Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-16-2000, 08:02 PM

Anyone see 60 minutes?

Looks like our water supply is heading for BIG TROUBLE!!!!
Anyone know of any testing for MTBE on the Cape?
Old 01-16-2000, 10:06 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

RE: Anyone see 60 minutes?

Yes, I saw it Tony. It is scary to know that they aren't doing anything about it, as they don't know what to do. It is not only Cape Cod but all of the 48 states. If it is getting into the ground water, what is going to happen to our rivers, and ponds? and you thought acid rain was bad!!
Old 01-17-2000, 05:37 AM

Figures I missed it, what was it about?
Old 01-17-2000, 06:30 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

What it is about is the gasoline additive MTBE is getting into our ground water, they are blaming leaking gasoline storage tanks. In 10 gallons of gasoline 1 gallon is MTBE. Right now it is showing up in our wells and water supplies. Cleaner air, and dirtier water. Nothing was said about our fish.
Old 01-17-2000, 09:14 AM

oh great! just what we needed... sometimes I wonder what kind of a world will be left for my kids. will they ever have the option of hunting and fishing(in their radiadtion suits?)
Old 01-17-2000, 09:30 AM

Nothing worse then tying a reply and getting an error when u post!!
Anyway... MTBE gos thur the ground faster then any pollutant, EPA and other agencies knew about this and did nothing. They have not even tested this stuff! really gives me faith in EPA! Think about all the gas that gets spilled at the dock, pond, homes etc.
Long pond in brewster has had fish kills the past 3 years. This pond allows large outboards and jet skis, I have seen gas spilled at the ramp while guys were gasing up the jet skis.
Cliff pond in brewster is another in my area, last year two dogs drank water and died, this year again there r warning signs posted.
I was waiting for the asteroid to hit, but, looks like this may be first!
Old 01-17-2000, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the run down Art.
Interesting in that I have had this nagging thought about this type of thing for some time, wondering what this world will be like for my 4 year old when he grows up.
All I can do is to do my best and show him how to enjoy nature right now.....including flyfishing!
cul
Old 01-17-2000, 01:25 PM

We as fisherman, both commercial and recreational need to take a greater stance in the protection of our water resources along with all the talk about yields and stock numbers. I don't hear anybody talking about water quality issues on these boards. Notice how many hits have been made to the conservation board? People better wake up and smell the roses before it's too late. We have already ruined a third of the earths' usable water. During the next century water will become as valuable a resource as oil and will be the next breeding ground for wars between nations. I urge all of us as sportsman to make an effort to join a local watershed or water protection group and sound out to our elected leaders that we protect these resources.
Old 01-18-2000, 10:27 AM

http://www.earthisland.org/bw/MTBEfacts.shtml

This has a few facts about MTBE releases from two-stroke and PWC engines.

If you are really interested, try EPA's webpage and search for MTBE, you'll get about 1000 references.

Haven't found any yet that discuss bioaccumulation in fish yet, but would be interested. If anything relevant comes my way, i'll post it to the conservation board.
Old 01-18-2000, 09:03 PM
Reel-Timer

MTBE can be found in many of the ponds on the cape, especially ones were gasoline engines are used. Ever notice that sheen coming from the outboard? Only takes a small amount (less than a gallon) to contaminate alot of water. It is not related to the size of the outboard or type of water craft. Once in the water, MTBE does not easily volatize like the other gasoline components.
MTBE is also found in car exhaust and rainwater. It is also found in the blood of people who live in dense urban areas.

The fish kills in Brewster were not related to MTBE pollution. The dogs that died from drinking water last year were killed by a type of algae that is highly toxic. For some reason, there was a high concentration of the algae in a vernal pool where the dogs drank.

The lesson to be learned here is that the environment is very fragile, and even a small amount of pollution can be disasterous.