gift from another fisherman, as it may have been a gift to him."
Lee Wulff
-
The 2 main ingredients you need to enjoy this banquet are sun and fairly calm seas for best results. What fly should you use? I find the ones that are beat up, falling apart; old ones that are gathering dust or the ones you tied and are too embarrassed to show to your friends work the best. Why use your nice ones when it does not make a difference to these fish. Big, small, bright or natural colors all work. Save your nicer ones for later in the season when you HAVE to match the hatch. Save your fluorocarbon for those educated resident bass in July and August. 9 foot - tapered to 20 lb. test (or more) works fine for me if I'm fly fishing or for spinning I'll go 15-20 lb. (The lighter your mono, the further you can cast your lures) But as we just learned, some of the biggest fish are swimming at your feet!
-
If you love to sight fish your quarry. Then its prime time to hit any outer Cape Cod beach for some of the finest and easiest sight fishing known to man.
-
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
-------------

Old Exciting Sight Fishing Reports, humor, beach migration pictures, sharks on flats
Old Sight Fishing Reports pulled from past years archives, hope you enjoy them as much as I did writing them:
-
5/11 - Bass River Sand Flats:
Worked the afternoon incoming tide with the bright sun over head and saw about 350 Stripers and 12 Blues in about 3 hours. Schools of 5 to 50. All within easy casting range with a fly rod in 3-5 feet of crystal clear water and light colored sand. They would not eat the squid fly so I finally started to get them on a 5 inch sand lance pattern. (This is the same pattern that was featured several year's ago in "Fly Fishing in Salt waters" magazine along with another 5 top New England Guides "go to fly" Later this season I'll post an article-reciepe on this one fly (Sand Lance) that has caught myself and guest's more fish than I can count.
-
(See Photo's www.yankeeanlger.com - Fishing Reports) Reel Time Sponsor
-
5/12
Outside Cape Cod Beach:
Walked to the outside and WOW, some interesting changes have taken place. It was fun to explore some brand new bars, points, bowls. As the tide turned and started to rise I saw approx. 1500 stripers in 2 hours within casting range. Schools of 50 to 200 swam in as little as 1 foot of water. Some keepers were in the mix. They ate the squid fly reeeeeel good! Bright sun, high noon, crystal clear water and nothing but the sound of the surf to keep me company.
-
5/14
Today I waded an outside Cape Cod Beach with the sun and counted no less than 2,000 bass migrating by me within casting distance in 1-4 feet of water. Today was not a day about simply catching, but also a day of learning. With all the new bowls, coves, bars and channels I was more interested in figuring out the exact route they were taking at all parts of the tide. It was interesting to discover how their migration route changed as the tide rose and fell. At exactly 2 hours before the low until 1 hour before the low I did not see a single fish.? (This is normally the fastest part of both tides Hhmmmm.) Then it was like someone opened the flood gates. I had to rush to release each fish as I could see another school moving towards me down the beach. At one point I missed a fish in one school, so I just jogged down the beach and got in front of the same school. Cast out and got one. Hint-hint.
-
Both days I enjoyed throwing the two hander. Its an Orvis 9 weight, 14 footer. Its nice not getting whacked in the head with a clouser any more!
--
Sharks on the flats.
-
5/12 and 14
-
-
Notice the dark spot in the center of photo? That's a school of about 200 Bass. This is a normal occurrence during the month of May. This week they have all been mostly schoolies with a few Blues. As each day pass's you will notice a slow increase of size of Bass and more Blues. All are within casting range of a fly rod in 1-4 feet of crystal clear water! These fish are on fire and not easily spooked I love this type of fishing. Its visually exciting and also relaxing while you get absorbed into this incredible habitat. I never blind cast in these situations because if you don't see them, then they are simply not there. Some of these schools have been spotted over 100 yards away as they travel shallow, slow and can at times be in schools as big as your house or bigger! Even I can catch these fish! (he-he)
-
For the next 2, 3 weeks expect 500- 2000 stripers per day migrating along the outer Cape beaches with-in casting range. Expect there size to increase every few days until most will be in the 30 inch and above range mixed in with Blues. If sunny, sight fishing for them as they cruise along the beach in schools of 50-200 (Average) within 30 feet of the shoreline will be an optional treat. Expect blues to be mixed in. For the Blues I enjoy working a surface popper when sight fishing. (One year I was throwing a white gurgler with a 6 inch tail on it for Blues. It was fun to watch their heads come out of the water and see their teeth chomp down on the tail of the fly. But, it was not fun watching them swim away with out getting hooked? Then it hit me, go back to your beginnings young cricket. Remember when you were in "want-a-be" school and you learned that Stripers normally hit the head of their bait and Blues normally hit the tails. With a gurgler, the hook was at the head of the fly and that's why I was missing them. I excitedly switched to a popper. Problem solved, FISH ON!!)
-
I personally have found that most of these outer beach Bass migrating cruisers do not like surface poppers or gurglers. Instead keep your fly sub-surface with any type of line.
-
What I find to be the most visually exciting is to fish a big fly (Herring, Squid) on a floating line. Watching them break from the school to chase your perfectly cast (ahemmmm) fly to the surface with reckless abandonment, inhaling it with eagerness as if it was to be their last meal.
-
Mr. Squid after being almost eat'n as it had been chased by a pod of Stripers up onto the flat we were fishing.
--

Sunday morning caught myself surfing the Saltwater Web sites, sipping coffee, day dreaming of surf, blue bird skies, crystal clear water over light colored sand flats,
-
-
girls in bikinis - errrr, I mean, cruising blues and bass on the shallow flat's

--
5 fish - 2 o'clock! , throw it 12 O'clock, 50 feet ! O.K. , let it sit there, dont move it, stay low, here they come, get ready, Now strip it, strip it! faster, 2 fish just broke from the school, strip it - strip it, their nose is on it, there on it, keep stripping, their on it,
-
-
He ate it! Ye-haa!! What a honk'a!!! (John Halnon Photo)
-
Early Saltwater Striper Report:
Some keepers have been caught South of Cape Cod. Schoolies are arriving daily on the Cape. South side best. Tidal rivers, creeks, mud bottom preferred habitat. If you can find some warm water (55 degree's is best) then that's the spot to fish. Sinking line with a slow retrieve works best. Then throw on any old bright fly. If the slow retrieve dose not get them, then try a quick 1-1/2 foot strip. The migration has started earlier than most anyone can remember. These are new, fresh fish.
Randy Jones
Fishing Reports
-
Thank you all for your words of encouragement, kind words and your continued support. Ill continue to do my best in sharing what I've learned through, experience, experimentation, borrowed ideas and taught techniques.
-
Stay tuned for more important lessons learned on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.
-
I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you for free will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing. If what I have posted helps just one person catch a fish, think twice before wading into an unfamiliar area, than all of my time and energies spent writing this piece will be well worth it.
Randy
(Your Saltwater Inshore Wade Cape Cod Guide Fly/Spn)
www.yankeeangler.com
-
Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Sponsor

S.E. Cape - Wed. afternoon,
We hit a couple of fish, only in the fast water over a hole, with strong winds. (Hint Even tho we had fish on the surface just out of reach and all water temp's were correct.
-
I went for a lil walk on my own late afternoon when I had pure sun and a good tide (with the wind at my back) off an outer cape Beach, to look for migratory fish, on their main path. Found'm BUT Good while sight fishing with the fly rod! I had a sand bar breaking the waves for me 100 yards out, so I was fishing on an almost pond, in the Big surf. Watching 100's of Bass migrate past me with some hook-ups on mostly schoolies and a couple keepers.
-
I apologise for not having the time to update my personal website with some of the pictures that go along with my original post. Been reeeel busy scouting for you and guideing. Try to update it all soon.
Go get'm, this weekend looks like a winnner for ya!
Ye-haa!
Best Fish's,
Randy
Old 05-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Seals Infest South Beach

Fished South Beach yesterday - walked a couple miles south from the boat drop off before starting, then fished down from there. There are certainly fish around, in singles and small groups - fives, sixes, but no sign of pulses of medium to large schools moving up the coast. It was very hard to catch them. SEALS. We must have seen a thousand if we saw one. There are two HUGE collections of them way down the beach. In the water, they sat just offshore, making any bass between them and the beach move at the speed of light. Relaxed fish they were not. Nonetheless, there were plenty of shots at a few more obviously feeding/cruising (as opposed to praying) fish, and it was a beautiful day in a beautiful place.

Reports from the inside / other non-ocean areas were good.