Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 06-14-2000, 10:27 AM

wind fron the east-fish bite least

Here on Nantucket we have had an east wind almost constantily for the past 2 weeks. It has really shut the fishing down.Why is the saying wind from the east- fish bite least- wind from the west- fish bite best so true. any ideas??
Old 06-14-2000, 11:24 AM

RE: wind fron the east-fish bite least

I don't have any particular theory as to why that statement holds true but at least in my experience this year I've had bad outings in all my usual spots on the east wind.
Old 06-14-2000, 12:37 PM
Publisher

I hadn't heard that expression before, but I have experienced the lousy fishing (although I associate it more with the Noreast).

I'm thinking that it is probably an Atlantic coast expression? Since in the most general terms, the east wind on the Atlantic coast is equivalent to an offshore breeze, it probably just means bigger surf and rougher water?

That's my guess.

Thorne
Old 06-14-2000, 02:00 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Probably an Atlantic, East Coast saying - East wind means onshore in many places along the coast - onshore can make the water rough, mucky and, this time of year, cold.

The way I was taught it was:

When the wind is from the east
it blows no good for man nor beast
when the wind is from the west
the fishing is at its very best
when the wind is from the north
the skillful fisherman goes not forth
when the wind is from the south
it blows the bait in the fish's mouth

Pop taught me - he heard it from someone on LI LONG, LONG time ago.

PS: I ignore the north part.
Old 06-14-2000, 06:17 PM

Actually, when I checked my logs from the past few years, I found just the opposite. Granted, it only applies to stripers, but an East wind has produced slightly more fish in my experience. However, the difference was small enough to discount it as a major factor.

So, maybe it should be "Wind from East, stripers feast".

Al
Old 06-14-2000, 07:58 PM

I lived in Michigan for part of my life and I heard saying "Winds from the east fish bite the least...." there too.
Old 06-14-2000, 09:39 PM

I'm from Illinois and I learned that saying from my grandpa 35 years ago. Winds from the westerly direction always gave a chance of stormy weather...always the best time to fish.The best barometric conditions always seem to arise with the westerly wind.
This year has been equally productive for me on west or east.Without going into detail,I will guarantee you this season so far has not been dictated by the wind direction. If you don't have a fly in the water...you just don't know.
The Dr.
Old 06-15-2000, 10:16 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Funny, when I was a surf fisherman BB (before boat) I wanted the east wind to drive the bait closer. I had some very nice blitzs on the east wind, especially bluefish. In fact the best day of fishing I ever had in my life was on a strong august Northeaster at the mouth of the Merrimack. This time of year the east wind drives cold water inshore and probably stops the action. In the summer/fall I think the effect is to energize the fishing because of the colder water, and bringing in offshore bait.
Old 06-15-2000, 05:41 PM

I suspect you are right in your assumptions. I have found early in the east winds bring the cold water in and fishing is horrible. Conversely, asthe summer season progresses warmer water is blown to shore on east winds and the bait follow and then the hungry predators. Also, the fall Nor'easters bring fish close to shore.