Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-24-2008, 06:19 PM

The Dump, SW corner, 8/22

It was happenin' at the Dump on Friday. We nailed about 20+ Mahi to 18 lbs, found a pod of big ones and had them under the boat for 40 mins. (Attached a photo of a nice bull). They were set up on the high flyers, at least the ones that hadn't been pulled for a few days. Also came across a big log around the NW corner, must have had 30 fish on it. Only a few boats were out, most trolling for Tuna it seemed. We did see some tuna action, hard to tell if YFT or BFT from the splash, the water was about 74 degrees, we suspect Albacore or YFT, had no luck ourselves, but we had come for the Mahi anyway. Friends went out Saturday with the same results, just lumpier conditions. Fish are in close enough for the smaller boats, was worth the trip for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahi.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	832.7 KB
ID:	12895  
Old 08-24-2008, 07:05 PM

dump

Do you run out of MV ? If so is a 21ft cc big enough on a good day? Not looking for exact location but is 10 to 15 miles south in the area?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM

congrats!
Great looking fish/color
Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Break Neck Speed

That is just insane!! What a beautiful Mahi that is. I got a nice peanut Mahi last year off of Charlestown and was really stoked but i would love to get into fish of that quality.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 PM

Went down to the same area about two weeks ago and found the same thing. Few tuna but big mahi up to about 30 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahi08.01.08 001.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	12898  
Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 AM

Would you mind sharing what you were doing to catch the mahi. Always been a dream of mine to get one of those in that area!
Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Wayne-
It's a goodly run, maybe 45 miles S-SW of Devils Bridge beyyond the SW corner of the Dump (clearly marked on the charts). We put on 165 miles overall, were running on fumes when we got back to Falmouth. I suppose you could do it in a 21 ft boat but probably not enough fuel capacity and if the weather were to turn around you could be very sorry.

Brad-
When they were lit up they'd take almost anything but they were often fussy, our go-to setup was 6 ft 30 lb fluro with a 3/0 gamakatsu hook baited with squid strip and a skirt over the top. Used a .5 oz rubber core sinker about 4 ft up the leader. Worked pretty well. Just pull up easy on any high flyer and drop in your baits and if the fish are home they'll be out in a minute or two.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM

Thanks Lunatic-Sounds like a blast! Good for you for getting it done!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 PM

I agree with Luna Tic.

A charter fisherman out of Cape May, NJ taught me how to tease the bull and/or cow out from under a highflyer. Troll as close as you can by the buoy passing your outermost lure right by the highflyer. Just as the lure passes, slow down briefly, rev the engines, and speed back up. I know this sounds crazy, but I have watched this guy pull one bull and/or cow out from under each buoy out in the Hudson Canyon. I have tried it with only intermittent success up north. I have outboards, he has deisel inboards....does it make a difference?

Brad, the above bull came out of nowhere. There were no buoys, floating debris, or weed. He slammed the far starboard green tuna clone on the outrigger. Several of his chicks then proceeded to hit my spread over the next 20-30 minutes. I never saw the cow.

74 degree water, 10-15 miles southwest of the dump, and in about 40 fathoms.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Finicky Mahi

If you get the finicky Mahi hanging around debris etc.. the best is a live bait thrown in there. They can't resist.

The technique you describes is also quite good. I stop and let the lures sink way down and then take off and as they run back up to the surface the Mahi can't resist.

We get that situation down here in Key West quite often around full moon. The fish do not hit the straight trolled baits and are usually hanging deeper. When you let the lures drop and then take off again it drives them crazy. You will also find that if you try it with debris that has small fish on the surface many times there is a much larger one down deep that comes up and hits only after you stop.

A whole ballyhoo on a bucktail jig will also work. Drop it down deep and jig it back as you put the boat in gear and drive away. It jigs from down deep up to the surface.